Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DA Bold New Venture

madeinjapan1988madeinjapan19880 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
It's been a while folks! So first off *wave*

I hope everyone has been doing well. For those of you on DeviantArt who follow me, you know what I've been up to. Plugging away at the JJ Perception. Well, a couple nights ago - fueled by caffeine, sleep deprivation, and sheer spite of myself - I began sketching ships. At about 3am, I stumbled upon a little gem of a design. I really liked it and scanned it into my computer for safe keeping. Today I got a chance to start working on her.

I wanted to create a ship that would replace Perception. I figured much like the Ambassador-Galaxy-Sovereign lineage (rapid development of new design as soon as the next one is out the door), the Perception would soon be replaced by a newer, bigger, faster, and more advanced starship. Toying around with ideas with know necks (that is the blended body that we see in the Sovy and the Intrepid), I realized that part of me wanted the neck back. Consequently I started sketching those and came up with what you see above.

Her and the Perception share some elements - going for that whole lineage thing again - but at the same time are quite different. This ship sits about about 1250m. (so about the same size of Perception's 1225m) However, she has 33 decks to Perception's 26, giving her a hair more internal volume.

I hope you enjoy the WIP shot. C&C appreciated.

A_New_Venture_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
73641.jpg
Post edited by madeinjapan1988 on
Tagged:

• ghanimaghanima331 Posts: 0Member
    I love it!! This is simply an amazing start! I think the shape and design is fantastic - much better than all those 'flat', and super sleek designs most people come up with these days. This has depth and character, and is nice homage to the connie. The only nitpick is the length of the registry number... could never fathom the need for excessively long reg numbers. But that has nothing to do with the design.

SOOO look forward to seeing this one along.

BTW i thought the Perception was wicked stuff too!
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful work, as usual. :thumb:
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    i like it a lot. I'll be keeping my eye on this one :)
  • GalenGalen0 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing work dude. perhaps its time to plan the next ship after legacy
  • onealoneal0 Posts: 0Member
    Holy Crap! Thats HOT! Great work on all your designs.
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    you just dont stop!

I would still like to see the Nebula version of the Preception
    can we see the original art? I was reading your DA stuff and i perosnally think the Nacelles are perfect
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Nice!
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    That's a big ship and a very nice start.
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    Just out of curiosity, what font do you use?
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    ...you never cease to amaze me. The Venture-class Starship...and you made this beauty up? ....absolutly amazing. :)
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    wow, that's a wonderful ship! :D
  • [Irishman][Irishman]177 Posts: 117Member
    Usually fan ships are out of balance in one sense or another.

This one is different. I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I don't think I'd add many more details at all, unless you're going for that JJ level of detail.
  • DmitriDmitri331 Posts: 0Member
    Wow. She's looking pretty freaking fantastic. You have some serious skills with this 2d stuff- it's very clear, good lines, and rather detailed. Cheers!
  • IgorIgor0 Posts: 0Member
    I think that if other artists look upon this ship as a testbed for new technology, such as how the Excelsior was a testbed for transwarp drive, we could create a backstory that the project was successful - and immediately start work on other ships utilizing the new configuration standards!
  • madeinjapan1988madeinjapan19880 Posts: 0Member
    First off all, thank you for the very very positive responses. I'm glad everyone likes the design as much as I do! I feel she is a nice step above the Perception in terms of balance and elegance and I myself was starting to get frustrated with the feel of the ships with no necks. Felt time to bring em back.

Look forward to posting more updates as the project progresses and getting feedback from you all. You all continue to be both a source of inspiration, great discussion, and great commentary (if frustrating for an artist at times! :D)
    Just out of curiosity, what font do you use?

I use Korataki. Its a commercially available font (cost me 39.95 for the 5) that was used in the new movie.

[Irishman] wrote: »
    Usually fan ships are out of balance in one sense or another.

This one is different. I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I don't think I'd add many more details at all, unless you're going for that JJ level of detail.

I am going for the JJ level. There will be lots of details and lighting and such as with my other designs.
    Igor wrote: »
    I think that if other artists look upon this ship as a testbed for new technology, such as how the Excelsior was a testbed for transwarp drive, we could create a backstory that the project was successful - and immediately start work on other ships utilizing the new configuration standards!

Well actually, I came up with a reason. With perception, I had in the tech manual that both the warp nacelles and the deflector are used in slipstream propulsion. With this configuration (the engineering hull slung under more) the engines and the deflector now make an equilateral triangle meaning all 3 of the projecting elements for the Slipstream drive are equidistant meaning you boost slipstream efficiency by 45.3%. consequently future ships of my design will have equidistant nacelle deflector configs.

Actually though - the testbed was more the Perception which was the first ship in my timeline to use slipstream on a mainstream level.
  • Kronos 1Kronos 10 Posts: 0Member
    Now that is majestic; you are knocking these designs out of the park again and again. Looking forward to more of your work.

Hmm, what ever happened to your jj-e refit?
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Have to agree with everyone here, a very interesting and promising start and certainly another project to look forward too. Also looking forward (hoping) to seeing you add additional details like shuttles etc.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great ship
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    wow verry cool give us more
    Thanks again all for the positive feedback. It has meant a lot. Here is an update for you all. C&C appreciated as always. Going for a new Texturing technique on this one that I feel is far more solid feeling. Hope you all enjoy.

-Josh

Venture_Class_View_1_WIP_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    is there anyway you can post a higher pixel version so we can see really close up like the preception class? So does this ship have the fighter carrying capabilities the Preception had? also how many units are you thinking for this class?
  • RekkertRekkert4046 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,304Member
    Nice! I love that paneling effect.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    is there anyway you can post a higher pixel version so we can see really close up like the preception class? So does this ship have the fighter carrying capabilities the Preception had? also how many units are you thinking for this class?

She does have the fighter carrying capability and probably only 20 ships.

I'll probably wait for the higher pixel versions till I am done with each view.
    that makes sence. you mentioned some new technology and i was wondering what else you had in mind.
    Just in my opinion it looks like this ship should have less of a carrier focus then the precetption does.
  • HawksHawks0 Posts: 0Member
    Very good design. Any chance that there will be a full color Top Side few anytime soon?
  • Capt.HunterCapt.Hunter331 Posts: 71Member
    I like the direction so far. It does make me wonder how high in the digits Starfleet would actually go in their registries before deciding on resetting them or doing something else.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very nice!
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Now that is what the Sovereign should have looked like! I always felt that getting rid of the neck on Starfleet designs destroyed some of the stately grace the older ships had.

I look forward to seeing further views, this is a beautiful design.

And I realize this is the wrong thread, but what's the status of the Perception?