Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnuba Class Strike Frigate

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I love the design!
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    ahhh gotcha well they are all very cool! ahh ok I will learn how to make materials this week I hope lol!
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Here's a little update..(see first post)..I wanted to do an engine test...Yes, the ventral sensor pods are not yet attached..
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Glow is looking good. How do you manage that in kerk, and how long the render take? As far as I remember, kerkythea is damned sencible to multiple lights scenes...
    Right click on the material you want to light up, then Edit Material. Assign a color under self-luminance and wahla!. That render took about 15 mins.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking very cool, even if it doesn't have a shark mouth. :)
    Here's my first decent update. The geometry on this thing has been nothing short of a first class bitch. Progress has been very very slow as there are very few surfaces on this model that will be straight edged. Right now the model is about 620,000 polys. I only have to finish modeling the forward VLF antennas, the PHIDS turrets, and the main weapons turret then on to round edging, detailing and final textures.
    83207.jpg83208.jpg
  • Looks good, I especially like the bridge, well done.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    How did I miss this thread?!

Sorceress21, you are really making SU sit up and beg :lol: I love the look, it kind of reminds me of Peter Elson's paintings. Now that I know you are modelling again I am going to keep an eye out for updates :)
    Thanks guys..it's been a chore with a lot more to do..
    Here's a render of various textures I have..I'm a little undecided how I want to texture this thing..any suggestions?
    83309.jpg
    white ones and grayish "hexed" elements looks the best IMHO. Other pannels looks too crude for such streamlined ship.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    the texture on the far right is the best for the hull as for those really sharp grey textures used on the smaller parts I would get rid! Might get a hands on of Sketchup 8 in 4 weeks hopefully it will be packed with lots of goodys ill keep you updated!
    Okay, so i think I'm 99% sure I got the right primary texture for the hull now..opinions?
    83333.jpg
  • alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
    You may be interested in a sketchup tool called D.B. skin. It allows you to select two curves and skin them. It works best on two curves with the same number of segments and are not connected to each other. The skin always generates on the main layer outside of all groups. I have used it as a short cut around Su's limitations while organicly modeling. I have found that when I make two high poly shapes and intersect them, I can find very small missing faces here and there that need cleaned up. I haven't found a work around for that yet.
    Your texture is cool btw. What size (pixe x pixel) is the image you are using for it?
    Looking good :) probably too random pattern for my taste, but looks perfect on this one.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Smooth and shiny, with just a hint of structure. Makes it look more like crystalline iron "grown" in zero-g than plating. I like it!
    alleyviper wrote: »
    You may be interested in a sketchup tool called D.B. skin. It allows you to select two curves and skin them. It works best on two curves with the same number of segments and are not connected to each other. The skin always generates on the main layer outside of all groups. I have used it as a short cut around Su's limitations while organicly modeling. I have found that when I make two high poly shapes and intersect them, I can find very small missing faces here and there that need cleaned up. I haven't found a work around for that yet.
    Your texture is cool btw. What size (pixe x pixel) is the image you are using for it?

Thanks for all the comments guys, looks like I have a winner here. The texture is 600x600. And is that SU tool a free one?
    Thanks for all the comments guys, looks like I have a winner here. The texture is 600x600. And is that SU tool a free one?

The plugin is free. I think this is the same version I have http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/plugin_details.php?id=388 It says it works on closed loop but I don't think so. Some tricks I learned while using it...make sure your arcs have the same number of segments or it adds way too many faces. Sometimes the skin is backwards so you will have to reverse faces. Also, the skin the plugin makes is added on the default layer outside all groups. Let's say you have a line of 10 arcs you want to skin. Turn them into a group. Go inside the group and select two arcs you want to skin. Go to tools, DB tools, skin (There is a skin toolbar if you turn it on). The skin will appear outside the group on the default layer. Repeat the process on your next set of arcs untill all the skinning is done. Then, exit the group, select all of your new skin. Copy. erase. Go into the group or layer you want the skin on and select edit, paste in place.
    There may be a more updated version of this plugin out there. I'm not sure which version I have as the title of the script is simply skin.rb
    Another tip. Let's say you have two arcs that are identical. The edges are connected and at a 90 degree angle. Find the segment on each arc closest to where they connect. Draw a line connecting those two segments. Now erase where the two arcs connected and the lines you just drew. You should be left with two arcs just short of touching each other. Now, select the arcs and skin them. I found that if the two arcs are touching and you run the tool, nothing happens.
    Did some work on the SQCD nacelle.
    83381.jpg
    Still wondering, how you made that white texture. Is it just a bump map without actual texture? If it isn`t too time consuming for you, can you compile some sort of short tutoreal for making such texture? I want to experiment with similar effects on my own ships, but have no idea where to start.
    It's just the default SU frontface..there are a couple of hex shaped areas colored with a darker grey. That will all get filled in with a proper texture.
    I mean the white one on this render.
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?76202-Anuba-Class-Strike-Frigate&p=494429&viewfull=1#post494429

If it is a default frontface, then you have added some bump map in kerk? The settings is what I`m after :)
    Ohh, you are talking about the hex texture on the torpedo tube doors...That's a default SU texture, colorized, then darkened. It's in the "Tile" texture group in the materials editor. It looks really cool when you bump map it..I actually haven't even done that yet on any renders thus far.
    There is something just not right about this...Are the colors/textures too hodge podged? Do ya'll think I should decrease variations in the hull color sections and increase uniformity?..I dunno..I can't quite figure out what is killin it..There is just something "off" about how it looks...not design wise..texture/color wise..
    83411.jpg
  • Saturation of colours; the blue is dominating, dial it back a bit so it looks slightly muted, more in keeping with the gunmetal grey of the rest of the ship it might 'fit' a little more. Uniformity is a good idea, the main hull looks obviously engineered but you're currently lacking any visual markers / means of showing how it was assembled, there appears not to be any individual segment / segments that allow the eye to follow a plausible means of construction. Not that that's required on starships per se but it's one of the reasons many well known designs 'work' aesthetically, from a few views anyone can take a stab at how something was constructed and are therefore reassured that it 'works' as it's supposed to.

Additionally the specular highlights on the hull metal are strong, unless the light source is very strong then I'd recommend changing the material to allow more form and less reflectivity, the bump map currently alludes to a panelled design something that is all but washed out in four significant sections of the hull metal. Most notably the centre section reveals that the blue stripe and grey hexagons do not share the same specular reflectivity this means they almost sit on top of the hull visually rather than being part of it.

None of the above are problems unless you deem them to be they're just my observations and what I would change to make the vessels textures more harmonious.

Addendum -

Having looked at your previous image where there's very little specular highlight because you're on the 'dark' side of the vessel I would say that looking at the saturation and specular reflectivity are your main visual obstacles to a picture that isn't 'blown out' by white light even that picture (nice though it is) lacks some indication of construction however I feel upon reflection that this is less to do with texture and more to do with model detail, which is entirely beyond my remit at this time (as in; go dope it out with some greebles or leave it be) :).
    Great crit Fireload, thanks..Good stuff to think about. Greebles are the one thing that I never go crazy with. As my design philosophy keeps those in check. My feeling: For every greeble there must be an actual function! Too many on this design would dull up the sleekness of the vessel. Though there are a few more coming that actually have a purpose. I do want to cut hull segment detents into the main hull section. That's not very easy to do with all the curves in SU.

I think my primary grip right now is with the color/scheme..and perhaps even layout of the forward section..It has a feeling of too much nonsensical randomness to it...It will be changing a bit I think..Though I don't know how yet...
    I'm sorry sorceress, but you are going to have to put this model on hold so you have to time to make a texture tutorial.
    Dude..seriously? I always thought my textures really sucked..I don't make any of them..I find something via Google then modify it first in SU, then in Kerk. There are some "okay" hull plating textures out there floating around..I have yet to find a really good one though...What specifically did you want to know?

Here's a small update...I got rid of some of the nonsensical clutter on the FWD hull section..added in a personnel service hatch, and another tri-thruster mount. I toned down the specularity on the hull textures but I think I may turn that back up once I start rendering some still scenes with the finished model..
    83430.jpg
  • I entirely agree that greebles for greebles sake are unnessecary destractions but in the serious contemplation between purely fantasy space craft and a 'logical' starship (just as much fantasy I grant you) there needs to be plans and a form and function for each external point of hull reference. It's one of the reasons I rarely make it to building my own 3D starships, I'm too busy planning the interiors to work out what should be going on the outside and applying function.

If taken to its' logical extreme a starship, especially one that's specifically designed to be spaceborne only would have a variety of different access points for different materials as well as structural hull bracing penetrating the exterior hull at specific points (if only in a very minor way) to provide a place of anchorage, both for hull plating and exterior manual or automatic visual surveys / maintenance etc. Moreover this level of detail (one might call it 'vessel design fidelity') not only provides visual queues as to structure and purpose but also adds to the idea if not the reality that the design is grounded largely in logical rather than fanciful concepts.

While I know for a fact that software technology in this matter does not make your life particularly easy in the build I would hope (for I, as yet, have little frame of reference) that well thought out plans from which you can build would aid you in contruction practice and technique. Albeit only in as much as understanding the form, function and placement of objects in relativity not nessecarily there interaction, importance and aesthetic design implications of the vessels exterior / interior.

What I doubt you are constrained by is imagination so the level of detail and planning without resorting to spurious details of unknown function is entirely up to you. On the up side, at least you have actually built something :)