Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Samson - Avatar

• Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    liam887 wrote: »
    its a bit big for sending, I want going to release it but when the model is finished I will break off a few parts in the 10MB range and send them to you. Mind you I think I could split it up into 'Interior' & 'Exterior' and it would be ok to send. I dont think the exterior could be any larger than 9MB however I could be wrong there is a lot of subdivision and smoothing on the surface?
    Anyway you use kerk dont you know of any good materials I could use for the main body?

Ok, cool. And thanks. Unfortunately I haven't really used Kerk enough yet to suggest any materials to use. The materials I've used so far have been applied in Sketckup itself, with mixed results.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Added a large door to the left hand side of the chopper still got a few things to sort out nearly at the textures materials stage woo hoo!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I have to say this is looking pritty dam cool!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    hey there, someone said to me you might be joining year 2238 production? its quite funny, because they showed me this model to show what work you have done .. but i already saw it here..lol
  • t-castt-cast331 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful model - really like the Spec-Ops re-imaging.
    year 2238 production, no what is this?
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Hahaha!
    prelusion wrote: »
    hey there, someone said to me you might be joining year 2238 production? its quite funny, because they showed me this model to show what work you have done .. but i already saw it here..lol

haha yeah somebody had asked me to do some work for them a while ago which im thinking about, they just sent me a link for the website and low and behold it is 'year 2238 productions' lol. I didnt know anything about it until now, but yeah it is true I may do some freelance work for them been away all weekend so will speak to one of the top brass next week and see whats going on!
    well this thread aint dead yet, barely done any work on it since the last update and going away to Latvia till next week so more work then!

However I was bumping this up as ive given all my 3D files and resources to another modeller via dropbox and they are stripping my model down to a much lower poly and integrating it into 'Microsoft Flight Simulator', how cool is that? Cant wait to fly this thing around! I will tell them to post any updates in this thread while I am away.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Well, as Liam was saying, I am taking this apart and putting it back together for MSFS!

It's gonna be a long(ish) process, mainly because I want to go over each part in the scene and remove unnecessary polys by creating new parts over the old, effectively "tracing" the original but with a much lower poly count. In the two shots I attached, you can see the difference (sort of). The first is his original front gear, and the second is mine. The original has 7724 polys and mine has 4188. Quite a large difference, with very little detail being lost. I'll probably remove a bit more (most likely from those pesky tubes running the length of the main strut) and then get down to the grit of the main body.

I'll keep ya'll updated!
    80203.jpg80204.jpg
    Okay, here's another shot from the gear. I started keeping track of how many polys I've deleted or fixed, and I have so far shed 3/4 of the polys from the gear. Unfortunately, I'll have to add in more because the gear doesn't attach to the interior of the gearbays or even come up past the outer hull. So there will be more polys added.

I'm projecting the finished product to contain around 40-50 thousand polygons, which isn't overly heavy for a full aircraft, but that's with an interior and stuff added to it. Obviously I'm gonna have to get creative on what I'm removing . . .
    80295.jpg
    looks good! just got back from holiday so in a few days ill post my updated model which is nearly finished, added all the decals which was a long a tedious task but looks much better now, pictures to follow soon
    Look forward to seeing it.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    you build your lp model directly into gmax ?
    i'd use topogun i think... or at least 3dcoat.
    L2K wrote: »
    you build your lp model directly into gmax ?
    i'd use topogun i think... or at least 3dcoat.

Could you explain that? What are "topgun" and "3dcoat"?
    http://www.3d-coat.com/
    not sure about topgun perhaps its a 3d-FS package?
    been very busy and wiped computer, dont worry had everything backed up! Running windows now nt MAC OS not going to dive back in straight away with this going to practice with a VTOL gunship inspired from the video game 'crysis'. Here is the work so far:
    Needs some smoothing but havent got round to installing any of the SU plugins yet.
    last update of the day.
    Well that sure looks intresting.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Was the VTOL from Final Fantasy the sourse of inspiration (see attachement)? The "hunchback" design of the fuselage looks quite similar. Any way, the level of details looks amazing. Splendid work so far.
    82173.jpg
    No it wasnt not for me but I have a feeling it did inspire the crysis design team!
    The 'copperhead' from that final fantasy movie has been one of my favorite designs for years always wanted to have a go at it but just have never found many reference images.
    here are some updates anyway:
    82178.jpg82179.jpg
    I always liked the ship from the FF film too. though did not like the buggy thing that went inside though.
    yeah the buggy was awful lol, the spaceship they had was epic also!
    Cleaned up a lot of the model, geometry in SU is a pain!
    Here is the model without an interior (just to save on poly count while i work on some materials for the outside)
    Anyway need to work out the materials in kerk and try and get a good one for the main body of the chopper if anybody has any input or technical know how on this subject let me know!
    82881.jpg
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    haven't been here for a while and looks like I've missed out, nice work! The gunship is a kind of too boxy, but damn the other stuff is amazing
    yeah it was a WIP hadnt got round to rounding it out but lost the file in a HD crash. Concentrating on the avatar model for now just working on a scene for it right now.
    82886.jpg
    well roughed out the scene for the final render just trying to get an angle on a good render then ill detail only the areas that will be in the final render to save on polys and render time.
    82895.jpg82896.jpg82897.jpg
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    The Samson is really looking good, and I like the detail you've included in the hangar. I like the third shot in that it gives you a great view of the Samson, but you lose a lot of the hangar, making it feel smaller then it really is and not showing a lot of the work you've put into it. On the other hand, the fist two shots both show off the size and detail of the hangar, but don't offer an as impressive shot of the Samson as the third pic.

Personally, I think somewhere between the first and second pic might be the best angle, if you can get a clear shot of at least one Samson, while still showing that more then one is present in the hangar, and still showing off the size and detail of the hangar itself. I suppose it depends largely upon whether you even want to showcase the hangar at the same level as the Samson. Is it just a setting for the more impressive Samson model, or something you want to people to notice and pay attention to.
    yeah im not too fussed about the hanger im just working on the lighting then when thats done ill figure out where the helicopter will go. Thinking of having it open and people working on it. Just need to work on the lighting then the materials then ill figure out were its going to go.
    Just did this while im waiting for my fist lighting test render:
    82918.jpg
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    Cleaned up a lot of the model, geometry in SU is a pain!
    Here is the model without an interior (just to save on poly count while i work on some materials for the outside)
    Anyway need to work out the materials in kerk and try and get a good one for the main body of the chopper if anybody has any input or technical know how on this subject let me know!
    Lol indeed one of the definite drawbacks of SU borderline unusable meshes due to overly complex geometry :P
    looks very good tho!
    yeah im not too fussed about the hanger im just working on the lighting then when thats done ill figure out where the helicopter will go. Thinking of having it open and people working on it. Just need to work on the lighting then the materials then ill figure out were its going to go.
    Just did this while im waiting for my fist lighting test render:

Simple yet effective :P nice work ;)
    man you should really try to get away from SU and go full time on one of the bigger badder better softwares as im positive that SU is only limiting you at this point as it really was limiting me when i was still using it as evident by my lightyear leap in skill over the last few weeks ;)

Now show us more pretty scenery :P