Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnuba Class Strike Frigate

sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
edited May 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hey all, decided to end my modeling break by finishing a build that I had started when my Sketchup/Modeling skills were just not gonna let it happen...

But in the last year or so I've learned enough tricks and such to where a relatively decent 3D version of my Anuba design is now possible..

I have more or less finished the primary hull/major components build and am ready to start detailing. Comm/sensor arrays, weapons, various functional greebles etc...But I thought I had enough now to start a thread.

This has been the most challenging and frustrating, not to mention time consuming model I have tried. Sketchup does not work and play well with organic modeling. I have spent hours at a time healing geometry that measures less than a sq. ft. relative to the overall "real life" length of the vessel. But I'm a perfectionist as much as I can be. I think this build has the potential to be a good one.

I have made some subtle changes to the original 2D design you may notice. And I'll likely be making a few more that look better and work better for 3D.

Just some SU renders so far..No point doing a Kerk render yet. I included a wireframe to show the SU insanity. So far, when exported to Kerk it totals out to around 260,000 polys..surprisingly low.

I'll do my usual backstory writeup when I'm a little farther along.
89238.jpg
Post edited by sorceress21 on
Tagged:

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I have to say I don't remeber this one, from your 2d drawing.
    But it a cool looking ship.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    It was one of the first ones I put up on the site. It dates back years. As you can see, there is heavy anime, specifically Star Blazers influence with this ship. The SQCD nacelles are obviously quite inspired by the Enterprise Class warp nacelle type. I may end up doing something more original with the nacelle design but I'm gonna go with it for now as it fits nicely with the overall flow of the design.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Way cool! Can't wait to read the backstory too. Gotta have my backstory fix!
    I took a small break from modeling..

Anuba Class back story Part 1:

During the latter months of the year 1310 A.E. the Aquellan ruling house Cohl, led by Regent, Lord Tanar Cohl of Autriala, came under political fire and heavy criticism by the Aquellan Guild Legion. The legion cited that the Regent and his ruling house had failed to take full advantage of the economic opportunities that the Aquellan membership within the United Suns Treaty Organization had provided. Regent Cohl was a traditionalist in the greatest sense and was very outspoken regarding the necessity and security provided by the long held static economy of the Aquellan Republic. It was this criticism that began a wind of change that would sweep the ancient republic straight into the greatest war in human history.

As Pisca of the year 1311 ended the Guild Legion formally brought a referendum before the Aquellan Ruling Council of Lords. The referendum LEG00679-A would dissolve the Business and Trade Limitations Act which stated that Guild Corporations may not engage in business leading to material and economic expansion unless under direct instruction or directive from the Regent, during times of war, or the Ruling Council of Lords during peacetime. The dissolution of the act would allow all Aquellan Guilder Corporations to seek expansive profit for the first time in Aquellan history. The vote once cast was 17 to 4 and the outcome was promptly vetoed by Regent Cohl. The Veto did not come without cost to the Regent. Several of the Council Dukes immediately began to campaign to the public billing the Regent as a dictator whose goal was to keep the people of Aquella confined and economically oppressed. The campaign, though not well received by the Aquellan public, threw the council into turmoil and effected the Regent’s health.

As political war raged within the Republic the USTO began expanding its mining and commercial agriculture ventures into several rimward sectors that had long been the traditional prospecting territory of numerous Aquellan Guild Corporations. This only served to outrage the Guild Legion and worsen the problems within the Aquellan Presidium. Several Guild legion representatives began calling for a vote of no confidence against Regent Cohl. Once this new political problem for the Regent arose it had dealt the final blow to his failing health. On Scorpia 13th, 1311, at the age of 122 the Regent suffered a massive neural seizure and was comatosed. Ironically, by Aquellan law a vote of no confidence may not be levied against an incapacitated Regent. In the event this happens for whatever reason the first son of the Regent rules in his place. But unfortunately for House Cohl this was not possible. Regent Cohl’s first son, Danar Cohl, had long since enlisted with the USTO military and due again to ancient law, any royal house member currently serving in the military forces of any other government cedes all claim to the chair of the Regent. In this event the Regent’s chair goes to the Minister of Defense.

General Rotan Meika accepted the position humbly, but had long been a proponent of the vetoed LEG00679-A and promptly suspended the veto and passed the referendum. Not long after that in full USTO Senate session the General demanded an immediate withdraw of all USTO Commercial operations in the now disputed rim territories. This was not well received within the senate and the demand was formally refused. This was the primer for the beginnings of an Aquellan succession from the USTO.

As political preparations were made for Aquellan independence military preparations were made as well. General Meika promptly ordered the Aquellan Shipbuilder’s Guild to begin developing a state of the art warship to become the backbone of the Royal Aquellan Defense Force Naval Regiment fleet and the Anuba Class Heavy Frigate was born.
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Great design!
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    good luck!
    ooooooo! Great story too. :)
    liam887 wrote: »
    good luck!

Er...liam, SFM brutha....dude.....ya know I dig ya and your work...but...

What the hell are you talking about? LOL...Good luck with what?
    God luck with this new model !........sorry i wasn't being sarcastic or anything lol I just genuinely meant 'good luck' yano break a leg, do a good job etc etc lol, what with the screencap with all that geometry im just wishing you all the best not that you need it! :-p
    some people ey tut tut...

good start anyway im still wrestling with my avatar model, Su really doesn't love organics and its such a pain to clean up! Been playing with kerk a lot recently just cant find any good materials, not quite sure how to make them either. Looking for a good material to use for my helicopter but no luck, got all the materials from the kerk site but not a looker in the lot :-(
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Hm... It is still a WIP, right? It looks pretty cool...
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    Er...liam, SFM brutha....dude.....ya know I dig ya and your work...but...

What the hell are you talking about? LOL...Good luck with what?

lol, that was totally jokes

really like this design, like you said looks very anime inspired. Can't wait to see what you'll be able to do with it
  • ulkeshulkesh0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the sleek design. It has an elegant, yet deadly feel to it.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Great model! Not sure if it is "Yamato" - like, more like some modern animes, but still very interesting shape. Background is a good reading as allways. :)

2 Liam
    The easiest way for kerk to make a material is to find decent texture, UV-map it in SU or other program, then, after you`ve exported model to kerk - use PLASTIC with desired reflectiveness (there are a lot of them available for download) and them, apply your texture to "diffuse" , "shine" (don`t remember how it was called - next after diffuse) and "bump map". You will get your texture with reflectiveness of plastic, and all the relief you want. Also, for ease of use, if you use the same materials over and over, it`s a good idea to make your own library (thou, it`s a bit of pain in the back, but it worth the efforts) to assign materials in one click, or even preset them in SU (not adviced).
    God luck with this new model !........sorry i wasn't being sarcastic or anything lol I just genuinely meant 'good luck' yano break a leg, do a good job etc etc lol, what with the screencap with all that geometry im just wishing you all the best not that you need it! :-p
    some people ey tut tut...

good start anyway im still wrestling with my avatar model, Su really doesn't love organics and its such a pain to clean up! Been playing with kerk a lot recently just cant find any good materials, not quite sure how to make them either. Looking for a good material to use for my helicopter but no luck, got all the materials from the kerk site but not a looker in the lot :-(

Lol, yeah I figured that's what you meant, I was just being my normal sarcastic self...LOL
    Aardwolf wrote: »
    Hm... It is still a WIP, right? It looks pretty cool...

Oh yes, very much so...Lot's and lot's of work left on this one..I have about 110 hrs into so far..By the time it's done..It will probably be 200 and close to a million polys. And as mentioned, SU hates organics. Many of the great tools that SU has become problem causers with organics so I find myself having to do quite a bit of manual modeling, poly by poly on a design like this.
    you count hours? :p so will you abandon it at 200 if it's not done? :p
    The hours are an estimate, I don't know why I keep track..for the hell of it I guess. And will I abandon this one? Nope...I need this model done so I can do a couple different still scene's I have in mind.
    Kind of a crappy update but I wanted to do a render an see how it would look...slow goin this model is. The textures thus far, for the most part are temporary.
    82993.jpg82994.jpg
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Nice ship, though there's some odd angled corners at the bottom of a few hull components that look odd. Are you going to remove them?
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    looking good!
    cool, I bet this thing has an agressive looking front profile
    BorgMan wrote: »
    Nice ship, though there's some odd angled corners at the bottom of a few hull components that look odd. Are you going to remove them?

It would help Borg if you would let me know where specifically. I have had to remodel a few spots to remove "hull creases". And in some cases I will be placing a greeble over the bad angle to save time and add detail.
    Looks neat! I also think of a close support variant with a sharkmouth might look cool...

P40-fighter.jpg
    Er....No, LOL. It's a starship, a rather big one. IRL comparable to a US Navy Burke Class Destroyer, sharkmouth markings would look silly....The Anuba Class does have surface attack capability but it's primary function is ship to ship combat. But I appreciate the suggestion nevertheless.
    wow that looks really good, its going to be pretty slick when its done coming along very nicely. What are the hexaganol arrays at the front are they radiators or something? they look really good!

Hey I got invited by the Sketchup team to go to google sketchup HQ in Colorado in September for a three day seminar with the developers they are giving tutorials and workshops etc, cool or what!
    wow that looks really good, its going to be pretty slick when its done coming along very nicely. What are the hexaganol arrays at the front are they radiators or something? they look really good!

Hey I got invited by the Sketchup team to go to google sketchup HQ in Colorado in September for a three day seminar with the developers they are giving tutorials and workshops etc, cool or what!

Awesome! How did you manage that? You'll have to write up some tuts and give those guys our complaints, LOL...

The array on the bow section is the HMAA (Hyper Magnetic Anomaly Array) It detects objects in hyperspace.
    dont know I got an email from the product manager of google sketchup? inviting me to this thing in Colorado at google sketchup HQ called "3D basecamp" basically its all the people who design sketchup and work there and then 200 people who have been invited and it goes on for three days. they will have workshops, advanced tutorials presentations it all sounds pretty cool. All the guys who make the plugins and that are going so I may learn a few new tricks.
    Haha dont worry ive got a long list of complaints grrr!
    Ah HMAA I think I remember this from one of your models from ages ago, ne of the first ones I ever saw you do. Hmm by the way was meaning to ask you what materials you used for the outer body of that VTOL helicopter gunship thing you did ages ago, i still cant make my own materials in kerk and my own helicopter is in dire need of a paint job
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Er....No, LOL. It's a starship, a rather big one. IRL comparable to a US Navy Burke Class Destroyer, sharkmouth markings would look silly....The Anuba Class does have surface attack capability but it's primary function is ship to ship combat. But I appreciate the suggestion nevertheless.

I don't remember the name, but I toured a WWII-era submarine in Baltimore harbor which had a shark-teeth design on the front.

Edit: Aha! The USS Torsk:

013_10_USS_Torsk.jpg
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    That`s quite common idea, it seems :D
    frigatesenroute2.th.jpg
    snap lol

all of the ships you have done so far sorceress, do they all belong in your own original universe as the array thing has been used on two craft now or are they all separate things?
    83036.jpg
    All my designs are within my original universe though are at different points in the timeline. And there are common technologies in my universe such as in ST or SW..

And..There will be NO sharkmouth paint schemes in my universe unless it's a present day Earth aircraft or something, but I don't see any models like that ever poppin up with me.

And that texture on the Raptor was one I found via Google..I think I just did a search for weathered rusty metal texture, then put it into Gimp and tweaked it.