Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DA Bold New Venture

• EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm...I'm not such a huge fan of those cutouts on the primary hull, or that flare on the superstructure aft of the bridge. Those really serve to beak up her lines. However, it's a beautiful design otherwise, quite nicely balanced.
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    it was designed that way deliberately to give it sort of a fast battleship feel
  • Capt.HunterCapt.Hunter331 Posts: 71Member
    Hmmm the shield layout does that indicate that Starfleet in your time has gone away from the shield bubble effect and back to close to the skin of the hull?
  • madeinjapan1988madeinjapan19880 Posts: 0Member
    Endeavour wrote: »
    Hmm...I'm not such a huge fan of those cutouts on the primary hull, or that flare on the superstructure aft of the bridge. Those really serve to beak up her lines. However, it's a beautiful design otherwise, quite nicely balanced.

On the contrary, it serves to highlight her lines. The ship's design is all about forward motion from the side. The top view lacks any indicator of that motion with regards to the saucer area - consequently the cutouts and the impulse array help. Also its placement keeps means it doesn't interrupt the flow from the saucer to the nacelle.

Opinions are opinions though but I designed that element with the flow of the ship in mind.
    Hmmm the shield layout does that indicate that Starfleet in your time has gone away from the shield bubble effect and back to close to the skin of the hull?

Yup. I'm personally more of a fan of that look. Mind you this sort of shielding wouldn't look like the one in the movie (like it wasn't there and the hull was constantly exploding) - I envision it with more of the bubble shield texture and effect but simply hugging close to the hull.
    How does breaking up lines highlight them? That seems rather contrary.

At any rate, a taper to the superstructure would lend itself to the sense of forward motion you're trying to achieve with this ship much better than the flare you've got now. Just a thought.
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    I like the overall design, but there's a few points I see. The main thing is the size of the secondary hull. I think you could widen it just a little bit. I know you're going for the JJ-ish design with a HUGE primary hull and a relatively small secondary hull, but I've always prefered the proportions of the 1701-A where the secondary hull is a bit larger.

Also, I think the 2 planned dorsal phaser strips on the secondary hull could probably be condensed to 1 and maintain the same coverage.

I DO like the second battery of phasers near the bridge, although I personally would have moved them just ever-so farther out (maybe just outboard of that hull line it's above). I hope to see an updated side profile to include them.
    Endeavour wrote: »
    How does breaking up lines highlight them? That seems rather contrary.

At any rate, a taper to the superstructure would lend itself to the sense of forward motion you're trying to achieve with this ship much better than the flare you've got now. Just a thought.

It isn't breaking up lines. Its using protrusions and separations to highlight an axis or an element. Below are just two examples of where this same technique has been used.

-Excelsior (same exact place as on Venture)
    -Sovereign(Impulse Elements, shuttlebay, etc - all used to imply forward motion and all "breaking up her lines" from the top view)

Furthermore as I said before it doesn't mess with the lines as they travel from her saucer to the engines, your eyes still make the jump.

At the end of the day what this boils down to though isn't anything of better or worse design but simply a matter of opinion which we don't agree on. You feel it breaks it up and I feel it doesn't. Though I do appreciate the discussion and the viewpoint I personally am extremely happy with how the impulse flare looks.
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    they had the skin shields in Nemesis
    Oh, I know. I'm sure you understand there's no maliciousness at all in my posts, I'm just curious. All that really matters is that you're happy with your design, we spectators be damned. :)

Edit: I just realized one thing. I think you may be confusing what I mean by "superstructure" to be the impulse engines, yes? Please correct me if I'm wrong on that point. But at any rate, when I say superstructure I mean deck 2, although it slopes downward toward the impulse engines and doesn't stay as deck 2. Anyway, I love the impulse design, the whole Excelsior throwback you've got going there. I meant the section with the dark grey paneling on the sides. That's the flare I was talking about. It looks kind of like the shuttle bay on the Galaxy. That's the section that I think would look better as either tapered or just straight, rather than flared out.
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    I've seen your other stuffs here, madeinjapan, but this shape is the most beautiful one. I think it's a very believable evolution of the Enterprise 2009's design.
    Another Update. Getting more detailing worked out/translated to this view. Also tweaking engine length and placement from the top view.

Venture_Class_View_2_WIP_2_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    I really like the new proportions. I anxiously await the next update. :cool:
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that's really cool design - it looks really futuristic and graceful ! :thumb:
    BTW there's a 1-pixel-wide gap in the shields at the rear of the ship :rolleyes:
    Been thinking about the dorsal view and I have a suggestion. Rather than have the two forward banks of three turrets, why not set them up in 5 pairs, much like the phasers on the Excelsior class?
    Update to the top view: About 75% complete.

Venture_Class_View_2_WIP_3_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    Lookin' good. Really good.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

ps- tried to send you a PM, but your box seems to be full.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Man love this!!!! madeinjapan1988 your very good!! Love all your stuff!!!
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    This continues to look awesome!
  • Completed Dorsal View:

Venture_Class_Dorsal_View_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • MihoshiMihoshi0 Posts: 0Member
    Completed Dorsal View:

-SNIP-

I have to ask. We see the three smaller phaser banks on the dorsal view, but they're not present on the side view. Is that going to be amended?
  • Mihoshi wrote: »
    I have to ask. We see the three smaller phaser banks on the dorsal view, but they're not present on the side view. Is that going to be amended?

Its already amended on Deviant Art. Go look at final side view post. I'll put it here soon.
    Looks great. I can't tell you how much I like this particular design.

Looking forward to the fore and ventral (?) views.
  • Bow View Work In Progress

Venture_Class_View_3_WIP_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Beautiful!

The area around the deflector looks like a huge, cute smiley-face in that view ;)
    Awesome work! :thumb:

I think I like the Venture better than the Perception.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    This looks awesome!
    Lookin' real good. :cool:
  • madmacsmadmacs0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work Josh. :thumb::thumb:

The concept design and thought put into this Venture-Class is absolutely great!! Your design from what I have read, in your technical discussion, surely does exceed the Perception, as you say. Aesthetically though, I think your, design parallels too close of that of the Perception. Yes, I can discern the secondary from primary better, but like you said you .. to form a triangle for better drive performance. But for me that is the main difference from a distance. I guess as a FAN of yours, (I hope you consider), I was looking for something physically different in the design, .. a WOW factor, the next major vessel look.

Anyway, a couple of questions;
    Is hull separation is any of your thoughts?
    I do not see thrusters, as part of this preliminary design. Any thoughts.
  • madmacs wrote: »
    Very nice work Josh. :thumb::thumb:

The concept design and thought put into this Venture-Class is absolutely great!! Your design from what I have read, in your technical discussion, surely does exceed the Perception, as you say. Aesthetically though, I think your, design parallels too close of that of the Perception. Yes, I can discern the secondary from primary better, but like you said you .. to form a triangle for better drive performance. But for me that is the main difference from a distance. I guess as a FAN of yours, (I hope you consider), I was looking for something physically different in the design, .. a WOW factor, the next major vessel look.

Anyway, a couple of questions;
    Is hull separation is any of your thoughts?
    I do not see thrusters, as part of this preliminary design. Any thoughts.

I really honestly don't see how they parallel each other so much Madmacs. These designs are radically different. As for the next "major" vessel. There won't be one - at least not any time soon. I leave for OCS next summer and it will likely take me that long to finish existing projects. Sad to say but I think this design is sufficiently different. I figured this design was "WOW" enough.

Hull Separation - Yes
    Thrusters - have settled on a design or if I want to use a diff. tech
  • japmejapme12 Posts: 0Member
    Congrats on OCS, which branch are you?

I'm tempted to try my hand at another of your ships... this one especially