Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDeath Star II Style Hangar

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice work there.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Cheers guys.

Heh, you know it, nothing like a good modular asset to speed up your work flow.

:lol:
    Back after a bit of a break abroad for the Easter holidays, and back to tackling this old girl. Managed to get in a few hours on it this week resulting in fully detailed wall sections, the only thing left to go on here are some textures for some details such as grills and other small features, but as far as the geometry is concerned I'd call these wall sections just about done.
    And here are a few more shots including close ups of the detailed wall section.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looks good :thumb:
    Cheers
    This is looking really great.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, what those guys said. :D
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    That looks perfect, I'd pay to park my shuttle there ;)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work mate, and by coincidence I have just finished modelling/rendering the same hangar for the guys over at Poodoo FX for their fanfilm Descendants of Order 66 :) I found the scale a nightmare to work with when trying to make the lighting interesting.

*Edit: Actually its the ISD hangar I did, but that is virtual copy of the DSII hangar.
    Cheers mate, yeah the comparative scale is a bitch too, with the studio set looking one way and the matte painting looking quite different. Though if you were doing the SSD hanger from TESB Special Edition I guess that cgi long shot will have been more consistent with the studio set.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Where is the racked Tie Bomber?;)

Very nice, Talon_UK.
    Won't be doing the Bomber, but the rack will be in there.
    After a bit of time off from this (other work commitments got in the way unfortunately), I'm back on this old girl again. Got a little more time on my hands for the moment, so I'm going to really get stuck in so expect quite a few updates on this over time. Right, so where were we? Oh yeah, I'd just got the wall and bulkhead panels to a level of detail I was happy with and ready to move onto other things. Well as of this week I've been sorting out the stuff which will define most of the broad strokes of this asset. The last wall details added were a couple of entranceways cut into the wall panels with a short corridor leading to an ANH Death Star I style blast door. These will remain closed, and as I've been told these won't feature too prominently in the final product. I've made them relatively low detail, they're just there to suggest there is something there in the shadows more than anything. The entrance way doesn't strictly follow the look of the matte painting and has been given a little more detail. I'll also put some light panels in the walls of the short corridor with textures. The rear wall and connecting 45 degree corner sections have also been added, and the front wall has been integrated with the side walls (will be adding some simple detailing to this wall at some point, but it looks quite nondescript in the matte paintings, so shouldn't be too much work) this at last gives some definition to the dimensions of the hanger now that all the walls are in place, additionally the entrances also give a good feel for the scale of the thing. I'll put a figure into my renders next time to really give you a solid idea of scale. Next up will be the addition of a control room observation window and a couple of doors cut into the upper levels of the rear wall, and then it's TIE Fighter rack time.

Yaaay!!

:p
    Looking good. It's amazing how small those doors look when you look at the whole thing. ;)
    Aye, she's a big one alright, you'll have no trouble parking the Millennium Falcon, a Lambda or Sentinel shuttle in there.
    looks really cool! cant wait to see some textures and lights in there :)
    Cheers, not looking forward to lighting this beast, have been able to cheat it with a skylight so far, but at some point I'm going to have to light this properly.

Last brace of screenshots for the night have a number of figures added to better show scale, and in addition we have our first exterior shot of the hanger looking in, and I've mounted the control deck observation port on the rear wall. TIE racks tomorrow then.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    This is really a wonderful looking hangar and much larger than I thought at first now that the doors and figures are in. :thumb:
    This really is stunning.
    Cheers Freak.

:)

Now with today's update I can show you the work that has gone into the TIE rack so far. To begin with I've worked up the doorways and platform which will have those consoles mounted on it that you see in the movie shot looking out from the observation port of the control deck, these doors are based off of the smaller doors seen in ANH (Specifically the blast door that leads into the control room that the Rebel heroes hide out in and discover the location of the captured Princess), below this comes the really heavily detailed part, the TIE rack and gantry. This was a lot of fun :rolleyes:, the matte painting of this area starts to get quite ambiguous as this is the area where the live action plate slightly covers it as the controllers monitoring the aforementioned consoles sit in this area of the shot. I've come up with a good workable solution for the broad strokes of the structure and those are all pretty much in place now together with the gantries slightly above that for the pilots and technicians, and some of the larger pipe work details have also been added. I've designed the rack to have bays to house one TIE Bomber in the centre as seen in the movie screenshot, and four additional bays (2 either side) that can accommodate TIE Fighters. I'm thinking the rack is pretty much there now, I intend to add further detailing to the top and bottom surfaces of the rack to populate it with additional minor piping, miscellaneous details really, and get a few cables in there too, not to mention the weird turret like device which is mounted beneath the rack which is seen in the next shot.

The next issue will then be a case of the position in which to mount the thing. The current configuration matches the movie shot, with the hangar control deck overlooking the TIE rack, but this results in the rack being about half way down the wall of the hangar, which looks a little odd, but if you look at the movie shots might be correct, as the shot using a matte painting view from underneath the rack looking out at Vader's shuttle appears to make the rack look fairly low, at least lower than the top tip of a Lambda shuttle, so there is an argument for the rack being quite low on the wall, but usually when we see interpretations of an Imperial hangar the TIE racks and gantries are quite close to the ceiling, so there is a decision to be made there. Once the rack is complete I'll create two files, one with the hanger in its current position and one with it set higher on the wall, possibly above the control room denying you the overlook view of the rack from this location, but it might be more suitable for the over all look of the hangar, at the end of the day that will be up to JMoney who I'm producing this for, and how he intends to use the asset.

Either way enjoy these renders, I'd best get back to it.

:p
    looking great!
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Why is there a large gap where the floor and the ribs meet?
    How do you mean? beneath the bulkhead feet? If that's what you mean, they're like that because that is how they are, check out earlier in the thread and you'll see when that was discovered, was a surprise to me too considering how often I must have studied this thing.
    Looking great. It's hard to get stuff accurate using only movie images and still photos, but you're doing a great job. :thumb:
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    How do you mean? beneath the bulkhead feet? If that's what you mean, they're like that because that is how they are, check out earlier in the thread and you'll see when that was discovered, was a surprise to me too considering how often I must have studied this thing.

Ah so! SAT and TYVM for enlightening me
    Nice I am really loving that racking.
    Many thanks guys, this next brace of WIP screenshots has me just about done with the detailing of the TIE rack. I've decided that this is more of a multipurpose TIE rack than say the ones that would be in a dedicated TIE Fighter bay, which seems more in keeping with the look of the matte paintings of this hangar. So as such other than being able to accommodate two different types of TIE craft, with the abundance of piping etc, I want to suggest that this is like a maintenance and refuelling rack as well as a launch rack.

JMoney has also expressed a happiness with the current rack location based on the strength of the previous screenies, so I've gone right ahead and integrated the rack with the rear wall including the small blast doors at the end of the gantries. Also in place are the strange turret looking devices that you see in the second interior matte painting of the hanger in ROTJ, slung underneath the rack, in The Phantom Menace a similar device was repurposed as a hangar bay interior defensive turbolaser turret on the Trade Federation ship, but here it doesn't quite look like a weapon, more likely it serves a more benign purpose, not quite sure what it is to be honest, could possibly be a tractor beam array for guiding TIE Fighters back onto the rack, but it is anyone's guess really.

I've still got to put in some form of docking clamps for the rack, but I've decided to come back to that later and now my next area of focus will be on the ground level and to work up the floor detailing.

Enjoy the screenies, and as ever all crits and comments are welcome.
    I am really loving the work you have done with this.
    Will you be adding the hole in the hanger floor that was seen in ANH?
    Yeah, there will be a shaft in the floor, is also in the ROTJ version if you check out the second matte painting of the hangar (the one shot from beneath the TIE rack).