Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Samson - Avatar

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Vey cool stuff. I love what you done with the hanger and can't wait to see it finished.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    thanks everyone, and omnipotent I have 3dsmax and can use it but it takes me a while you see and im not as good at it as I am with SU thats why Ive hung in with it as I can do a lot with it now.

The hanger will be finished soon, ive been rendering it in kerk but I think im going to import it into 3ds max ;ater this week an try and render it in vray instead. The lighting in kerk just aint doing it for me. Also the scene is now nearlly at 1,000,000 polys, mainly due to the fact I have 5 helicopters in the scene I think I need to construct a low poly one for the background instead of using my full models.
    Im pretty pleased overall that ive managed to do all this in Sketchup. When I first started I never thought SU could even produce models like this.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    One question about flight render. Have you rendered it over the background image, or with spherical sky? If it was background image - how you managed to make "atmospheric" soft lights? If it was the spherical sky - what was the resolution of sky texture?
    the resolution of the sky texture was 1323 × 864 but its not a kerk render I did it all in photoshop.
    The helicopter in the foreground was a render and the the background just from SU itself. this was only a 15 min job while i was waiting for something else to render but i liked it so posted it up.
    82931.jpg
    I see :) Well, PS, simply isn`t my thing, so, still looking for spherical texture. At least as a template. Any way, very good picture and quite amasing model you`ve made!
    some more work on the scene itself:

NOTE: The aircraft on the carrier elevator is much smaller than it should be compared with the scene, really it should only fit on the elevator with wings folder and tail folder but just for effect I wanted an unfolder aircraft in the scene. You can notice the scale issue in the first pic if you look at the steps behind it. Also in the second image ive removed a section of the body so you can see inside this is not what the actual model looks like it has doors.
    83029.jpg83030.jpg83031.jpg83032.jpg
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771259 PNWPosts: 756Member
    Some rockin' mesh work here. Will you populate the final scene as well?
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    It took me a minute to figure out what was up with that third pic, then I realized I was looking at the ceiling flipped open like a lid on a box. That's a bloody brilliant way to model the inside of a room and at the same time give people a good view of the open room and detailed ceiling. I'll have to remember that trick.

It's really coming along. It's going to be a nice scene I think.
    @lizzy777
    yeah going to be very busy in that hanger dont know weather the figures will be geometry or added afterwards in PP, probably the latter
    @ jimi james
    it was the only way I could make a render really showing the whole room
    Some very Cool Stuff MAte
  • star_creationsstar_creations0 Posts: 0Member
    I wish I was this good at 3D Art.....
    Mate dont be put off everybody started somewhere this was my first go at scifi a few years back: Supposed to be some houses on mars or something took me 'days' was so proud of it lol.

On another note flights booked Google Sketchup Colorado here I come!
    83043.jpg
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool work!

Oh and I wish I had pictures of my early stuff...wait no I don't, I'm actually pretty glad all that was before the crash of '06 :p
    Did a bit more work on the samson but have also been working on its larger big brother, bridging the gap between the samson and dragon from the movie
    83496.jpg
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Cannot wait to see that!
    Great work my friend.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Ohhh, prettey!
    thought I would paint up in photoshop ill carry on with the model soon!
    83526.jpg
    We are using the same models of peoples in our work :D I`ve used the "shuttle pilot" and parts from other models from the same collection to make my "stock pilot" :) Anyway, looking great. Ski-fi and agressive. Nose design reminds me the vehicles of Mass Effect universe. Maybe too hightech for "Avatar", but who cares?
    haha yes I think everybody using SU for scifi scenes uses max grueters characters lol!
    Yeah I wanted to make a more aggressive looking vehicle than those seen in the films. It doesn't have any weapons yet I may not have any on it whatsoever and have it as a surveillance aircraft or electronic warfare not sure yet. Originally it had a chin mounted cannon but I decided it looked better with it removed. I think its going to have a dual autocannon in the tail like the old WW2 bombers and call it a hornet or wasp?
    mm... And what about belly-mounted cannon? I mean something like on those hunter-killers from "Terminator". With turret close to the tail and barrel running under the copter, sort of like hornet`s sting.
    yeah I will look into that
    I am liking the look of "Big Brother"
    yeah ill finish it soon, taking a break while i finish my marine tumbler, still very much a wip, and i know there is some segmentation on the rim for the front tyres i didn't notice until i had already rendered.
    83622.jpg
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Nice render of the Tumbler,thanks.
    yeah thanks its taken less than a week to build.
    I haven't tackled the suspension or the engine section yet im doing some renders from the front to sort out what materials are best. At the moment im trying to create a garage scene to house the model, toyed with idea of having a remote turret on the roof but it just didn't look right, still going to add some smoke dischargers.

The reason it turned into a marine tumbler instead of a batman one was that I couldn't find any 100% accurate plans, I created this with a combination or blueprints, a SU model from the 3D warehouse, a tumbler model from google in 3ds so I could work out how the axels and suspension worked and then a series of google images. By the time I figured out how it went together I had already worked out the cammo pattern so decided to keep it as a marine vehicle.
    Bit more on the avatar project, from the same universe a different class of ship, its not interstellar. Still very much a WIP. Obv influences from sunshine and avatar of course.
    83851.jpg
    Very cool.

you thought about doing a space station? Thats the one thing that bugged me about Avatar. For a mine faciltiy on a different planet, they did not have a Space station in orbit. It make sence to have one to unload gear that is arriving form Earth and to reload the ship with ore and people going back.

It most also a lot safer than doing it to a ship that just in orbit.
    Wow cant believe I have been working on the samson and two variants for a year exactly now!
    With one model complete and now closing on the second time for some more shots of the search and rescue version...
    86470.jpg86471.jpg86472.jpg86473.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    A year all ready?! Looking very good:thumb:
    Yeah time flies when your having fun I guess! But yes a year I can hardly believe it either I bought the art book for Avatar in the boxing day sales last year so its basically exactly a year give or take a week.
    86481.jpg