Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Class Starship

• count23count23366 Posts: 784Member
    I hope this'll help with the Nacelles:

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/alex-jaeger-week-the-akira-class/ (First Contact/DS9 Studio Model renders)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    Thanks, I have been using those.
    BUt I made a few changes to mine.
  • Wilson359Wilson3590 Posts: 0Member
    Have to say you're doing a great job on one of my favourite classes of ship. But I'm curious, will you be including the lateral torpedo launchers that are on the saucer??
    Thanks Wilson. To answer your question the answer is no.
    Reason being there is no point to them. The trops can fly in any direction onced launched, and she already got a good number of trops launchers so there is no need to put in another 8. (4 on each side.)
    Instead I have put in windows.
  • Wilson359Wilson3590 Posts: 0Member
    That's all good. While I found it an interesting idea, it was a little unnecessary. I personally think it needed more phaser cover at least on the nacelle pylons....
    It's ture all the Phaser are at the front of the ship.
    I might install some in the back, once I done all the corrections I want to do.
  • perilousperilous171 Posts: 0Member
    My turn to heap some well deserved praise upon you :-) looking very good there can wait to see it fully lit and textured, it will be awesome
    Thanks
    With the weapons finished, it was time to look at the Nacelles.
    There where a lot errors in the Meshes, so this has meant a complete rebuild.
    The meshes is now cleaner than it was before. I have saved a few items for the original version namely the blue glow bits.

I have added some RCS that where missing before and some other little bits of details.
    I think this has turned out far better than the old version.
    All that is left now is to add textures to them.

necelles-angle-2.png

necelles-angle.png

nascelles.png

full-ship.png
    Not much of an update, reason for this is that over the last two weeks. I have been trying to cut grid lines into the hull. This is would have been easier if I had not collapse the Subd on the Meshes and also cut in the windows.
    However I have been very unsuccessful. So I might have to do a part rebuild of the secondary hull.
    Anyway while I decided how to proceed I have add some more details to the secondary hull, I have also rebuilt the deflector dish.

secondary-hull-details.png

secondary-hull-deflector-dish-1.png

I have also started to add some panels to the saucer but not sure if it working.
    What do you guys think?

saucer-test-panels-tops.png
  • halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    Mate this is great work, sorry to hear you might have to do a rebuild on the secondary hull. Do you have an old saved version from which you can import the pre sub hull from? I think the panels on the saucer really work, what might be throwing you off is that you only have a few at the moment. Once you fill that thing you'll definitely see the difference.
    Thanks.
    Unfortunalty I don't have any past saves from when I built it. They where all on a laptop that died.
    Other wise it would have been the first thing I would have done.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    She's looking gorgeous, mate. i always adored the predatory lines of the Akira. :D
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Personally I'd remove the grilles over the flux chillers (blue bits on the nacelles). They look a bit... there for the sake of being there, if that makes any sense. It breaks up the look of the ship a bit, especially with it being a large deviation from the base design. Otherwise, really well sculpted ship, genuinely surprised at how few smoothing errors or such are on it.
  • halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    Freak wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Unfortunalty I don't have any past saves from when I built it. They where all on a laptop that died.
    Other wise it would have been the first thing I would have done.

Gutted mate, well I have no doubt you'll be able to re-build it without a second thought. :)
    Thanks Guys.

@ Doomsponge, I added them to give that area of the nacelle some protection.
    If you look at the ships that where built for war in Trek. they don't even have those blue sections.
    As they are on the original version of it, I though I would put something there to protect them.

@ hal, I started the rebuild of it, but I am including parts from the original meshes. so it might take a while.
    But as soon as it done I will post it up here.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    this is really coming along nicely Dean:)

how long you been working on this?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    the necelles dont fit with the ship period imo they are far to blocky
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    colbmista wrote: »

Well, it's a existing canon ship he's making so what do you suggest he do about it? Seriously, what do you suggest other than saying you don't like the design? As far as modeling goes, it's pretty spot on so yours isn't really a critique of the model or the technique is it?
    Lee80 wrote: »
    this is really coming along nicely Dean:)

how long you been working on this?

Thanks Lee.
    I started back in September 10, and worked on it for a few months. I then left it as I did not have any texture skills. (still don't, but I know more than I did. ;) )
    I recently finallyfinished texturing the Type 11 shuttle, (you can see that on my Blog. some recent pictures can be found on my blog gallary.) I thought it was time to head back to it. I saw alot of thing wrong with it, so I started to correct them. Truning out to be a bigger job than I though but I am enjoying it.
    colbmista wrote: »
    Christ Man!! Juvat got a point, you say you don't like the nacelles, but you have not said how to correct the issue.
    I have done what was designed and show in the film/ TV Shows. I have made a few changes to them but nothing major.

I might once I have finished the rest of the ship come back to the nacelles and make them flow with the rest of the ship.
    But for the time being, the are staying as they are.
    If you have any suggestion on how to improve what I have done, please feel free to say.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    bevel the edges a bit??
    They have been beveled, but the nacelles are meant to be a bit blocky, except for the rear end on the under side.
    Granted I have not done this as I was havnig issue getting it right. But you have to be very close to it to notice it.

Thanks you for your comment.
    Okay maybe not a complete rebuild, but it near enough was.
    Basically what I did was do a major clean up of the meshes. You can see here from the picture of the old meshes with wire frame, that it was a complete mess.

old-hull-wire.png

There was a lot I did not like about it. You can see how I was having issue with doing the panels for it. So what I did was remove all the windows and just give the meshes a good clean removing faces that where not really needed, and try and set it up so that I could start to cut some decent panels.
    Here is the mesh after the clean up.

new-hull-wire.png

With the mesh now all cleaned up it was time to start cutting in the panels.
    I have to say that it not a typical trek panelling but it works. I am not to sure about it. Or should I go with a more trek looking one.
    Anyway, I have also cut in a little door area for cargo to go into the secondary hull. I need to re-add some of the windows. As I said before I will put in a smaller number as this is after all is a war ship.

Here is how she stands now.

panels-angle.png

panels-side.png

panels-back1.png
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Nice updates :) I rather like what you have done with the akira. On your last render it looks like you are having the same issue i always have with rounded hulls, the grid lines on the back section there above the torp launchers are just a bit thicker than the rest... I still haven't quite figured out how to make grids with out this issue...

Look forward to seeing her finished Great work :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work there.
    Aresius wrote: »
    Nice work there.

Thanks
    fluxfire wrote: »
    Nice updates :) I rather like what you have done with the akira. On your last render it looks like you are having the same issue i always have with rounded hulls, the grid lines on the back section there above the torp launchers are just a bit thicker than the rest... I still haven't quite figured out how to make grids with out this issue...

Look forward to seeing her finished Great work :)

Thanks.

The main issue when cutting in the panels is that the faces are not the same size. So I can't do a loop cut at the same setting as some will be samller and others bigger. So it done by hand and trying to judge it, so they are all roughly the same size.

I have started to work on where I am going to place the windows. Not really looking forward to cutting them again. Atleast I will not be putting in as many this time. :D
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Freak wrote: »
    The main issue when cutting in the panels is that the faces are not the same size. So I can't do a loop cut at the same setting as some will be samller and others bigger. So it done by hand and trying to judge it, so they are all roughly the same size.

I have started to work on where I am going to place the windows. Not really looking forward to cutting them again. Atleast I will not be putting in as many this time. :D

Very true on that... guess i am just really OCD about making them as close as possible :P

Yeah when you have to do windows on a rounded surface it gets rather annoying...
    First set are now cut in and just cleaning them up.
    I'll post pic's once I have cut them all in.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    I think you went the right way with the panel lines. If you look at the "grid" pattern on the primary hull of the Excelsior class, I think you will see that what you have done fits in well with Trek Tech as we know it. Can't wait to see how it comes out.