Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTroop Transport

• StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    edited June 2022 #272
    Here's another render of the Pirate bridge done with Octane:

add62awg2r1p.jpg

The first one was done with Kerkythia and took 24 hours on my dual core laptop

this one was done on my rebuilt desktop with Octane Render in 6 minutes! (actually it wasn't done, it would have run 3 hours, but I stopped it early...)
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    How much time do the crews spend on these vessels? A week or two at a time? Months at a time? 'cause frankly, that room looks dead depressing to me, and I imagine if I were a law-breaky type, I'd be killing someone after a month in there.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Then you should never board a submarine.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Starrigger wrote: »
    The first one was done with Kerkythia and took 24 hours on my dual core laptop

this one was done on my rebuilt desktop with Octane Render in 6 minutes! (actually it wasn't done, it would have run 3 hours, but I stopped it early...)

The difference is evident. I think the Kerkythea render looks a hell of a lot better, but maybe that's just me. ;)
    Indeed, Elowan, even if women had been accepted for submarine duty at the time I served in the Navy, I doubt I would have volunteered. Instead, I was one of the first American women to serve on an Aircraft carrier. Self-bragging aside, however, the submarines I have seen are much cleaner than the ship Starrigger has presented. I think the rust texture on the bulkheads needs to be toned down, and perhaps some lagging placed over the bare metal.
    Jenny wrote: »
    Indeed, Elowan, even if women had been accepted for submarine duty at the time I served in the Navy, I doubt I would have volunteered. Instead, I was one of the first American women to serve on an Aircraft carrier. Self-bragging aside, however, the submarines I have seen are much cleaner than the ship Starrigger has presented. I think the rust texture on the bulkheads needs to be toned down, and perhaps some lagging placed over the bare metal.

I agree that the rust is overly heavy, but maybe not where you mention... My thinking could be wrong in this, but I would think that the more un-interacted with elements would be the most rusted, such as the bulkheads, where as the floor should probably have a more abused shine look to it. The ceiling panels would probably be made of plastic thus no rust, the control boxes maybe a combo of plastic and aluminium, again no rust...

To me the ship presented here looks more abandoned then used every day... so anyway you look at it, more work is needed on the texturing....
    The difference is evident. I think the Kerkythea render looks a hell of a lot better, but maybe that's just me. ;)

Yes, I think your right, but I think it is more a product of my having more experiance with Kerk than I do in Octane. For instance there are actually lights in the Kerk render, but only an over-all ambient level in the Octain one. While adding the lights in Octane will increase the render time, it wouln't be anywhere near 24hrs...
    Ah, gotcha. With a few tweaks, the Octane render could be the quality of the Kerky render. I know very little about Kerky, other than it's capable of very high quality renders, and nothing about Octane, so I wasn't sure if it was capable of that kind of quality. Yeah, lights definitely increase render times, but they give a much more realistic look than ambient light.
    Ah, gotcha. With a few tweaks, the Octane render could be the quality of the Kerky render. I know very little about Kerky, other than it's capable of very high quality renders, and nothing about Octane, so I wasn't sure if it was capable of that kind of quality. Yeah, lights definitely increase render times, but they give a much more realistic look than ambient light.

One day I hope to be able to produce something with the realism of this Octane render:
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    that really is filthy. it might have an undisciplined crew but i'm sure some of them would have voluntarily cleaned bits of it before it got THAT bad. the shapes are quite cool though (perhaps suited to something much heavier than a ship though, it always makes sense to keep stuff light on a starship) and i like the use the black-yellow striping. i'm sure it would be much less "depressing" if it were a little cleaner.
    as an extra note i like those two bridge pics you posted a while ago, both of them (the first two bridge pics)good to look at and plausible.
    edited June 2022 #282
    Fifty minutes in on a 7hr Octane render

Added lights and did a better job on the monitors

n4b9y0eaxbt4.jpg
    edited June 2022 #283
    6:05:52 later:

tr0hlvj99o0k.jpg
    Yup. It's a suicide machine.
    Jenny wrote: »
    Yup. It's a suicide machine.
    :lol:

Where were you posted on the aircraft carrier?
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    is it an error on the render (we all make them from time to time) or is the ship going to be that dimly lit? i suppose that atleast the darkness hides the dirt! can we some some closer up pics of the various screens and controls in the middle-distance of this image?
    They're in power saving mode. :p Actually, if you were actually inside that thing, I'm sure the lights wouldn't seem that dim. Your eyes would quickly adjust to the level of the light. Besides, it doesn't look that dimly lit to me. I think the darkness of the wall material gives the illusion that it's darker than it is.

I really like it. That render looks at least as good as the 24 hour one, maybe even a little better. It would make a cool interior for a Sci-Fi FPS game. You round that corner with your gun up and everything looks good. Then BAM! The hatch flies open and aliens rush in and start shooting at you. :D
    edited June 2022 #288
    Thanks for the input guys, I think I have the lighting level where I want it. And the fact that the overall impression is that this is a depressing scary place, is about what I'm going for...

Any way, here are a couple of new renders of the outside for comparison. I rounded the canon turret windows and changed some textures too.

g6eznjr7x8wx.jpg
    nbqbdcqucudg.jpg
    That's looking really cool. I like the details. :)
    Where were you posted on the aircraft carrier?

The bridge, as it happens. :cool:
    edited June 2022 #291
    Another couple of passes at the Unicor HQ in Octane this time:

tx60s12ixmks.jpg
    tabqfvqqbqxz.jpg

Definitely not a close-up model. I will need to make sections in more detail for a chase scene I'm envisioning...
    That looks fantastic. Especially the first shot because, as you said, it's not so good up close. ;)
    edited June 2022 #293
    Thanks EG, I was trying to figure out how to make a good horizon to render my ships against and wound up creating what I think will wind up being the Seeder planet:

ywc1c5kslf8e.jpg
    edited June 2022 #294
    And the theme music from jaws comes to mind...

3cpjt2pjpolu.jpg
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Good one!!
    edited June 2022 #296
    Experimenting with planets(or moon in this case...) some more...

hl18dduvn26k.jpg

not really getting what I want...
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    To muhelp yellow light maybe add in a blue one to the scene
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Another couple of passes at the Unicor HQ in Octane this time:

Definitely not a close-up model. I will need to make sections in more detail for a chase scene I'm envisioning...

Yeah, I agree, you need to do a more heavily detailed hull section version for close up shots to really capitalize on the scale of the thing, but for long shots that is looking awesome.
    Planets are one of the most difficult things to do for space scenes, in my opinion.
    edited June 2022 #300
    Having web access issues, but still working: here are some examples

90wprf1wfri8.jpg
    333mticn92j1.jpg
    gvnz1ycpjlxz.jpg
    2bmwb9ho65aa.jpg

uis9oq11e3si.jpg
    lncid148c4of.jpg
    fa5tahkalq81.jpg
    Web access issues suck, I hope you get that sorted soon.

Everything is looking great. I especially like the shots of the bridge with the sun streaming in.