Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DIcarus Ancient Military Science Ship

124»

• -.--.-0 Posts: 0Member
    y'all here a small concept .... improvisation xD i'm thinking on making it more improvised, and not too symmetrical

way.jpg
    way3.jpg
    way2.jpg
  • Icon1Icon1331 Posts: 0Member
    Kinda looks like the ship from Dead Space.
    hi all... sorry for having forgotten this thread, but I had some really serious personal problems. Also, my computer crashed in January 2010 and i've only had an 800 mhz ****ed up AMD laptop since then and i can't work on it, so I'm trying to mount an i5, but I'm a bit short of money ... so... As I can resume work, I will continue posting updates. sorry for having left.
  • walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    subscrib'ed
    hi, i'm here again working on the ship. it's been a long time, but i finally got new pc and with some luck a job, and now i will continue working on the ship.

made some modifications on the structure of the ship
    2-1.jpg

my ship compared to the daedalus, i'v remodeled the cannons too.
    3-1.jpg

Residential area, ok it's not. this are the crew quarters. i know, its a bit exagerated, but it's a big ship, practicaly, it's a big moving station. i wanted to call it city, but it's alot bigger than atlantis, so...
    1-2.jpg

and i think this will be the engines core
    5-1.jpg
  • Kalic-VadekKalic-Vadek0 Posts: 0Member
    That "hangar" in the Center of the ship, looks like an Runway for Daedalus's.

Great Work on her So far.
    yeah.. it's kinda coneptual right now, cuz i don't like it very much, but yeah, will be some kind of big ships hangar with a big energy shield shielding the entrance...
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    lil to big imo
  • Kalic-VadekKalic-Vadek0 Posts: 0Member
    There no such thing as to big, In Space!
  • PheonixPheonix1 Posts: 0Member
    great to have you back, dude! love the new WHIP's. and is it just me, or are you starting to incorporate some of the aesthetics from the Destiny?
    colbmista, is certainly a very big ship. but as I started so, it makes no sense to change the scale now, besides I have not seen around here any ship of this size.

and pheonix, certainly I have tried to add to my ship a little aspects of destiny, I'm a little out of ideas on how to make the nose of the ship, so i've tried to do it like the destiny one but does not quite convince me, seems a bit out of place (it was in this one) so I removed it
    3-1.jpg

and here a small update, a few details, I have put crew quarters, laboratories and other things. this does not remain so, I will make many more variations of bits and pieces, also drone bays with defense cannons so that no one can sneak into the ship
    6.jpg
  • viper01870viper018700 Posts: 0Member
    hmmm i wounder if a ship more like this one if the sgu show would have done better.....................thank about it
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    the sgu ship was awsome it was all the drama that ruined the show
    the destiny it's a nice ship, and personally, i liked the drama. the series went down because of the scripts of the episodes, since most were pulled from stargate sg1, atlantis and other SCI-FI series, so they had an original idea, but fell short to continue and they began adapting scripts from stargate sg1. Most of them time travel with unstable wormhole traversing the sun's corona mass emissions ... we have seen all of that a thousand times. sorry for SGU i liked it, specially the last episodes when they find their own human race but story has been too rushed (rush - rusha xD) , still had much potential.

and here another small update, i made one launch bay, it ended looking like the ones on the daedalus (don't know why) also i'v found a good place for cannons, protecting the shipyard and also can atack laterally like the old gunship boats
    7.jpg
    bay.jpg
    turrets.jpg
    opened to opinions and CryTics.
  • Randy TjangRandy Tjang0 Posts: 0Member
    -.- wrote: »
    the destiny it's a nice ship, and personally, i liked the drama. the series went down because of the scripts of the episodes, since most were pulled from stargate sg1, atlantis and other SCI-FI series, so they had an original idea, but fell short to continue and they began adapting scripts from stargate sg1. Most of them time travel with unstable wormhole traversing the sun's corona mass emissions ... we have seen all of that a thousand times. sorry for SGU i liked it, specially the last episodes when they find their own human race but story has been too rushed (rush - rusha xD) , still had much potential.

and here another small update, i made one launch bay, it ended looking like the ones on the daedalus (don't know why) also i'v found a good place for cannons, protecting the shipyard and also can atack laterally like the old gunship boats
    7.jpg
    bay.jpg
    turrets.jpg
    opened to opinions and CryTics.
    Looks great but the cannons don't fit into the feel of the rest of the ship. They look as if they came from Destiny (which is from a completely different era within Stargate mythology to what this ships looks like it's from).
    man, i was pretty proud of that cannons. and i don't think they look very much like the ones on the destiny.
    Destiny_Pulse_Cannons.JPG
    sgu_106_0375.jpg

but, i'm trying to make another ones modifying the originals, still got problems with their mobility, since they were intended to be static

cannon.jpg
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Might i suggest if your going to do Ball turrets that you just have the barrels sticking out and nothing else so that they have a much larger range of motion as well as covering arcs.... I may have missed this but what is the over all dimensions of this ship????

Great work on the details so far i think the bay works with the style the anchients had...
  • PheonixPheonix1 Posts: 0Member
    out of curiosity, do we ever see the actual entrance to a landing bay on an Ancient ship? and not counting the primary Jumper bay on Atlantis either.
    fluxfire, what about this, i think they look more "ancienty" and have a huge amount of freedom, as they can shoot two target at the time
    turrets2-1.jpg
    turrets3.jpg

and here is the size of the ship, until now, 18km, the size of 31 dedalus ships. mind the ship isn't finished.
    scale.jpg

now that you say it, pheonix i've never seen any ancient launching bay, even on the orion or aurora
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    About the turrets, the whole point of a ball turret is so its arc of fire can cover all angles, your turrets look to be poking through gaps in plates or recessed between objects. If thats the case I would get rig of the ball mounts and have something else?
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    While that second design does look more Ancheint in origin its way to big and cumbersome for that small space....Instead of a ball turret why not take one of those guns from that lates design and have it sitting inbetween to pylons that the gun sits inbetween and then the gun its self will move up and down and the pylons will be the part that rotates this way you have a large range of motion and you can still use part of that last design....

I recall an earlier comment that there aren't any ships as big as this.... Not true the SW thread fractal has going has ships this large...... My project thread i have going with my city ship is bigger then this as well... Granted i haven't done much work on it in a long while :p
    sorry for not posting again, i was a bit busy, and i also got stuck with 3ds max 2011... too many polygons and the software uses only 1 core and almost no graphic card so it's just a piece of ****.... god, i have 8 gb 1600mhz ram and 4cores 3,2 ghz amd 955 up to 4 ghz with oc 2 hd 5850 in crossfire and 3ds max just runs like ****, it don't use more than 1,7gb of ram and just 1 core and it seems that it uses the cpu tu render the viewports too, cause everytime i move in the viewport the first core goes at top and the rest of cpu/gpu it's almost sleeping. it's kinda hellish working this way, as i want to make a lot of details.

the scene till now it has 5009 objects and 2 133 851 faces more or less

I will wait until i get 2012 and then I will continue to work on it.
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    Given the positioning of the turrets, I don't see their point. They would make more sense in another position, perhaps along the sides, on towers so they clear the sails. That way, you don't need nearly so many, maybe four or six. Then you can have two at the beginning and end of the sail run on the top.

arcs.png
    Given the positioning of the turrets, I don't see their point. They would make more sense in another position, perhaps along the sides, on towers so they clear the sails. That way, you don't need nearly so many, maybe four or six. Then you can have two at the beginning and end of the sail run on the top.

arcs.png

God, how dumb am i? I thought it was a picture of pacman you had in your signature... LOL even so, good idea but... i was going almost that way without noticing the picture. still, noticing the picture improved my idea...

here it is
    asd.jpg

and an update
    asd2.jpg

seem that something hapened with my scenes when i backuped the pc... i had to delete several meshes from the body and the bits because were deformed or were missing parts in wireframe, tried to repair it but nothing... same problem in 3ds max 2011 and 2012
    asd3.jpg