Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF's Romulan uh, STUFF! =-

• Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    This is what the Romulan warbird should have been from the start.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Love this new somewhat-smaller Defiant-esque warbird. Can't wait to see a simple animation of it cloaking/de-cloaking. How many of these are sent out at once to kick a target's butt? Anyone going to hazard a drawing of the bridge for a warbird this size? I imagine something in the Oberth-Class / Nova-Class size range.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Since it's a bit larger than the Defiant (217m vs 170m), I would say something along the lines of a Nova class bridge. But Romulans tend to do things a bit different, so there's really no telling what the bridge would look like. The Valdore had a bridge roughly the size of the Sovereign's, but it was nearly 70m shorter, with considerably less mass. So perhaps the bridge might be as large as the Intrepid's.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9803 Posts: 5,327Member
    Roms often do odd shapes. Pies triangles or half rounds vs fed ovals and circular bridges. (not counting the tos BOP)
    Bridge is located behind the "eyes" in the back of the head Just in front of the cutout so plenty of room. However it would need to have turbolift access or fore/aft entry not the typical hallway into the bridge often seen in TNG.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • bobafettbobafett0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding design and modeling ... A real beauty!
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very nice images! Nice work.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    That is simply outstanding!!!
    Ok some updates. Yes, more textures. I need to redo the feathers textures so that they are not so "white" I have the 2 humps and nacelles to do and then figure out how to get the shuttle bay in. I might leave it as is though.

And yes, I did change the wing maps between the images. Second image is the final, light panels on dark substrate.
    rom171.jpg
    rom172.jpg
    Roughing out the hump. It will probably all be tossed out tomorrow. I want to make them a bit more feather like vs the Klingon's more pointy bits. Latter I always see the plates as like the spinal plating on the uniforms and well of course their heads.
  • peppermanpepperman0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking so good mate. You certainly have set the bar pretty high and given folks like myself a lot to aspire to and some great ideas for the future. Excellent job!
    Hump plating, the motif was a good idea at first but it seems to just be too much crap blurted out on the hull. However, these are just outlines. They might start looking better as I fill them in. So I will hold judgment for now.
    rom175.jpg
    only thing, is it is really subtle when set up. So maybe I will have to either thicken up things or apply some diffuse details. (note it is "bumping" the wrong way in the aft view. Keep forgetting black recedes)The outer feathers still annoy me. The crosshatching hull plating should not exist. Yet it does. -_-;' Those patterns should flow like they do on the dark panels. FFFF RAge etc so on.

Yeah definitely got to thicken up the line work.
    rom177.jpg
    rom178.jpg
    Could you give us [me] an additional view; namely 4:30 or 7:30/low? I'm thinking you could put the shuttle bay under the engineering compartment, which I'm assuming is the bulge on the aft end of the hull, in between the impulse drives. But I can't say for sure as I've never seen the ship from that angle.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=82925&d=1277206199
    lots of views pages back.
    The bay should be going into that round area below the aft disruptor turret. In that flat curved area between the impulse. The core is in the hump sorta. Issue is the space, how much room there is to get a shuttle in there. I think it is not tall enough.
    If the ship is between 150 and 250m, then I don't see the need for a shuttle, much less a bay. Truth be told, I don't recall seeing any Romulan ships with a shuttle bays.
    Not needing to argue if it needs one or not, looking at adding some sort of visual detail on that area. Plans are to stuff a shuttle bay there. This thing is almost double the mass or interior volume of a connie. Length isn't a true scale of how big it is, you need to know it is wider than it is long. So a shuttle bay cant be too wrong. Those ships seen in TNG had bays, warbirds? I forget the class type atm. Never shown being used but they did have them. Rom shuttles are canon as well some small ones shown as well as that larger one shown on DS9.
    Anyhow the issue is visual detail. Only issue of the shuttle bay is the height of that area I want the detail on. It just requires me to get measurements from canon and estimate a few off of fed shuttles and get a height and compare it to that space. I just have not gotten around to that ATM since I figure I will leave it for later. If the height fails I could just stick windows there. or model some fusion flush vents or what not. (not sure if roms continue to use singularities in other ships. (valdore etc)
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    Capt Dave wrote: »
    If the ship is between 150 and 250m, then I don't see the need for a shuttle, much less a bay. Truth be told, I don't recall seeing any Romulan ships with a shuttle bays.

There are two on the forward part of the lower hull of the D'deridex class ship from TNG.

-edit-
    And the rear of the D7-class battle cruiser. Also according to blueprints, two at the rear of the Bird of Prey from TOS. One on either side of the tail fin.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/romulan-bird-of-prey.php
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    From Daystrom Institute Technical Library:
    Specs on the Romulan shuttle seen in DS9:
    L:24.23m, W:15.98m, H:6.57m
    Updates panels, now matching things better and properly bumped. Earlier I was making max mirror the textures, this lead to inverted results in the bump maps one either side of the hump. -_- ffff annoying.
    rom180.jpg
  • ScotchyScotchy171 Posts: 0Member
    I'm definitely digging on that panel bird. Nice work man.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Are just my eyes (or just my monitor), or you have a smoothing issue over the main hull?
    About the "platting" on top, I beliebe itA’s to much dense in the center. ;)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    It and the heavy weapons platform show a certain similarity in style. Very nicely done.
    Starship wrote: »
    Are just my eyes (or just my monitor), or you have a smoothing issue over the main hull?
    About the "platting" on top, I beliebe itA’s to much dense in the center. ;)

Its both your eyes and monitor, but they're both telling you the truth. Its either a smoothness error, or a render error, but somethings funking with bird.
    Your both wrong. The geometry has not been touched in ages. It has not been touched on the central hull for the past 6mo+. What your likely seeing is highlights off of a gloss map, there is probably some UVW mapping that has gotten disturbed and never repaired. If not it is some arrant artifact in your monitor calibrations blowing out some highlight etc.
    Early set up of the main hull. Gonna have to piece meal them in this area. Probably would serve to unwrap it properly but BAH.
    rom183.jpg
    rom181.jpg
    Layout sketch. Now time to trace it all and make a few changes. Bleah. SOOO hate texture maps.
    rom184.jpg
    rom185.jpg
    thats what we are talking about.
    85629.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i see nothing wrong with it also if your going to point out a supposed error edit the pic with something curcling the error or have an arrow pointing to it
    There IS no error.

BTW ignore the lower part of the "beak" dropping a hatch pattern shows too much distortion to map it the way I planned. It also just does not look right.
    Again plz ignore the bump mapping, it is inverting across the symmetry modifier. (this will be corrected when I finalize the maps)
    This is just an example since I need to again, make the grid lines match up. That and add some detail crud.
    rom186.jpg