Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDeath Star II Style Hangar

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, what they said. Fantastic. :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Cheers once again guys.

Have completed one of the last major pieces of the puzzle today, the Hangar's control room. Worked out the layout for this based on the limited screen time that the location had, and from various other reference of elements used in there. Such as the elevator entrance which gets reused in the Emperor's Throne Room, the Duty Station, and the consoles. Let us know what you think.

Not much left to go now.

Hangar_WIP_83.jpg

Hangar_WIP_82.jpg

Hangar_WIP_84.jpg

Hangar_WIP_85.jpg
    96531.jpg96532.jpg96533.jpg96534.jpg
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    wow ... very cool! From where did you got all that references
    Thanks. The references are all just based on movie screenshots. The control room interior features in a few shots during Vader's shuttle's approach sequence. From these I had to extrapolate what the room layout was and then fill in other details myself. As I said earlier some of the elements also feature in other shots. The console screens for example feature later in the movie on the Executor's bridge when the Rebels sneak past in their stolen shuttle using the stolen codes. Additionally clearer shots of the Imperial Duty Station can be seen later still when the Death Star commences firing its superlaser and there is a shot of Moff Jerjerrod giving the order. The details are all there, you just have to go hunting for them a bit.
    wow ... I need to investigate a bit more :)
    Heh, well that is one of the things I'm quite good at. On the First Strike mod for example, I initially came on as a lore expert rather than a modeller (didn't have the time back then to fully dedicate to working as an artist on the mod), so my first job was enhancing the mod's reference library, be that screenshots from the movies, or photos of models, props, schematics from books, whatever. So we'd have as complete a collection of reference as possible for when production began. So I have a hard drive stuffed with all this crap, not to mention my own personal stash of reference books and the like from over 30 years of being a Star Wars fan.

:p

Though have to admit you have me bested with having the Blu-Rays (haven't made that leap yet. The more they keep nabbing what would normally be standard dvd extras and making them Blu-Ray exclusives, the more they put me off investing in them), you can get so much more detail out of those screenshots when compared to dvd.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Looks like it should. Good job!
  • jeffabbyjeffabby171 Posts: 32Member
    nice work love the hangar area
    Looking great. I can practically hear that one dude: "TK-421, why aren't you at your post?" :D
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very cool!
    Looking great. I can practically hear that one dude: "TK-421, why aren't you at your post?" :D

Heh heh, cheers fella, though that is from a quite a different looking location. This one would be more like:

"inform the Commander that Lord Vader's shuttle has arrived."

:p
    Yeah, I know. For one thing, the room in Star Wars didn't have the big black round console in the center.
  • Dansolo1Dansolo10 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great, reminds me of when I tried to build the detention centre...wow...nearly 10 years ago. I couldn't get decent references for those consoles.
    Once again just get screenshots from the DVD or Blu-ray and you can gather quite solid reference for that thing. That version of the asset from ANH is quite different again, with accents of brushed metal for the rim sections and more tangible greeble like details for the panels as opposed to the simpler flat screens used in the latter movies for the Imperial Duty Stations. If you want some decent reference fo it just let me know and I'll post a few images for you.
  • Martok2112Martok21120 Posts: 0Member
    This looks awesome! Well done! :)
  • Dansolo1Dansolo10 Posts: 0Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Once again just get screenshots from the DVD or Blu-ray and you can gather quite solid reference for that thing. That version of the asset from ANH is quite different again, with accents of brushed metal for the rim sections and more tangible greeble like details for the panels as opposed to the simpler flat screens used in the latter movies for the Imperial Duty Stations. If you want some decent reference fo it just let me know and I'll post a few images for you.

Hi, thanks for the offer but I've not looked at it in years and I switched from lightwave to Maya back in uni so would have to convert it all and no doubt remake lots of it.
    This next brace of shots illustrates the work I've done on the deck of the hangar, basically adding details such as markings on certain specific panels, landing strip details and runway lights. Next up it'll be time to put a roof on this thing.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.
    Those look great. I especially like the "looking out of the control room" picture. :)
    looks great! like the ground material :)
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Fantastic! You know...wouldnt mind seeing a Sentinal class landing craft in there just to mix it up some....
    Dam this is looking sweet.
    Thanks guys. I do have a Sentinel, but it is built to game standards and not to the high detail level required to fit in with this hangar. Well the roof is finally on this thing. Will probably add a bit more detail and furnish it with a few elements to help populate it akin to the objects that are going to be required for the deck. Here are the first shots with the roof on there. With it in place I'll have to start lighting it for real instead of just relying on a Skylight/Ambient lighting effect to make the thing look cool. These shots just have a temporary basic light in there to light up the resulting darkness from the roof being in place.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.
    This looks great. just missing Vader shuttle and an honour guard waiting for him.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Seriously dude, I am not worthy to bask in the awesomeness of your work. Great job!
    Cheers guys. Here is my first serious lighting pass at this thing, is coming on, though it is slow work with quite long render times, hopefully I'll manage to get the lighting to work more efficiently as I go on (don't often use mental ray, so learning as I go). Still doing test thumbnail renders seems to work well enough for now, with me only investing in a full render when those start to look good. Next up those objects to populate the environment, and a few more surprise extras that I'll be throwing in there.

Anyhow, here are the renders of that first proper lighting pass I mentioned earlier. Enjoy, and as always all crits are welcome.

Attachment not found.

Hangar_WIP_94.jpg

Hangar_WIP_95.jpg
    96638.jpg96639.jpg
  • ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, rendering is a far bigger pain for me than the modeling part. You've got a proper build here, man! Nice looking facade on the outside as well
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic work mate, really nice, what are you rendering with?
    These look great!
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    This looks great, but the ceiling doesn't really do the model justice, imho. Needs more detail to bring it in line with the rest of it.
    Cheers for your comments guys.

Thanks Ryo80, yeah, rendering and sorting out good lighting can be a pain, think I've got it sorted now though, so hopefully the renders shouldn't be so painful from now on.

Hi again Wiz, I'm just rendering in Mental Ray on 3DS Max. I don't use it too often as a games asset modeller, so I'm getting to grips with it as I go.

Hi Fractal, I actually totally agree with you there, my plan is to add a greater depth of detail to the ceiling area. I'm currently working on miscellaneous objects to populate the hangar deck, and plan to add further details to the ceiling too, such as gantries and cranes and such. There isn't much reference for the ceiling, but I should be able to get it more up to the same standard as the rest of the asset.