Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMadMan's STXI Enterprise, Version 6

• Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    The link appears to be broken, Chris. Tried 3 times and all I got was the "Internet Exlporer Cannot Display the Web Page" message.

I click it in Chrome, and it loads up.

Try this:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=36513&l=a95a2bb08a&id=100001349730636
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Thanks Chris. Those are the ones I found, the other day. They're great......

Well, I got to work on this tonight. :) We've got windows, and a bunch of more detail on the saucer. Also, I put the lower phaser banks in the right spot. :)

STXIV6_WIP_037.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_034.jpg

More later...
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Awesome. Could you post some wireframes of your pre-smoothed secondary hull? I could never model that part right.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I know you're going for a film-accurate version, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are about the scaling issues regarding this version of the Big-E. In other words, in your opinion just how big is the ship?
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Awesome. Could you post some wireframes of your pre-smoothed secondary hull? I could never model that part right.

Sure thing... all did was start out with a cylinder, just scaled parts of the bottom to get the undercut, and then extruded the pylons out of the sides. The mesh was pretty ugly to start with, too... even so, mine is still not right. It's a lot closer than some of my earlier ones, for sure, though. :) The neck is still more narrow than the real model, but I think I like that better... and the curve where the pylons meet isn't a perfect match, but it's as good as I could get.

Here's an OBJ of the unsmoothed part, if you want to look at it...
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hkdbzr86wkbwjif
    I did a subsurf with a level 2 resolution, for the finished part.

Have fun...
    I know you're going for a film-accurate version, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are about the scaling issues regarding this version of the Big-E. In other words, in your opinion just how big is the ship?

Hey...

Well, I'm going for a cross between film-accurate, and my old models... each one had different things that I liked, but were different than the movie. The main thing I'm doing here, is just applying a bunch of new stuff I learned over the summer.

As far as how big I think it is... I think it's in the 1200-1500ft range... a little bigger than the refit, but not as big as the Enterprise D. It doesn't look that big on the ground, for one thing, especially when Kirk rides his motorcycle under the secondary hull. :)
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    this is great stuff :D
    Thanks. :)
    I finally got a look at the pics posted on Chris' link. I had no idea that the ship was that detailed, or that there was so much color on its hull! Yellows, blues, greens, browns; it was amazing. Lately I'd grown to dislike the new Enterprise a little. The proportions seemed off and there was so much unnecessary looking "stuff" all over it. The pics in that link, though, brought me back around to liking it again. If we'd gotten some views like that in the movie I think the design would be more accepted.

I agree with the 1200 to 1500 ft. range for its size. Sounds good to me. And you're right, the ship went through some kind of bizarre growth spurt in the movie. The ship that was being built on the ground was much smaller than the one we saw docked at the starbase. Who knows, maybe the outer hull is inflatable so it can appear much bigger and more imposing. ;)
    Yeah, that's be something, wouldn't it?

Made some more progress.... mainly just details and stuff. The only big addition is the deflector dish... it's a WHOLE lot cleaner than my last one. I booleaned out all the inset parts before, it was a mess. :)

STXIV6_WIP_039.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_040.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_041.jpg

More later on... it's definitely getting there, though. :)

Have fun, guys...
    Yeah, that's be something, wouldn't it?

Made some more progress.... mainly just details and stuff. The only big addition is the deflector dish... it's a WHOLE lot cleaner than my last one. I booleaned out all the inset parts before, it was a mess. :)

STXIV6_WIP_039.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_040.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_041.jpg

More later on... it's definitely getting there, though. :)

Have fun, guys...

Awesome, are you gonna add the little lip on the back of the nacelle things, I guess, the ram scoops, the area, with all the square lights...

Also, do you plan on adding the nacelle fins where they slide open, like in the movie?

In any case, at it's present state, I'd still give it 5/5 stars.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

I'm not sure about the lip... I had totally overlooked it when I built those parts, but I'm sure there's some way I can add them, now.

As far as the slide-open fins, I don't know. I think that's one of the only things I didn't like about this ship. I might do some simple lines during texturing to show that they are there, but that's probably it. Also, when I did the subsurf to the nacelles, it didn't leave me any nice straight lines there, so I'd have to re-build part of them, anyway.

I'm not sure about the lip... I had totally overlooked it when I built those parts, but I'm sure there's some way I can add them, now.

As far as the slide-open fins, I don't know. I think that's one of the only things I didn't like about this ship. I might do some simple lines during texturing to show that they are there, but that's probably it. Also, when I did the subsurf to the nacelles, it didn't leave me any nice straight lines there, so I'd have to re-build part of them, anyway.

It's up to you, no matter how you finish it, etc. I'm sure it will be one of the best available releases, I can't wait to see this thing all finished, with textures, and lighting, woooo, :excited: somebody stop me, I can't help myself. lol.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Yeah, stay calm. :)

I wish I had more time to work on this thing...

I didn't get a lot done tonight, but I added that little lip to the outside of the nacelle cowlings, docking ports, and various little detail parts all over. My goal is to have this thing done by my birthday, on the 11th.

I built my first version two years ago, starting on my birthday, which happened to be the day that first infamous image of the ship was released, so I thought it would be an appropriate deadline. :)

Here's an image, showing the evolution of models, if anyone is interested.....
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Comparision2.jpg
    I've come a little way in two years, I think. :)

Anyway, pictures...

STXIV6_WIP_042.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_043.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_044.jpg

What do ya'll think? :)
    It has come far.
    It looks awesome.
    I can't wait until the 11th... lol.
    :lol:
    :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Here's an image, showing the evolution of models, if anyone is interested.....
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Comparision2.jpg
    I've come a little way in two years, I think. :):)

"...a little way..."? You're underestimating yourself, madman. I love seeing photos like this, showing how far CGI artists have improved as they've plied their craft. When I look over pics of my older models sometimes I just want to cringe, but they show how far I've come and they press me to keep getting better. It's a very cool image. Thanks for posting the link to it, though I suggest adding the year in which each model was built just to give the pic an extra "wow" factor.

I'll have to do that, when I finish up this one... Version 5 is actually missing, though, because it was jut a revision of Version 4...

More tonight, hopefully. :)
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Looks great.

Brian
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Thanks for the comparison; it looks like there are ages between version 1 and 5. ;)
    Yeah, it's hard to believe it's only been 2 years. :)

Well, I reached a major milestone last night. :)

All the main parts are together... now it's just time to add some more detail parts, and textures, then lighting. :)

STXIV6_WIP_048.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_049.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_050.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_051.jpg

STXIV6_WIP_052.jpg

What you ya'll think?
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    You need bigger balls. On the back of the nacelle, I mean...

The model itself is looking quite nice. Great job. Did you use orthographic views during modeling, or just eyeball it?

:lol:
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    I love the work you put into this. Although I wish who ever designed her would of put a little more space in between the nacelles. Great job.
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd really love to know how you got some of those panels to glow like that.
    She looks great, and will only look better once the material maps and lighting are in place. What strikes me most, though, is your penchant for finding the angles that give these images a real "Star Trek" look to this version of the ship. Tobias Richter has this same talent, and it was something sorely lacking in the film itself. There really is a gracefulness to this design when viewed correctly, and you capture it well.
    Thanks for all the comments, guys. :)

The model itself is looking quite nice. Great job. Did you use orthographic views during modeling, or just eyeball it?

Yeah, I had noticed that myself, earlier. :) I used a combination of TobiasRichter's side ortho views, and those blueprints that came out a few months ago.
    stfanboy wrote: »
    I love the work you put into this. Although I wish who ever designed her would of put a little more space in between the nacelles. Great job.

Yeah, that's one thing that I don't like as much about this ship, but I think I'm getting used to it. :)
    I'd really love to know how you got some of those panels to glow like that.

Simple, really... Right now they all just have an "Emit" value on the temporary material I stuck on them, just so that I can see them. :) When I texture them, I'll tweak the "Emit" value accordingly.
    She looks great, and will only look better once the material maps and lighting are in place. What strikes me most, though, is your penchant for finding the angles that give these images a real "Star Trek" look to this version of the ship. Tobias Richter has this same talent, and it was something sorely lacking in the film itself. There really is a gracefulness to this design when viewed correctly, and you capture it well.

Thanks. :) I agree... when looked at right, this ship IS the Enterprise... of course, the more times I build the thing, I like it even more, so I might be biased. :)

Updates soon...
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Looks good bro! ;)
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    A great new "Enterprise" Version 6
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Even before its textured, lighting rigs etc you can see amazing details and loving craftmanship put into this model

Well done sir
    Thanks, guys. :)