Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNCC-1701-D USS Enterprise

1789101113»

• tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Full Impulse is only 0.25 C - Either way some Warp capable ships don't have a full deflector array so it's quite possible (in treknology) for the saucer to just not have one - and just use their deflector shields.

With all such meshes you have to make choices on if you are going down the route of the filming minature ( which make tech errors or scale errors). Logically corrected - treknology-safe fan fixed meshes ( which ignore how it looks on the show) or a blend of both to suit your taste. What you can't do is please everyone! So Everyone's said their peice and made valid points (or not) and Tobias can take it or leave it as he (or his client) chooses. :-)
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for your observations! I would always go with the look on screen. Only if an element canA’t be clearly seen on screen or interpreted multiple ways I would try to go a logically corrected way.
  • overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
    tobian wrote: »
    Full Impulse is only 0.25 C - Either way some Warp capable ships don't have a full deflector array so it's quite possible (in treknology) for the saucer to just not have one - and just use their deflector shields.

With all such meshes you have to make choices on if you are going down the route of the filming minature ( which make tech errors or scale errors). Logically corrected - treknology-safe fan fixed meshes ( which ignore how it looks on the show) or a blend of both to suit your taste. What you can't do is please everyone! So Everyone's said their peice and made valid points (or not) and Tobias can take it or leave it as he (or his client) chooses. :-)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    True, but remember that:
    1: Full impulse is only a quarter of the speed of light, which is still very fast of course.:p But you can't go faster without using M/AM, as you would need an amazing ammount of power output to move the ship.
    2: Other elements of the ship can do the same function without needing so much power. Of course, they aren't dedicated, so they aren't as good as a deflector, but they still do the job. As said in Ex-Astris-Scientia:

First of all, there is differing information available nowadays. Generally a Starfleet ship's "full impulse" should refer to about 80% c. There are some episodes that mention it as well. Additionally, once again I reference the (Interactive) Technical Manual (which, by the way, was written by Michael Okuda and Rick Sternbach) and which states, quote (in context of the Enterprise-D), "(...) High impulse operations, specifically velocities above 0.75c, may require added power from the Saucer Module engines. (...)"

It makes sense, too. However, they usually don't go beyond a "quarter impulse" which would either way still be around the 0.2c to 0.25c mark. The reason for that is a real one, namely that the faster you go with conventional means (fuel consumption aside), you would create a time dilation effect. Essentially you could say that traveling at lightspeed equals time travel to the future. It's a generally accepted theory in quantum physics these days.

One way or the other, there is always margin for error (in interpretation and the guys involved also didn't always get it right all the time), however, in general I would go with published, officially endorsed literature. Even Lawrence Krauss (the guy who wrote the Physics of Star Trek books) reference it; like the Manual.

Thanks for your observations! I would always go with the look on screen. Only if an element canA’t be clearly seen on screen or interpreted multiple ways I would try to go a logically corrected way.

That's fair, although in this case we never really saw for sure in the show what this particular hull element is/was supposed to be.

It's not my intention to "troll" though, I was merely pointing out a little detail. Wasn't expecting it to make such waves. ;)