Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNCC-1701-D USS Enterprise

• eclipse74569eclipse74569171 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Tobias don't forget that the D in the registry has two extensions at the top and bottom. I know it didn't have that on the christies model at least for the bottom saucer (and damn if that didn't annoy the hell outta me) but you can clearly see it in each episode of TNG.

You can also see it clearly here
  • MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing work there once again!
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you eclipse - I didnA’t notive that - but will of course change it.

Homer - thanks, got those already :)

IA’m pretty much done with texturing the warp nacelle. The glow of the engine will be a post effect - to get it to look like it appeared on screen.
    90038.jpg
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    IA’m pretty much done with texturing the warp nacelle. The glow of the engine will be a post effect - to get it to look like it appeared on screen.

Looking very nice.

All of my glow effects, outside explosions glows are done in the 3D application... I assume in post you would use the illumination pass as the source of the glows?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Perfect as usual, Tobias.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    Sweet!
    Subtle, yet noticeable enough to survive the post-processing stage.

BTW: Congratulations on landing that DSA gig. I hope they'll expand it into a full-size production.
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    It looks like you're capturing the spirit of the six foot model's "smooth from afar, but detailed up close" aesthetic. Can't wait for more! :)
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • L-GaimL-Gaim0 Posts: 0Member
    Aw :thumb:esome.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Have you tried any mental ray materials specifically Mia material ??? there's a way for illumination thru the advanced tab, additional color, ramp it up like the incandescence, change the V number in the color picker to above 1, usually 5 works well, then in able final gather and ramp up the accuracy and points :) this gives you a glow that isn't fake like incandescence , plus the mia materials have a good variety of presets.. I'm trying them out latly.. ( thou wasn't taught them is School!! figures!)

check out starship modeler, and in the site map, theres a download for decal's.. you can use them as a good reference for the markings you can't make out!

Looking excellent my friend! hopefully you'll get her on the calender again!
    I havenA’t used the mia materials a lot - usually the normal maya materials do the job just fine for me. The mia materials rarely have a tendency to make problems while rendering, so unless there is something I can not do with normal materials I tend to stay away from them.

As for the glow - the warp light elements will be rendered in a seperate illumination pass - so I have full control over them in compositing. I like that much better then to be dependent on the render outcome (and probably have to rerender the whole thing if I am not happy with the result).
    I havenA’t used the mia materials a lot - usually the normal maya materials do the job just fine for me. The mia materials rarely have a tendency to make problems while rendering, so unless there is something I can not do with normal materials I tend to stay away from them.

As for the glow - the warp light elements will be rendered in a seperate illumination pass - so I have full control over them in compositing. I like that much better then to be dependent on the render outcome (and probably have to rerender the whole thing if I am not happy with the result).

In Max, the effects section has an interactive feature, to allow changes to be updated in real time... not sure if Maya has that.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    That's not the same. With a separate pass you have the advantage of adjusting the effect in post, fine-tuning things like color and intensity among other options.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Indeed. Max's "Effects" doesn't allow you the flexibility in using a compositing app to adjust the render pass as much as you need to to get the result you're after.
  • cazman101cazman1010 Posts: 0Member
    I may have missed something here so correct me if I'm wrong but rendering a glow in Max would entirely depend on how you render it. whether or not your rendering in default scanline with the rollout effects or in video post or with mental ray Gi. It does allow you to render everything in seperate layers. Diffuse, Specular, Lights, ambient occlusion for later post correction.

anyway thats getting a little off topic.

I'm guessing thins is based on the 6 foot bad boy and not the 4 ft or 2 ft models they used as there are plenty of subtle differences. So my question would be now you've come down to the texturing proccess are you going to be giving it the series paint sceme or the "Generations" paint sceme.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    cazman101 wrote: »
    I may have missed something here so correct me if I'm wrong but rendering a glow in Max would entirely depend on how you render it. whether or not your rendering in default scanline with the rollout effects or in video post or with mental ray Gi. It does allow you to render everything in seperate layers. Diffuse, Specular, Lights, ambient occlusion for later post correction.

You're right - you could render the glow using some type of effects natively in your renderer of choice but as a separate layer. What Chris was saying is that Max has the Effects function that allows you to pre-render an image and then apply glow based on effects channels. It's pretty neat because it means that you don't need to re-render to completely change your "lens effects" as Max calls them. You can try any variation on settings and it renders almost immediately without the need to re-render the entire scene. I believe (and please correct me if I am wrong here, Chris...) that Chris was suggesting that this would possibly achieve what Tobias was going for (if Maya had an equivalent).

It certainly could but it can be more flexible simply to render the self-illuminating materials and then apply glow to them as in post - the advantage to doing this potentially becomes exponentially greater when you're rendering animations as many of these glow tools don't scale correctly with distance from the camera, can flicker and cause artifacts in animations etc.

If I had to guess, that's what I'd imagine Tobias will be doing but I'll stop speaking for him now and simply ask him what technique he plans to use. :)
    The maya glow has a few issues in calulating glow sizes and such - sometimes resulting in flickering or other artifacts (at least last time I tested it, could be they fixed that - but I doubt it :) ). There are ways around that, but that would mean testing and setting up each take in an animation differently. So the easiest and most flexible way is just to render a seperate pass and do the glow in compositing - which allows for much more complex glows and has faster feedback. IA’ve worked this way for years now.

The textures will be mostly based on the "Generations" 6 footer. Only in areas where I do not have any reference I will refer to the series version.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    People still use native glow systems? Wow how 90's :p

Post FX in dedicated software is far more flexible and tweakable than relying on it as a post effect in the renderer... There's nothing worse than doing a 5 hour render, then in the last 10 seconds realising that the post glow took a huge dump on your image which you can't remove, because you got the settings wrong. :p
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    What can I say, this gal is coming along perfectly. Beautiful work. WOW.
  • Martok2112Martok21120 Posts: 0Member
    My God, that ship is looking beautiful! Well done.
    Comco wrote: »
    You're right - you could render the glow using some type of effects natively in your renderer of choice but as a separate layer. What Chris was saying is that Max has the Effects function that allows you to pre-render an image and then apply glow based on effects channels. It's pretty neat because it means that you don't need to re-render to completely change your "lens effects" as Max calls them. You can try any variation on settings and it renders almost immediately without the need to re-render the entire scene. I believe (and please correct me if I am wrong here, Chris...) that Chris was suggesting that this would possibly achieve what Tobias was going for (if Maya had an equivalent).

It certainly could but it can be more flexible simply to render the self-illuminating materials and then apply glow to them as in post - the advantage to doing this potentially becomes exponentially greater when you're rendering animations as many of these glow tools don't scale correctly with distance from the camera, can flicker and cause artifacts in animations etc.

If I had to guess, that's what I'd imagine Tobias will be doing but I'll stop speaking for him now and simply ask him what technique he plans to use. :)

Well, Ky_Throughout, which is a free Max plugin, I use it on parts that I don't want the glow to be affected by, for example on the Enterprise D, the warp grills, thus allowing it to shine as if it's not there affecting the glow of the surface underneath, in any case all the glows you see in my videos, on the warp nacelles, etc. are all done in 3ds max, at render, the only time a glow is added in AE, are on explosions, which are added into the comp.

I use finalRender SE PERSONAL, which is a full version, it's just available to every student and private person who is attending school or registered in an educational program, for 1/9th the cost... which that comes with finalGlow which is great over the standard Max glows.

----

But yea, back to Tobias' model... it's looking great, can't wait to see this lady textured, etc. I keep remembering how well your Connie refit turned out.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    That's super stuff mate. Nacelle is great!!
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Tobias don't forget that the D in the registry has two extensions at the top and bottom. I know it didn't have that on the christies model at least for the bottom saucer (and damn if that didn't annoy the hell outta me) but you can clearly see it in each episode of TNG.

Was looking around tonight and found this.

Borg_cutting_beam.jpg

Best of both worlds didn't have the two extensions on this enlarged model they built of the enterprise.

Apparently either way is correct for the D.
    90330.jpg
    Thanks, but the model they build for that closeup is wrong in so many ways that I wouldnA’t use it as reference. Besides, I already corrected it :) I hope to have visible updates in a 1-2 weeks - lots of work to do at the moment, so progress is slow...
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I love this ship. Though, all of those curves are a nightmare to model.

I went back several pages to have a look at the model so far and it's looking amazing. But then you never cease to amaze me with how you consistently build meshes that look as good as or even better than the studio models. Excellent work so far, as usual. :cool:
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Since they added TNG to Netflix instant streaming I've been watching a LOT of episodes back to back, so the Galaxy has been on my mind. Your work looks spot-on. Really lovely modeling, mate.
    Earlier this week I finally finished her, finalizing the textures and the lights in order to produce a 22meter long rendering to be featured as the main artwork on a show booth at the upcoming GamesCom.

HereA’s a first rendering of the final model - more to come when I have the time...
    90672.jpg
  • andar_bandar_b0 Posts: 0Member
    She's a beautiful ship, I find it hard to believe they decided it was a good idea to chuck a third nacelle on for All Good Things. It would have been much more impressive to see a true refit of the D like the nought got. Speaking of which...has anyone ever done a Galaxy refit? Gotta google now -.-

I was JUST thinking about how cool it would be to make a good sized poster of the Defiant (probably facing down the entire Romulan fleet, just before she fired the warp cannon) and the logo, and perhaps either "With honor and courage..." or "the far and wondrous distance..."
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Just to FYI on that close up, remember that was a custom model segment, not hte actual model they were manipping, so the difference between the christie models and that could be related to errors in creating the "custom" piece for that sfx shot.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • RekkertRekkert4046 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,304Member
    As always Tobias, your work is epic!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • captainkirkcaptainkirk171 Posts: 0Member
    Now that it seems very likely that TNG will be remastered you have got to try and get involved! Maybe if we all write letters to CBS we can get them to pick you for the special effects.