Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF's Romulan uh, STUFF! =-

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Love the wingy-thingy, this is one awesome looking bird!

Is it based on the sketch you posted a while ago?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9803 Posts: 5,327Member
    Depends on which one. It is a mix of 2 doodles one really messy line drawing and a really old speed paint ship.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Yeap, and if the show is to be seen right, they had photon torpedos already before the Humans did. They were still using spacial torpedoes and photonic torpedos by then.

Nice work here. :)
    Rough idea for main impulse? Thinking of a third assembly in that "hump" Also toying with cutting the grills into those "wings" vs just insetting the shapes.
    This should illustrate my concern about scale. I am beginning to wonder if something to do with the install on this laptop has things screwed up. The figure is my typical 5'11", it is quite small. Now I could just be way to used to the smaller ships like the Linerunner and the yachts of recent. But she seems awfully small for this being a 216m or so ship.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm, that little guy seems reasonably tiny to me. How many decks would fit in there with the current scale?
    Maybe 15.5 decks total. Thats 8~10ft decks with no doubles halfs etc. I have her side by side with the refit-e based at a 305meter length. I might be off by a few inches. But it all looks fine, just when I put the little people on the hull it is a OMFG WTFIGOH moment.

Part of it is internal mass. Fed ships have a horrible size to mass ratio. Lots of tubes and sticks vs true bulk.
    Max says volume of the E is 7,124,227.48 (whatever they are, oz? lol) The warbird is 13,487,022.4 in comparison. Nearly double.
    Anyhoo got it rendering. It will look like ass since the mesh here on SFM has directories set up not to look in the root but a fixed folder order. So maps are all crapped up and I ain't wasting time fixing em.
    I gave up on dealing with the prior issue.

Scale seems alright. Here it is against my re-connie (sorry only the distro ver, I do not have access to my personal files) I think part of the issue for me is the girth of the thing. It is nearly double the volume as the refit enterprise. Adjusting scale still might not be a bad thing, a pain in the ass, but dunno. As asked elsewhere she is about 15.5 decks excluding half decks, arboretums and other nonstandard levels. (10foot decks)
    KIM my connie is 1200ft vs 1000.7 of the refit. Not much of a visible difference. (65.7meters diff) And she looks a bit pap cause it was not meant to be rendered with mental ray.
    it is getting late and nothing much done since setting things up to test with the re-connie and failed attempts to work with the refit mesh I got some vanes and a inset modeled. . . . . I will probably rip out the vanes and do something else and replace the glows inside as well.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    I believe the engines are good the way it is.
    Based upon her bodyA’s shape, the feds could name her as the "M" Class. ;)
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Interesting design, i really like it!!!
    Grills? Hm, I don't think they fit in there, that ship's too elegant and straight for such stuff.
    Think the only real change is the head. Rest is all materials. using a temp material for the hull. Figure the fed aztec just wont work on a Romulan ship.
    Disruptor doohickeys. The plasma things I think will go green since the warp plasma is green. The disruptors will probably get swapped out for torps, since any disruptor I seen was a emitter looking thing vs a barrel. Totally forgot that when I modeled these things. hah. Again the central weapon is temp objects. It will get replaced soon. Some oddities in the close up, rush job to get a render out.
    looks wonderful though.
    small updates.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    love this warbird.can't wait to see someone do a cloak/decloak youtube clip of this in front of a fed ship.
    That's if I release this. :p
    Also what we are used to for cloak being a visible effect as we have expected to see from TNG era, early cloak I think was more like stealth tech today, mostly sensor aberrations or lowering of the signals emitted by a ship. But I guess that is all up to interpretation since you could claim what we saw on the viewscreen is a sensor representation of the ship vs a pure optical feed so on and so on. ;D

Anyhoo update that is more of a screw up. Too much looking at ENT era ships has me doing what I see as TNG details on these nacelles. Glowy bits behind fuzzy glass. SO, I am atm thinking of what other details I could add to make this line up more with the FED craft it will go with. Instead of these exposed coils I will plate this area so it appears to be set up to open up the nacelle to expose a single coil or pairs. With glowy bits on the edges. I do want to depart from the fed designs of "fully covered" and the exposed ends ENT style or like my re-connie. ( to which I was criticized about not having specific tos features on my re-connie (intercoolers I think) ) Also to note this is a representation since the grills are just cut and a translucent material added. The warp grills are asymmetrical as well.
    Ok, taking a break after unloading one of those moving boxes. Not sure if it is visible but this is a extrusion with a translucent material on the rim and photon emitting rods inside. You can see some reflected light spill on the main part of the nacelle. This is the idea but have them as segmented plates. I am unsure right now if I will keep the asymmetry or make them symmetrical.
    I might put those coils back in cause you might MIGHT see them. Or at least band the light emitters with green and yellow for some visual interest.
    Here is where I'm heading. I think I will remove the notch and only do the glowing insets on the "square faces" A app crash took this work no backups or recovery is viable. So I will be rebuilding them again :p
    Ok the coil bits are done. Glows themselves I dunno yet, as it is a bit wasteful to have all that geometry behind such small openings. Thinking a inset box would suffice vs having the coils and plasma objects inside.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow this is looking better than any other Romulan ship I remember ! :thumb: As for the nacelle's insides, I honestly cannot tell what's going on inside so I would say a simple inset with glowing noise map will be enough :D
    Nacelles on the ship.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    She's already a beauty but when you're finished texturing her i bet she'll be gorgeous!!!
    CAn only second that. :)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    I believe the new nacele fits to much better. :)
    Some really small windows. Well not that small but not any fed sized suck a car out into the vacuum windows. I will have some of the latter on it in some other places.

Also repaired the upper vents or whatever. Added the translucent material to it so the guts show vs having a plain photon material.
    Bit out of practice but a little something extra.

With this image , least the full rez one. It is very apparently the Lethe and its related ships need to be converted to Mental Ray materials. They are lacking when rendered in the same scenes. ( mess of post and multiple passes.)
    Disruptor turret, and new plasma cannon and accelerator. I kept these very similar to the TOS design, but it might be redesigned since atm it says to me cowling with 3 tubes in.
    Disruptors probably will look familiar to some. Realized it after I built most of it and at this point I'll call homage to. :p
  • peppermanpepperman0 Posts: 0Member
    Loving those nacells mate. She's looking better and better.