Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMadMan's STXI Enterprise, Version 6

madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
edited November 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hey, everybody! It's been a while. :) I posted this over on the TrekBBS the other day, but thought some of you would like to see it, as well.

I know I said, back in the version 5 thread, that I wasn't going to do this. But, I've been working on a project lately, where I've learned a lot... mainly about subsurf modifiers, which I had no idea existed. It's helped out my chunky modeling, alot.

For some of you that have downloaded and looked at the previous model, you'll be happy to know, that I'm trying to get away from using booleans all the time. So far, I haven't used a single one.

This is really meant to be an update to my version of this ship... it's probably not going to be 100% screen accurate, since I am keeping some of the changes I made in the previous couple of versions, mainly like the thinner neck in the front.

What do ya'll think?

More later...
85626.jpg
Post edited by madman1701a on
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4039 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    I knew you were going to make another version sooner or later, and it's looking amazing so far!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice so far, lots of details :)
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Well I think you get better at modeling not only this ship but in general with each iteration of this ship.
    Would like to see you model something outside of the Trek uni one day!
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    What do I think? I think you're a madman for tackling this project yet again, but of course you already know you're a madman, don't you?

The model is looking great so far. As ever, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project.
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Thanks guys. :)

I really ought to build more stuff outside of Star Trek, but since the new movie has come out, nothing else is really got my attention as much. :)

More updates soon...
    The way I see it, there's a reason there are more Star Trek related meshes than any other franchise available on sites like this: The ships are challenging but still fun to build. Whether you're aiming for true accuracy, building a variant with some of your own ideas tossed in, or devising a ship from the ground up, the Star Trek universe gives artists a lot of room in which to play. It's hard to resist a sandbox that big, y'know?
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Depends how many cats have been to the sandbox first :(
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Looks really nice.
    Will you work over the transition from the engineering to the pylons? It needs to be more smooth.
    Thanks. :)

I got it as smooth as I could... and while I was doing it, I kind of liked the little lip that I ended up with, so I kept it. :)
  • Beda of BorgBeda of Borg0 Posts: 0Member
    update? :)
    iA’m so curious ^^
    Actually, yeah, I was just meaning to post these. :)

STXIV6_WIP_022.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_023.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_024.jpg

I got a ton of the saucer done, and refined a few more details, here and there. It's starting to look like a ship. :)

Hopefully I'll get some more done soon... things have started to slow down quite a bit, finally. :)

Have fun, guys...
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Looking really nice. So how different is it from the other versions?

Brian

It's basically just a much cleaner model... I had no idea about subsurf modifiers on the last one, and I relied way too much on Booleans. :) So far, I haven't used a boolean yet... my goal is to only use the booleans to cut the windows... nothing else. :)
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    This might help, as AL3D is modeling the XI Enterprise as well, and he's on the lighting and texturing aspect now:

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8314
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Yeah, I've been following his thread. :)

Mine will never be quite that good... my main goal here, is to have a much cleaner model to release in the end... I aim to have the best released model, anyway. :) At this point, I think I'm competing with myself, though... no one else has released one since the movie came out. :)

Hopefully more updates soon...
  • rdudarduda332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work as always, Looks great!
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Great work.
    Your modeling is very best ...
    Live long and prosper

Mine will never be quite that good... my main goal here, is to have a much cleaner model to release in the end... I aim to have the best released model, anyway. :) At this point, I think I'm competing with myself, though... no one else has released one since the movie came out. :)

Glad to hear you're planning to release this when it's finished, because it looks great so far. If I may ask a favor...would it be possible to release a .3ds version of it as well? I've downloaded MAX versions of your previous model, but they won't upload because I think you're using a more recent version of MAX than I am. It would be much appreciated.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member

i believe i sent you a PM, id advise you to respond :)
    Unbelievably, I had some time to work on this tonight. Didn't get a lot done, just mainly some detailing, and the bridge, and the sensor area.

STXIV6_WIP_031.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_032.jpg

What do you guys think?

I didn't know about it, but there's a vessel simulator on the Bluray set... does anyone have screencaps of it? I have the three that were on TrekMovie, but I was hoping someone around here had some more. :)

Have fun, guys...
    This looks beautiful. I love seeing 3D models with strong, clean lines. Excellent work! How close is she to being finished?

It's probably 75% modeled, just detailing really, is all that's left, except for the deflector dish and the impulse Engine. Still have to cut the windows, too...
    As far as lighting and texturing goes, are you going to make more movie like textures, like al3d's model?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    I think so.

As much as I love TobiasRichter's model of this ship, his texturing is definitely different from how the ship looks in the movie. I'm going to be going for the simpler look, to start with, anyway. :)
    Yea, it's looking good never the less, also, it appears like the I guess rear side of the long ram scoop's have a slight lip on them.

TrekCore has some nice HD screencaps, from the whole movie.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/index.php?cat=59
    84877.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    I think so.

As much as I love TobiasRichter's model of this ship, his texturing is definitely different from how the ship looks in the movie.

In what way?
    Hey, I didn't mean that in a bad way. :)

Your textures seem to be MORE detailed, and the colors stand out more. The ship looks more subtle, in the movie, to me, anyway... even though it may just be because of the way they lit it.

I hope I didn't cause any offense... it's awesome that you're looking at my thread. :)

EDIT: I have just come across screencaps of the DVD Extras, on the BluRay set... Tobias, your model matches that one, almost 100%, so it must simply be the way they lit it for the movie.
    Here you go:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=36513&id=100001349730636&fbid=122808904440767&ref=mf

I uploaded screenshots from the BR extra's, graciously shared by rustythe1 with everyone at Foundation3D.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Here you go:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=36513&id=100001349730636&fbid=122808904440767&ref=mf

I uploaded screenshots from the BR extra's, graciously shared by rustythe1 with everyone at Foundation3D.

The link appears to be broken, Chris. Tried 3 times and all I got was the "Internet Exlporer Cannot Display the Web Page" message.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    The link appears to be broken, Chris. Tried 3 times and all I got was the "Internet Exlporer Cannot Display the Web Page" message.

Use Firefox. It's better.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.