Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Samson - Avatar

• cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Liam, Great job :)
    Only thing I caught (but I could be wrong) is that the refueling boom creates a blind spot for your FLIR and camera system in the nose of your craft. What say? Otherwise I agree with Sorceress21. Keep it up!
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    hmm yes you are right didnt catch that! How can I get around this problem, maybe move the boom higher up on the other side or re-design the optics package altogether?
    You could give the FLIR ball the ability to drop down a half meter or so when in use. I wouldn't move the boom up but you could have a telescoping boom instead of the more solid type you now have. Then it could get out of the way except for when refueling.
    Well ive gone with a telescopic boom (not shown). Gone back and spent two days cleaning up all the geometry, doesnt look like that much but trust me it was! Anyway with that out of the way started on modelling the interior including storage boxes, cargo webbing and new guns. Ive also gone with the blackhawk style of gun arrangement after some good ideas form 'casual observer'. Not much else has changed except some new small details. removed the pressure doors separating the cockpit form the back as they where far too big, going to make some smaller ones soon. Smoothed out the rotor housing also so no more segmentation in the renders!!!
    Anyway here is how it stands so far:
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    It's looking sharp. I'm really liking the interior, particularly those new door guns.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Liam, you have really outdone yourself with this one, just incredible! I can't wait to see it finished.
    thanks bbz going to start on the landing gear tomorrow and countermeasures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Sweet work - But you really need to think about the cockpit window placements. The pilot basically has no forward or downward visibility! (just like a child would have trouble seeing above the dashboard if they tried to drive a car) :)

There is no sideways visibility either... That thick panel completely blocks it.
    yeah no worries they are not needed, the cockpit will be fully digital basically there will we a 180% wrap around holoprojection of outside and the pilots helmet HUDS are directly linked to two dual cameras outside. This variant is a spec-ops one that operates at night anyway mostly anyway.
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    doesnt look like anything i saw in the movie..
    still good work tho, also i doubt any amount of geom cleaning can make the mesh "clean" as it is sketchup and ive personally moved on from SU for that reason alone.
    yeah if you read the thread at the start you would see its a variant of the normal samson. Basically it fills out the pave low / pave hawk role. Ive remodelled the tail section, given it wheels instead of skids, changed the cockpit and added a large sensor package. The dimensions are the same and the engines and rotors but apart from that its all pretty much mine.
    No you would be surprised SU can be clean too it just depends on the modeller I suppose. There is no reason you cant make good models in SU as long as you build them right? When I started years ago I didnt really understand what 'clean' meant and I sent a model to cavebear a year ago and he was th geometry is a mess. Ever since then ive taken extra care to make sure the model is as clean as possible and it cuts my file sizes down 60-70%!

However you are right Su cant compete with the other stuff at the end of the day, this time next year i hope to be as good with max or lightwave as I am with SU now. Ill always use SU but I think at the end of the day I have to move on. Loved your destiny model btw!
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    liam887 wrote: »
    yeah if you read the thread at the start you would see its a variant of the normal samson. Basically it fills out the pave low / pave hawk role. Ive remodelled the tail section, given it wheels instead of skids, changed the cockpit and added a large sensor package. The dimensions are the same and the engines and rotors but apart from that its all pretty much mine.
    No you would be surprised SU can be clean too it just depends on the modeller I suppose. There is no reason you cant make good models in SU as long as you build them right? When I started years ago I didnt really understand what 'clean' meant and I sent a model to cavebear a year ago and he was th geometry is a mess. Ever since then ive taken extra care to make sure the model is as clean as possible and it cuts my file sizes down 60-70%!

However you are right Su cant compete with the other stuff at the end of the day, this time next year i hope to be as good with max or lightwave as I am with SU now. Ill always use SU but I think at the end of the day I have to move on. Loved your destiny model btw!

lol sorry my bad went backed and browsed thru the thread :P

and yeah im well aware of what SU can do but i still think its far from clean and evn tho you can keep the mesh "clean" (in SU terms) once you export to other formats you end up with a almost unusable mess of a mesh here is the best i have done with SU and it really turned me off SU
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/060/e/b/Skyline_texture_wip1_2_by_AlxShipyards.jpg (rendered with LW)
    as the export was terrible gave me a ton of errors and more problems then id like also it trippled the polycount :mad:
    also i hadnt done any 3D at all 6months ago but i owe alot of my fast development to SU as its so easy to use and understand but ive come to the point where i cant stand it anymore so i just rescently (4-5 days ago) decided to dive head first into a new world of modeling with luxologys MODO 401, and previous to trying modo i have tried C4D, Lightwave, Maya and max but i was only confused by em as i was taught bu SU but MODO and me kinda clicked :) so if you are gonna go for a new program give MODO a go ;)

and Oh right my destiny i had totally forgot about that, thats another model i was very carful and clean in making but upon export it became nearly unusable as it tripples the polys and makes the geom borderline retarded :( however i might rebuild it in modo tho (the original show one was btw)
    anyway im glad ya liked it but we'll see what the future holds for me with modo :)

and keep up the good work ;)

/End Rant :P
    When I started years ago I didnt really understand what 'clean' meant and I sent a model to cavebear a year ago and he was th geometry is a mess. Ever since then ive taken extra care to make sure the model is as clean as possible and it cuts my file sizes down 60-70%!

Yeah, I remember that mesh :o. Still have the original and the one I cleaned up and boy what a difference cleaning it made. I think you had as much or possibly more stuff hidden inside the ship than outside!:flippy::lol: Your models are tons better now! Keep up the good work! Oh, and I still think SU is great for quick concept but omnipotent is right about importing SU meshes into other programs. Nightmare. I am looking forward to when you have moved on from SU completely for finished meshes. You are all ready better than SU should be able to do:thumb: I'm looking at Maya myself, delayed again as I had to send my wife to the Philippines while I was on a 2 month course so there goes my play money :(
    yeah I dabble with max and used to have lightwave but found it hard to get into maybe ill try again when I get some good training DVD's.
    Anyway as somebody posted earlier the cockpit was not in line with the glass canopy but as I said it didnt matter as there was a wrap around holographic projection, however as a redundancy measure it only makes sense for them to line up so ive raised the seats by a few feet to measure it up, also done some other bits and bobs and small details.
  • RAF-MXRAF-MX10 Posts: 0Member
    Just a thought ...
    It is the pianist who does the music, not the piano ..
    So it is not so important the program that you use, Your talent is the most important thing.
    I've worked with Max for some time, but I can tell... what you guys can do with the SU is absolutely impressive.
    Incredible work Liam...
    Gran trabajo amigo!!
    Liam, the raised cockpit is much better visually! Love it:thumb:
  • ChrisTOPherChrisTOPher0 Posts: 0Member
    hey Liam got any tuts you could pass along to a fellow artist? been trying to get my Glass and Armor textures down, not working in my favor.

btw this is looking fantastically accurate
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    some very cool work going on here.

this is really coming to life.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    You've definitely strayed from what I'm familiar with, but in a good way. Kudos man.
    hey Liam got any tuts you could pass along to a fellow artist? been trying to get my Glass and Armor textures down, not working in my favor.

btw this is looking fantastically accurate

bear in mind im using SU and rendering in kerk, ive got no textures as such at the moment they will come last. The canopy glass is 'thin glass' from the kerk basic materials pac the rest of the materials are SU native. The clay renders however I use a brown diffuser.

Well the model is mostly complete now, just need to etch in a few panel lines and a few minor details I would say its about 95% done soon ill be moving onto the textures unless I can get some good materials to use in kerk ill have to drop sorceress a line for some heads up lol. Anyway here it is so far:
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Are you planning on making the available for those of us using sketchup? I know that personally, I would love to be able to take a closer look at the model to see how everything is put together.

Again, great work by the way.
    its a bit big for sending, I want going to release it but when the model is finished I will break off a few parts in the 10MB range and send them to you. Mind you I think I could split it up into 'Interior' & 'Exterior' and it would be ok to send. I dont think the exterior could be any larger than 9MB however I could be wrong there is a lot of subdivision and smoothing on the surface?
    Anyway you use kerk dont you know of any good materials I could use for the main body?
    Hey Liam,

Looking very good.:) Only a couple or four crits for you: Wire cutters on the fans should probably be in the vertical and not horizontal positions otherwise they arn't going to cut anything. You should also look at making them moveable so that no matter what position the fans are in the cutters are verticle so they can do their jobs and protect the fan assembly.

Second crit: the open space on the tail looks like a prime place for having the skin of the aircraft blown off during high speed flight as the air gets rammed into that small area the pressure would pop the skin right off the frames. That is unless there is an exit for the air but I don't see one.

Third crit: now that you have raised the pilots, and by the way it looks great now, you should look at raising the lower edge of the bottom clear section to the foot level of the pilots. Right now all you are doing is looking into what would be the electronics bay on any aircraft of that type.

Forth crit: About the dual FLIR's though this crit has to do with the fact that each one is going to have limited vision (not talking about the refuel boom as you have said it will be retractable/extendable). As it stands they are side by side with a fairing sticking out between them. This will limit field of vision for the right hand FLIR to the left and the left hand FLIR to the right. No I suspect that the reason you have two FLIR's would be one for the pilot and one for a back seater working the electronics like an AESOP in Canada on the Sea Kings or the P3 Orion (Aurora in Canada) or an operator on an AWACS in the States. But if that is so then you might want to place the second FLIR for the back seaters underneath and behind the pilots FLIR so that the pilot has an uninterupted field of view.

Just saying ;)

Can't wait to see how it all turns out with textures and in a cool scene.

All the best,

Keith
    cavebear wrote: »
    Hey Liam,

Looking very good.:) Only a couple or four crits for you: Wire cutters on the fans should probably be in the vertical and not horizontal positions otherwise they arn't going to cut anything. You should also look at making them moveable so that no matter what position the fans are in the cutters are verticle so they can do their jobs and protect the fan assembly.

Second crit: the open space on the tail looks like a prim place for having the skin of the aircraft blown off during high speed flight as the air gets rammed into that small area the pressure would pop the skin right off the frames. That is unless there is an exit for the air but I don't see one.

Third crit: now that you have raised the pilots, and by the way it looks great now, you should look at raising the lower edge of the bottom clear section to the foot level of the pilots. Right now all you are doing is looking into what would be the electronics bay on any aircraft of that type.

Forth crit: About the dual FLIR's though this crit has to do with the fact that each one is going to have limited vision (not talking about the refuel boom as you have said it will be retractable/extendable). As it stands they are side by side with a fairing sticking out between them. This will limit field of vision for the right hand FLIR to the left and the left hand FLIR to the right. No I suspect that the reason you have two FLIR's would be one for the pilot and one for a back seater working the electronics like an AESOP in Canada on the Sea Kings or the P3 Orion (Aurora in Canada) or an operator on an AWACS in the States. But if that is so then you might want to place the second FLIR for the back seaters underneath and behind the pilots FLIR so that the pilot has an uninterupted field of view.

Just saying ;)

Can't wait to see how it all turns out with textures and in a cool scene.

All the best,

Keith

Hi thanks I know all of these need to finish them:
    1. Wire cutters are on pneumatic hinges, they are modelled but prob difficult to see on the renders as they are so small, they are in the 'relaxed' position right now as its landed gear down, they do extend to 90 degrees dont worry.
    2. the space in the tail is for some extra equipment not yet modelled, not sure what to put there yet any ideas?
    3. yeah I know im going to sort that out soon but the interior and exterior are in two different files I didnt realise till I rendered what I had done oops lol but rest assured I know its there and ill be onto it soon.
    4. yeah I know this has been bugging me also and your right about what they are for. I think im going to place the second one underneath the maun body and it retracts when the gear goes up and for the front one clear away the fairing and have it extended further out in front like the movie version of the one on the apache for example.

Dont worry I value your opinions and help thats why I post here you and casual observer always have some good crit to brink it back to reality. If you have any other gripes let me know, I was thinking of having a larger door Blackhawk style on one side and a smaller one as it has now on the other what do you think about that?
    Hi thanks I know all of these need to finish them:
    1. Wire cutters are on pneumatic hinges, they are modelled but prob difficult to see on the renders as they are so small, they are in the 'relaxed' position right now as its landed gear down, they do extend to 90 degrees dont worry.

That's great! yeah the pics detail is a little low but I'm glad you thought of it :)
    2. the space in the tail is for some extra equipment not yet modelled, not sure what to put there yet any ideas?

SDS (Self Defence Suite): Would contain the sensors and the futuristic version of chaffe and flares. Google it and you will find tons of images :)
    3. yeah I know im going to sort that out soon but the interior and exterior are in two different files I didnt realise till I rendered what I had done oops lol but rest assured I know its there and ill be onto it soon.

:thumb:
    4. yeah I know this has been bugging me also and your right about what they are for. I think im going to place the second one underneath the main body and it retracts when the gear goes up and for the front one clear away the fairing and have it extended further out in front like the movie version of the one on the apache for example.

Do you mean when the gear retracts the FLIR extends and when the gear lowers the FLIR retracts? That would be good :) I think you have a handle on it!:thumb:
    Dont worry I value your opinions and help thats why I post here you and casual observer always have some good crit to brink it back to reality. If you have any other gripes let me know, I was thinking of having a larger door Blackhawk style on one side and a smaller one as it has now on the other what do you think about that?

Yeah I agree. This craft is bigger by far than a Blackhawk with a larger carrying capacity so having the ability to exit the aircraft in a hurry (for the fighters) is a good thing. Means the aircraft will be exposed to hostile action for less time. Loading will go faster too. I like it!
    I already have a chaff type dispenser but yeah the two gaps could be for flares or the future equivalent maybe some sort of decoy drones?
    and yeah when it gets to a certain height form the ground the ball turret FLIR will deploy. From the cross sections you can see the bay for the nosewheel is huge so I can partition it and have half for the other sensor just design some funky retractable door system and it should be no problem.

I think now I have the model meshed out I may make a whole range of them, form a gunship troop carrier similar to the Hind, a civillian one, remove the whole troop bay and have a skycrane! the list goes on, I wont get ahead of myself until this is finished but if you can think of some good variants let me know also so I can prepare for it and maybe flesh out some new meshes.
    I already have a chaff type dispenser but yeah the two gaps could be for flares or the future equivalent maybe some sort of decoy drones?

Sweet idea! I like the idea of having a drone launcher system there! Just think how that could overwhelm the enemy on the battle field when it comes to eyes in the sky - eyes everywhere! Even drones that could be launched and help to scout out the ground situation before the trroops arrive on the ground :flippy::p
    and yeah when it gets to a certain height form the ground the ball turret FLIR will deploy. From the cross sections you can see the bay for the nosewheel is huge so I can partition it and have half for the other sensor just design some funky retractable door system and it should be no problem.

You arn't hurting for space on this aircraft, that's for sure. You actually have enough room under there for a few surprises :)
    I think now I have the model meshed out I may make a whole range of them, form a gunship troop carrier similar to the Hind, a civillian one, remove the whole troop bay and have a skycrane! the list goes on, I wont get ahead of myself until this is finished but if you can think of some good variants let me know also so I can prepare for it and maybe flesh out some new meshes.

Good idea. Just like the blackhawk is used in S&R, medivac (civilian) and coast guard duties in the states. I would definitly want a medivac version.

I was involved in an incident back in the mid 80's were we didn't have a suitable medivac helo after a mortor accident in CFB Gagetown. They used a regular twin huey to evac the wounded. Could have used an american helo that was all ready equiped and on station but some dick head made a bad decision for a bad reason.

Any way I digress. Have an aircraft set up with a futuristic MAD boom to detect anomolies. Could use it in the mining industry to help locate large deposits of whatever you want.

A police variant;
    A fire fighter variant (google Japanese fire fighting helicopters. They actually will hover at the burning floor and spray in fire fighting foam :) );
    There are probably more but I would really have to take some time at think about it :)
    haha nice! a police one would be cool with one of those microwave pain beam crowd control weapons on the side lol!
    Heh, that would be good <insert evil grin here>
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    a riot control variant, with water guns, tear gas bombs, net throwers, protective grids in front of the windows and huge spotlights.

oh yes :D