Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Class Starship

• FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    I have not seen that pic in years. I had forgotten about it.
    They do look much better than the one I have on her and the ref's I got. I change them.

BTW next update won't be until a few weeks into the new year. I currently don't have anytime to model at the moment. But will do soon.
    Don't fear this project is not dead.
    I been cutting the windows into the catamarans, not normally a problem. But for some reason once I cut a set in, it made holes and errors on the other side. This meant that not only have to clean up the new windows but also fix all the holes and errors.
    I have now complated cutting out the windows on the out side of the catamarans. I just need to do the few on the inside.

onto the pic's.

cat-with-windows.png

cat-with-windows-side.png

cat-windows-close-up.png

cat-with-windows-clay.png

Next I will be working on more details.
  • I must say, this is looking great. Being a blender user, Im glad to see someone making a decent mesh of the akira. The converted one at Star Trek Blender inst really good for closeups, however i did get one really nice render out of it. Check it out. http://www.trekmeshes.ch/publicgallery/images/Anchillies_VIII.jpg I have tried and tried, and tried to get that look again, THe Oberth mesh isnt even a Megabyte in size and it looks nice in that render. Not sure what i did. But anyways, you making this mesh for yourself, or you intend to release it, or hand out privately or what?
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Of all the ships that came out of First Contact, this was defiantly the best.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Of all the ships that came out of First Contact, this was defiantly the best.

:thumb:

Nice work on those catamarans, Freak. They look spot on. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Indeed, it looks great.
    Thanks Guys.
    I must say, this is looking great. Being a blender user, Im glad to see someone making a decent mesh of the akira. The converted one at Star Trek Blender inst really good for closeups, however i did get one really nice render out of it. Check it out. http://www.trekmeshes.ch/publicgallery/images/Anchillies_VIII.jpg I have tried and tried, and tried to get that look again, THe Oberth mesh isnt even a Megabyte in size and it looks nice in that render. Not sure what i did. But anyways, you making this mesh for yourself, or you intend to release it, or hand out privately or what?

I have DL that meshes. I was going to use it to see how he did some of the shapes, but when I opened it and saw how bad it was. I had to just delete the file and go on my own, which worked out for the best.

I had no plans to release it publicly. however I am willing to hand it out privately.
    If you want a copy once I have finished it, just send me a PM and I'll send it over.

okay onto the updates.

Finally finsiehd of all the windows on the cat, not as many to do on the inside so I managed to get in done in a day.
    I have also added a sensor suit to the top on the saucer just in front of the bridge. By the looks form the concept art and plans, looks like the area is a door, but given that the main hanger is just a few decks below this. I have decied to go with a sensor.

I also added the hanger door. For the forward one. I was thinking they where holographic. As there is already a forcefeild in place, it would be hard to have holo emitter there as well. This would save having to open the door when in battle. Ships can still fly out but nothing can get in. so if the area was was hit a attack. You would just have to refesh the area that was damage and you would have a new door good to go. (the emiter would be in the ship so they would be less likely to be damaged.

Anyway on to the pic.

Cat inner windows.
    cats-with-inner-windows-close-up.png

cats-with-inner-windows-close-up-2.png

Sensors
    close-up-sensors1.png

Hanger Doors
    hanger-details1.png

launch-tubes.png

I have also done some lighting test, though I am not fully happy with this, so it needs a bit more work.

top-light-test.png

under-lighting-test.png

It was also mentioned that the RCS where too chuncky, so I have rebuilt these.

new-rcs.png

Finally here are two render of the full ship. One is a clat render.

current-standing.png

current-clay-render.png

Now to move onto the textuers. I have to say I am not looking forward to this. LOL
  • backsteptbackstept2281 Posts: 956Member
    excellent work, Dean :thumb:
    Thanks Andy
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yup nice model so far :thumb: I like the vibrant colors and the fact that you're modeling all the details instead of just texturing them.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Congratulations of some really great modeling. She's looking great. Please feel free to upload LOTS of pics of your efforts to texture her. I am thinking of starting to learn proper texturing, and I can use all the Blender hints I can get.

The lighting looks pretty good to me, and I can't really find any fault with the general modeling either. I like the very stripped-down looking Maneuvering thrusters, they are an excellent compromise between the source material and what we see on the rest of the fleet. Everything is very clean, I don't see any mesh problems anywhere. Good solid work.
    Thanks guys.

There is one thing that won't be modelled. and that is the ship grid lines, though on this it more like hull plating.
    The reason being, is that I should have modelled them before cutting in the windows. now that they are cut in, I can't do the shape of the plating with out about a months clean up and plan remodelling. which will take to much time to do.

I got a copy of the saucer with out the windows somewhere so at a later date, I might go back and do it correctly.

Polaris, I am going to move her over to Blender 2.5 for the textures. I have played around with textuers there and I find it easier to do it in that version.
    With the Type A– 11 Shuttle now finished I thought it would be a good time to head back the Akria Class that started it all off.

I recently re-opened the file, and found that there where a number of things that I am not happy with. So I have started to correct these issues. First up, is the weapons pod.

Here is where I left it last; I have added the shuttle to show scale.

trop-bay-old-version.png

As you can see those torpedos launch tubes are way off scale. They are wider than the shuttle making for some big ass torpedoes. With the torpedoes that size you are not going to store too many in there.

There was also some issue with the pod itself, so I have remodelled this. It is now much cleaner than before. With that done it was onto the torpedo launch tubes.
    These have been completely rebuilt. But before I started that, I built a proper scale model of a torpedo. Though none where seen during the run of TNG we have seen them in the TOS films and some have appeared in VOY. (The size has not changes.)
    The size of them are slight larger than a normal person. (Spock was buried in ST: II TWOK.)

With that done I then started to work on the launcher, I could fix two of them into the old launch tubes. This means that the forward one now had 8 instead of 4. I have kept three in the lower section of the pod.
    As for the rear launch tubes I never like the idea that they where set up in a semicircle, as this created a blind spot on the rear of the ship. I have corrected this by having them point to the rear. With that done, I had to remodel the housing for that set of torpedo launchers. Given this correction there was no need to add more launchers in there.

The weapons pod now has 17 launcher instead of 13, it might be over kill, but the Akria class is a warship and not an exploration ship. Even with the 4 extra launchers there is still plenty of room for a good number of torpedos to be stored in the pod.

The only thing that survived the original model was the gribbles at the top and bottom of the pod.

new-trop-lruncher-close-up.png

new-trop-lruncher-front.png

new-trop-lruncher-rear.png

trop-bay-new-version-finihsed.png

With that done I am now moving onto correcting the rest of the weapons on the ship.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    nice on the fixing
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    That thing is a beast! I'm glad to see you're coming back to this. :thumb:
    Thanks Guys, more to follow soon.
  • anthscoanthsco365 Raleigh, NCPosts: 87Member
    Excellent work, glad to see some progress on this beautiful ship!
    Thanks
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    your solution for the torpedo pod is both elegant and pleasing
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    I'm saving your pics of those photon tubes to my hard drive. Don't be surprised if my torpedo tubes start looking a lot like those...
    Thanks guys.

@ Polairs, no worries mate. If I inspirer you then I am honoured.
    With the weapons pod finished I have now moved onto the rest of the ship’s weapons.
    Again there was issue with scale with the torpideo launchers. So I have gone in and remodelled these.
    For the forward laucnhers I had two, but on the concept art there are four. So I have now corrected this to match.

On the offical ship there was no rear launcher. I had installed two on the secondary hull to fix the blind spot. With having corrected this issue with the remodelling of the weapons pods, there is no real reason to keep them there now. But I remodelled them to the correct scale. I might pull these out and put in a Tracter Beam emitter. But we will see.

As for the Phasers, there was nothing wrong with them. all I have done is corrected a few setting so they look better than they did before.

forward-tubes.png

rear-tubes.png

weapons-full-ship-bottom.png

weapons-full-ship.png
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1924 CaliforniaPosts: 2,081Member
    Very, very nice Freak. This is a difficult ship to do.
    Thanks
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    excellent work I really like the torpedo systems
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    The problem I've always had with this design is that the warp nacelles just look too blocky when compared with the more ergonomic shapes of the rest of the vessel, still this is an excellent rendition of the craft, really nice level of detail around the weapon systems. Nice work.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1924 CaliforniaPosts: 2,081Member
    And of course the aerodynamic shape of the saucer and booms isn't really necessary in space. You're right. A mixture of the two.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Hmmm, I think from looking at screenshots of the actual ship, the problem is the front of the warp nacelles. Looks like they're supposed to be quite blocky at the back but blend into a more curved shape at the front more flush with the shape of the buzzards than how you have the shape on your model, that is why they just look way too blocky when compared to the rest of the ship.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work there.
    Thanks guys.

@ TALON_UK I agree about the nacelles. I am currently working on remodelling those.