Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSSV Normandy SR2

• Ares45Ares450 Posts: 0Member
    Hey sexy ship bro but I have a question I'm going to download this ship the moment you release it and I was wondering if you had ever herd of the game called Crysis. Well I'm very good with the editor known as the Cryengine 2 and I wanted to import your model into the game engine and use it to make some missions or just something to play around with see what I can do with it. (just to make sure no confusion this doesn't mean edit the model.) Another thing are you planning on rendering an interior of the ship if so I prefer you to make a model with just the basic structure of the ships interior. Crysis has fascinating objects that could render the inside. Anyway I just wanted to throw that out there you keep doing the great job your doing I was just seeing if you could help me out.

Keep up the good work bro awesome ship.
  • nanoprobenanoprobe0 Posts: 0Member
    nice work! keep it up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Well, when you see the upper hatch from the captain's quarters, I think it looks smaller than the large window on the 3d view top. Also, it looks like you can see the internal structure under the hull, so it may be like a sunroof on a car, and the hatch can be closed when not in use.

Heh. On the other hand, if we're quibbling about the size and placement of the captain's personal sunroof, I think that shows just what a stellar job you're doing so far! :)
  • LordDarothLordDaroth0 Posts: 0Member
    This is absolutley awesome. Love the detailing.

I'd love to make pixtures with it once it is finished:)
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    I don't want to hijack Matt's thread, but for anyone that is interested, here are some side-by-side comparisons of the SR1 and SR2 game meshes for reference purposes. There's no definitive statement on the lengths of either, but I have taken a punt that the models of the two in ME2's captain's cabin display case are in scale (with each other at least, but not with all the other ships). It seems about right to me, given that the only thing in the Codex is that the SR2 is "almost twice the mass" of the SR1 and size and weight rarely have a linear relationship.

menormandy01.th.jpg menormandy02.th.jpg menormandy03.th.jpg menormandy04.th.jpg
  • Cerberus373Cerberus3730 Posts: 0Member
    DCB wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack Matt's thread, but for anyone that is interested, here are some side-by-side comparisons of the SR1 and SR2 game meshes for reference purposes. There's no definitive statement on the lengths of either, but I have taken a punt that the models of the two in ME2's captain's cabin display case are in scale (with each other at least, but not with all the other ships). It seems about right to me, given that the only thing in the Codex is that the SR2 is "almost twice the mass" of the SR1 and size and weight rarely have a linear relationship.

menormandy01.th.jpg menormandy02.th.jpg menormandy03.th.jpg menormandy04.th.jpg

Nice ref pics, where did you get them?
    As I said, they are the game meshes. I extracted them from both games.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    UPLOAD TIME!!!1one
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator

Interesting. What format are the models in DCB?
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    I got the impression the SR1 was alot smaller, well from the little toy models you get in your cabin, the SR1 looks alot smaller
    Comco wrote: »
    Interesting. What format are the models in DCB?
    I don't know much about the Unreal Engine formats, but my understanding is that the native format is "Actor X". The extensions are PSK (meshes) and PSA (animations). You can extract the game files with Gildor's Unreal Model Viewer and then import the meshes into Max with his Actor X Importer. Once they are in Max of course you are free to export them in whatever format you choose. I'm just dumping them out as OBJs to play with elsewhere.
    I got the impression the SR1 was alot smaller, well from the little toy models you get in your cabin, the SR1 looks alot smaller
    As I said before, the sizes in the renders are scaled to the meshes for the cabin miniatures, which I extracted as well. I didn't use them directly as obviously they are very low poly. Here are some shots that show a comparison to the miniatures as they are in-game, as well as those actual meshes alongside the high poly ones used in the renders above.

menormandymodelcomparis.th.jpg menormandymodelcomparis.th.jpg

I think perceived differences in size are primarily due to viewing angles, but of course it is also possible (although unlikely) that they applied some scaling factor in-engine to the SR1 miniature.

Sorry again for hijacking your thread Matt.
  • LordDarothLordDaroth0 Posts: 0Member
    The SR2 is about twice the size of the SR1 Normandy.

From Mass Effect 2. EDI said it:)
  • matt/mathiasmatt/mathias0 Posts: 0Member
    Well it is easy to extract them, but is it legal to upload them??
  • Ares45Ares450 Posts: 0Member
    When is your estimated release date it looks like your coming close?
  • I am 90% sure theres some scaling at work there, DCB. If you look at the models, the rearmost parts in your othos match the placement of the rearmost parts of the models, yet the SR1's tip is much closer to the SR2s than it is in-game. In fact, in the models the tip of the SR1 barely clears the place where the SR2's white "cockpit area" begins.

Further, this scan from the ME2 collector's art book seems to indicate that theres a bit more size difference than you're showing there.
  • slimdimslimdim331 Posts: 18Member
    Surely you could just match up the size of the airlock on both modles (asuming that is that both ships have the same sized airlock).
    Okay here is a little update
    Not much to see but I made some details around the side windows
    SSV_Normandy_SR2_windows_01.jpg
    SSV_Normandy_SR2_16.jpg
  • Looking better every time you show her, will be nice to see the net result.
    Very nice indeed. The mod is really neat. I am myself doing my own normandy SR2 and I fell on this thread while looking for more accurate blueprints or MDS since the ones I had so far were really innacurate (actually, one was a painting pre-release and most of the side/top/front were from the loading screens...) and found the ones posted here. I just hope it doesn't bother anybody.

Anyway, I only wanted to say that your own project encourages me to go forth and it is a great challenge. I'm far from having such good results, especially for the hull (I'm six months beginner in 3D) but I'm holding on to it =)

Nice work, keep it up.

Btw, how do you proceed for the texture mapping? Do you use an unwrap or you use the ID ?(I don't even know if you use 3ds max actually!)
    Nice model indeed. Could you give us some information about the tris count and texture size(s)? :)
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good. I'd guess that the portside airlock is about 10-12 feet wide. Based on that, any idea how big the ship is?
    Here is a little update
    SSV_Normandy_SR2_cockpit_bottom.jpg
    SSV_Normandy_SR2_17.jpg
  • RichardmdhRichardmdh321 Posts: 0Member
    Hi guys I'm a Mass Effect fan and I must say these images are beautiful... I haven't seen any other sites or artists do any ships from Mass Effect so welldone mate they're awesome and I hope you do more Normandy Images and others ships I bet Soverign would be a challenge and the Citedal. Keep up the awesome work dude.
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    From the looks of those orthos (and I'm pretty sure they're scaled right), if you were to take the engines off of both ships, the main hull of SR2 would be roughly twice the length of SR1, and roughly twice the width.

By the way, DCB I'm pretty sure your posts aren't hijacking, given that you're providing valuable reference information in regards to matt's WIP.
  • slimdimslimdim331 Posts: 18Member
    This is grate work, I always loved the normandys and wondered why there weren't more of them on here. I love it and can't wait to see more of them!
    Just a couple of questions:
    1: What programme are you using? (sorry if this is metioned somewhere but I don't remember it being talked about)
    2: Is that supposed to be a window on the top just infront of the intake looking things? I don't remember it being in the artwork , I assume it's supposed to be the roof windows in Sheppard's cabin.

Thanks.
    here is an update
    SSV_Normandy_SR2_bottom_front_01.jpg
    SSV_Normandy_SR2_18.jpg
    Looking better every time I see it. What's left to add?

Heh. Just occurred to me. The only thing really missing (and I've got no skill with this stuff) is the interior deck plans.

A good example of ship deck plans that I came across was over on www.rpgnow.com, the "Future Armada" series by Ki Ryn studios. Very well done interior plans.
    Hey again

Anothis I cut he piece I want to texture and then use unwrap uv, renders the uv and use Photoshop to make the texture.

Enenra, right now the model is about 300.000 tris and I have 3 textures at 2048*2048. (I estimate that when it is done I’ll have 450.000 tris and 5 textures at 2048*2048.

Mikey-B I don’t know exactly how big it is, but mine is 225 meters (720 feet).

Slimdim I’m using 3ds max 2010 and yes it is suppose to be the window in captain’s quarters.

And right now I am missing the Thanix (of cause), the standard weapons, some details and texture on the windows, texture details on the bottom, and some more details and a texture on the engines, which won’t take too long I hope.
    Okay now I am missing the weapons and some texture detail

SSV_Normandy_SR2_19.jpg
  • KianShepardKianShepard0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow man, that model is kickin a** in a great many ways. Too bad I stink at virtual modeling programs :(. I'm better at building with my hands than on the pc. And this model build gave me an idea. I know that MANY of us have been starving for a real model of the Normandy, and while it might not be plastic, there may be a way to do it. There is a program called "Pepakura Designer" that allows you to take virtual models, such as this one, and map out the pieces so they can be printed and assembled! I found out about this when I was searching for any kind of Battlemech (Mechwarrior) models i could find. I've got several battlemech cardstock models now of mechs and other scifi stuff.

Maybe that could be done with this model, or if someone has the patience to extract the mesh from the game and go that route. I tried, but I'm in waaaay over my head.

Anyway, food for thought. Sorry, don't mean to hijack. :)