Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DGreg's Trek Ships and Things

oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
edited July 2017 in Work in Progress #1
My thread for all my things Trek. And occasionally other things.
105679.png
Post edited by oldmangreg on
Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
Tagged:

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Added the bridge and sensor dome, more paneling. Need to finish paneling and then the impulse engines, then on to the rest of the ship.
    84613.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    dude u like start a new model like every 2 days... lol
    colbmista wrote: »
    dude u like start a new model like every 2 days... lol

**** I know. Actually, I might pause on this one, depending if that guy who made the USS Granduer on here wants me to help him model stuff.
    Created some nacelles. No that's not where they are going to be.
    84628.png
    Ok so the left pic is showing off the new secondary hull I'm working on. The right picture is showing off a lighting test. I'm far from done with this ship.
    84629.jpg
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    I love the double (forward) emplacements on either side of the neck.
    Hellsgate wrote: »
    I love the double (forward) emplacements on either side of the neck.

Thanks. I stole (borrowed) the idea from the Excelsior. For some reason I think they were placed wrong on the Excelsior. If those were torpedo tubes, they would of taken out the sensor dome.
    So more updates. Getting closer to being done.
    84665.png84666.png
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771390 PNWPosts: 761Member
    Not too shabby. This looks like one of those models you'll look back on with a bit of nostalgia.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Very solid looking yet graceful. A very fun look. Can't wait to see the scale. You draw on a lot of different stuff for inspiration here, and |like the way it all fits together. Looks solid, like it could really SURVIVE space...
    Very solid looking yet graceful. A very fun look. Can't wait to see the scale. You draw on a lot of different stuff for inspiration here, and |like the way it all fits together. Looks solid, like it could really SURVIVE space...

Yea, no thin neck Constitution here lol
    She's one tough cookie, my USS Rain.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Thanks. I stole (borrowed) the idea from the Excelsior. For some reason I think they were placed wrong on the Excelsior. If those were torpedo tubes, they would of taken out the sensor dome.

I'm digging the more aggressive hull plating. A similar idea has been tumbling around my head for a while, but I haven't taken the time to start the project.

RE: The Excelsior torp tubes. I think that, back when it was originally conceived, those recesses in the neck were supposed to be torpedo tubes, but someone must have realized that they were too high up and any torps fired from there would hit the underside of the saucer. If you watch Star Trek VI, you'll see that the Excelsior fires torpedoes from either side of the forward secondary hull. Also, in Star Trek Generations you can see workbees with cargo pods moving away from the recesses in the neck of the Enterprise-B before it leaves the drydock, so perhaps they're supposed to be some kind of loading platform.
    USS Rain on hold right now. Started work on another TMP-TNG era ship, the USS Hammerstad. She is Captain Jack James Rice's first command before the Renegade. As you can see, she's almost done, maybe 80 %. Got a few things to do, like remake the deflector dish and add windows and finish the shuttlebay. Because of the poly count on her (almost 20k), I can probably make actual rooms and decorate them.
    84675.jpg
    Since Someone asked for a size comparison. The Hammerstad is only 7-8 decks high, making her a small ship. Here is the USS Rain besides her. She'll be probably 24-26 decks. Unknown yet.
    84678.jpg
    Quick pic.
    Click link for picture.

http://fav.me/d2zdp54
    84679.png
    The 4ths ship from my universe: the Borg Cube. Basic structure set, now on to the greebling that will take forever to do lol
    84703.png
    2 of 10 greeble layers set. I'll go back layer and add the little details. Set some colors so far.
    84704.png
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    :thumb:Great job on your TMP designs. I particulary like how you made that wallpaper in post #16.
  • The design seems to be squarish especially the inter-connecting dorsal (it is not called a neck) The lines of a starship need to be isopiestic so that as the starship is traveling at faster than light speed velocities the curves of the ship will help create a streamlined effect upon the atoms and molecules that the ship would come across in space. Squared edges create area's on the ship that do not allow for the streamlined effect to take place thus creating a force of resistance against the ship that slows the overall speed of the ship down while at the same time causing the ship to use more of it's fuel.
    Flanker wrote: »
    :thumb:Great job on your TMP designs. I particulary like how you made that wallpaper in post #16.

Thanks
    Dryson wrote: »
    The design seems to be squarish especially the inter-connecting dorsal (it is not called a neck) The lines of a starship need to be isopiestic so that as the starship is traveling at faster than light speed velocities the curves of the ship will help create a streamlined effect upon the atoms and molecules that the ship would come across in space. Squared edges create area's on the ship that do not allow for the streamlined effect to take place thus creating a force of resistance against the ship that slows the overall speed of the ship down while at the same time causing the ship to use more of it's fuel.

Oh great one of these people. If that were the fact, most canon ships would be destroyed.
    Borg Cube finished. About 150k. Not going any deeper in detail, as it would kill my pc.
    84714.jpg
    So this the new new ship I'm working on that the TOS Renegade will encounter. So far I just did a basic layout and worked on the impulse engines. Can you spot the Renegade's shuttle?
    84857.png
    Haven't posted on this thread in a while. Here's some clay renders of the USS Hammerstad, following Madkofish's tutorial.

clayrenderhammerstad.png

clayrenderhammerstad2.png
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Greg. I was wondering about that cube. How did you make the tubes that create the "cage" around the cube itself? Are they all poly-modeled?
    LockeFP wrote: »
    Hey Greg. I was wondering about that cube. How did you make the tubes that create the "cage" around the cube itself? Are they all poly-modeled?

If you are they a bunch of cylinders, yes. I think every one of those is about 100 segments around.
    Here's an update on the twin deflectors. One deflector felt too unbalanced for her. If I did my observation right, she's even smaller than the Defiant. This is based on 15 decks for the Defiant. Of course I don't know the actual number of decks, so it might be off.

clayrenderhammerstad4.png
    My work done. cut out some windows. Unsure as of yet what that hump will be. Probably some sort of early phaser cannon. Plus the Ambassador/Excelsior hybrid I have been working on.

clayrenderhammerstad7.png
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    With those conduits on the cube, why not just make them all splines and then set them to be renderable as tubes? That way you can save thousands of polys and be able to give it more detail if you want to.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    There's much debate about the actual size of the Defiant. The general consensus is that it's four decks and 120m long.

I liked this ship much more before the deflector pods. The look...tacked on(?) as an after thought. Other than that, she's still lookin' good.