Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTroop Transport

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'm really digging the details. It looks a lot less like a battering ram now. ;)
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Actually, I think I will shrink it a bit and turn it into a kind of Hunter Killer "sub" They hunt in packs, and are very cramped and filthy inside.

No room for roomba?

Have you read... damn. I'm blanking on the name of the book. I remember thinking it was very clever wordplay. It was basically a world war ii submarine novel, but in space. A journalist goes aboard a ship that's very crowded, and which fights by coming up from the depths of subspace and unleashing weapons. The crew is in a constant state of tension and fear. I'll get back to you on the name, as soon as I remember it. Anyway, the point is, it's a good example of submarine stories applied to starships.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Jenny wrote: »
    N A journalist goes aboard a ship that's very crowded,
    sounds suspiciously like a sci-fi remake of the movie das boot.
    The book is Passage at Arms by Glen Cook, and it's no more (or less) a scifi remake of Das Boot than it is a scifi remake of Grey Lady Down.
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    The book is Passage at Arms by Glen Cook, and it's no more (or less) a scifi remake of Das Boot than it is a scifi remake of Grey Lady Down.

I went and took a look at a couple of reviews, sounds pretty good, are you recommending?
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    colbmista wrote: »
    I liked the original

I do too, but it wasn't quite what I was going for, It will probably resurface.
    edited June 2022 #188
    We have weapons! Also some minor changes to the rear and main living/working/pillaging areas

kpqrgld1yknb.jpg
    nfwzzffyzcyc.jpg
    gmjz3p7s7652.jpg
    d1410anek1kg.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Ah, the old pillaging areas. Very important. :devil:

That's looking great. I like the gun design.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I can imagine this thing skulking through asteroids. And I can also imagine the little ships skittering around it.
    coming on really nicely, though the turrets look a bit box like, perhaps curve over the ends slightly. the ribbing on the tanks really improves the look of it and i like the turret arrangement and concept(the middle section of each turret is too square though). cool radar dishes and antennae, regarding "little ships skittering around it " does this ship have a fighter/shuttle bay anywhere, i think it was you who did it but i remember a design on here for pod fighters docking onto a ship like the nasa MKiii suit onto a habitat module, that may work well here. by the way are all the tank like structures actually fuel tanks or are some used to contain habitation space and other decks of the ship.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    So, the big tubes on either sides are ammo bunkers??!? :D

Seriously, that's a whole lotta guns. I assume some/all are dual-purpose anti-ship and defense weapons? The bulk of the turrets certainly seem to have a point-defense feel to 'em.
    I went and took a look at a couple of reviews, sounds pretty good, are you recommending?

I enjoyed it greatly. You might, also.
    edited June 2022 #194
    cavebear wrote: »
    It really reminds me of an old Colin Hay painting for some reason. As you can see it is not scale or shape but I think that the cockpit area just seams more minimal and functional. In Colin's painting there is no canopy but in yours the canopy is almost unnecessary in a way.

98113.jpg

Cavebear, came across this page today: The Star Dwellers cool site
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Cavebear, came across this page today: The Star Dwellers cool site

Hey there Starrigger,

I know about that web page but the last time I had checked it out he hadn't finished the model yet. Sure looks good now. Did you notice just how large the model is? I'd love to have that sitting in a place of pride at my house! :) Usually something like this is done at a much smaller scale. I'd love to see how he does the other ones he wants to do like the CAM 130 Cyclops by Colin Hay and both the ships by Peter Elson.
    It's been a few weeks since I have posted on my thread, but if I want to keep up the 3D stuff I need to make some cash :lol:

Shameless Plug follows, please be kind...

That sound you just heard was me sucking in a deep breath! I will be holding it until my new Kickstarter campaign is complete, and hopefully fully funded.

As some of you may know, I have created a Kickstarter campaign to fund my second book called: "The Cow on the Roof."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1436259151/what-would-you-do-with-a-cow-on-the-roof

Please pass this link on to all your friends and family. If you are able, a pledge on your part would be greatly appreciated and rewarded

For those of you who don't know what Kickstarter is, it's a place for creative people to go and drum up support and funding for projects that simply MUST be completed. I have been working on and off on this project for a few years. With your help, now is the time to complete it.

All my thanks for any assistance you have/can provide.

One promise I make to all of you: My next book project will be a sudo-scientific children's book about a fictitious trip from the Earth to Mars and beyond!

One promise I make to all of you: My next book project will be a sudo-scientific children's book about a fictitious trip from the Earth to Mars and beyond!
    why only sudo-scientific, we have the capability to send men to mars right now, it's just politicians are too lazy, corrupt and self-interested to fund it. make it accurate science and inspire the next generation. the way i see it in recent years children's books have been becoming more and more fantsasy and less sci-fi, where people a few decades back would read sci-fi when young and be inspired to become engineers/scientists and then do something that benefited humanity now they read about vampires and wizards. total fantasy like that isn't really going to inspire children, it's just going to depress them that their fantasy can never happen. i don't have all the statistics but i SUSPECT that the decline of sci-fi in general and in children's books matches with the decline of people working in scientific industries, which is a bad thing for everyone. go for some accurate science, because a mars mission is POSSIBLE even without a decade or two of further technical development, and inspire the next generation. one more thing: when you say that a nuclear engine was needed(it will be for going beyond mars) LOG SCALES ARE FOR QUITTERS!
    Sudo-Scientific in that, while the book will have at its base real science, my main goal will be inspire wonder in my young readers: 6 - 10 year olds.

I will not be too concerned that every detail has a current scientific solution, nor will I be overly concerned that the ships or other space fairing objects involved, are purely scientific in structure. For example, that fuel tanks are the appropriate size to contain all the fuel needed, etc. A trip to Mars might be very accurately depicted in the minds of scientists today, but still I think speculative in nature, since all the details and tech needed aren't in existence yet.

I believe that inspiring the minds of children with the imaginative or even whimsical, can lead to a lifetime of discovery and progress. I would not doubt that the highly UN-scientific "Six Million Dollar Man" tv show led to a lot of kids entering the robotics field...
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    we have the capability to send men to mars right now, it's just politicians are too lazy, corrupt and self-interested to fund it.

Maybe, or they are trying to use there money to solve problems on earth instead of sending people to mars just for the sake of doing it.
    Sudo is a unix command.

The word you're looking for is pseudo.
    Sudo is a unix command.

The word you're looking for is pseudo.

:lol: Maybe that's an indication of how much I'm going to fake it!
    wibble wrote: »
    Maybe, or they are trying to use there money to solve problems on earth instead of sending people to mars just for the sake of doing it.
    it's very rare a politician actually solves a problem and even on the occasions when they do most of the money allocated to the problem does not go to solving it but to paying thousands of bureaucrats and managers. a lot of money that should reach the "frontline" of whatever a project or service is will be siphoned off along the way by people who rarely understand what is actually needed at that "frontline". certainly in britain there are thousands of government employees (and this same disease exists in some large companies) dong things that are either unnecessary or could be done for a tenth of the cost by computer.
    Call the fire department! My thread's on fire!.... Spacefighter, It's obvious you are passionate about the cause, but could we bring it down a notch? Or better yet, take it somewhere else?
    Call the fire department! My thread's on fire!.... Spacefighter, It's obvious you are passionate about the cause, but could we bring it down a notch? Or better yet, take it somewhere else?

sorry about that, would advise department that they may wish to use something other than water to put it out, this fire is at atleast 15.7x10^6 kelvin so they would only be adding fuel. lol.
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Sorry from me, too. To both of you. Shouldn't have responded, or at least not the way I did. But yah sometimes I just can't stand down.
    Thanks folks, did either of you see the oil and water episode of Mythbusters? That was pretty awesome..
    edited June 2022 #207
    OK back to the good stuff:

The ConGlom cruiser:

wnl817tyy7dk.jpg
    zs3izzc5b3eh.jpg
    0ymles74tb5k.jpg
    mkyrkfo26ded.jpg
    r1r7g2z5aw0b.jpg
    7863warfqix8.jpg
    tb86qkvaaz7a.jpg
    m3t2ffd9eiw5.jpg
    nuqki8zmq0cv.jpg
    hokwa02ltswr.jpg
    m5d1fv8kcd9l.jpg
    The circular gallery over the gun turret is interesting.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    It's lookin' good! Definitely feels like something that would exist in the same universe as the Herc.
    you have been having some particularity nice designs on here recently, great work.
    edited June 2022 #211
    I think i need to go a little more terrestrial with the mining colony/ship something like this:

hhhu0l6v068w.jpg
    d7l5h5pnf729.jpg
    hha2yjdti8w1.jpg

Not sure if I should make the whole structure mobile or stationary. I like the idea though of traveling merchants...