Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dmy bsg animation

• markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Just quickly comped elements of a shot together, thought id upload it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hey mark,

My WIP has been dead for a while since I'm waiting to buy a new workstation and a render farm before I continue working. I was getting no where rendering at 10 min per frame.

Btw, that comp looks amazing? I have not gotten around to learning how to do explosions and tracer fire yet, did you do those in the 3D app or in a post 2D compositing app?
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    Wow, it looks like a great battle has started. I haven't been able to check this forum in quite some time, but I always try to check this topic.
    I like the latest video, the first part made me think about what was the fleet doing just before the rebel Basestar poped-up.
    Keep it up!
    I undersatnd totaly Adalla, luckily im using works render farm to render on, a couple of seconds beats the hell out 10 minutes a frame which is what galactica takes to render on my laptop.......

Ive had to comp using combustion because after effects crashes on my laptop for some reason... The explosions are a mixture of elements generated in maya a couple of compustions explosion particles and i've got some video footage of explosions that i'll be comping on when i do the final comp. the tracer fire are particles rendered out of maya, ive got gun batteries all down the side of galactica so i can animate them on her and render them off seperatly... does that make sence??? im sure i've not waffeled on too much..

Cheers chiletrek..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    For the first cut of the first half of your scene that was very good.:thumb:
    Just brushing the cobwebs off a few of my threads.. I thought id start with this one.

I've not gotten as far as i'd like with it but i've got a few more shots, and ive edited a few and spent a little time on ironing a few of the camera moves. more to come though..

let me know what you think

YouTube - me0markmassey's Channel
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    really cool animtion skills :)
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that newest animation is awesome markmassey ! :thumb: The lighting and fx need some work (well it's a wip anyway :D) but the rest looks and sounds just as it should.
    Oh and what's with the spheres near the end of the vid ? Dyson spheres ? :p
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Sweet... an awesome CG animated storyboard. :)
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    super work! :)
    thanks guys,

Somacruz
    hehe no the spheres are just place holders for the flak barrier explosions. i'm going to use them to track the explolsions when i come to comp it. i forgot to make them orange..
    Hello:
    Your new video looks amazing! and it looks like another loosing battle for poor Galactica:devil:. Keep it up!:thumb:.
    Ok so its been ages since i updated this thread.... or any of my threads for that matter. but this ones first..

I've got all the shots blocked, some more than others. I cant wait to get some renders out now and start comping in some explosions..

YouTube - me0markmassey's Channel
    pretty cool dude ;)

i need to practice my animation skills.
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    whoa. that... whoa.
    Hello:
    I just saw your latest BSG video, it was great, very fun to see. And Cylons were deadly!:devil:.
    Keep it up!:thumb:.
  • That is awesome dude, I wish I could do that, are you going to make full production passes? That'd be excellent.
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Very cool, congratulations! Awsome.:cool:

Scott
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic. :D There were really too many elements that I loved to comment on them all. You're very good at putting across more than one idea simultaneously, like in the shot when the vipers are flying out to meet the Cylons and there's some dialogue in the cockpit, but at the same time we're seeing the civilian ships flying in the opposite direction. I think some people would have split that into two or three separate shots, one showing the Vipers, one showing the fleet and then finally showing the pilot and getting the dialogue across. Your approach was nice and efficient and kept up the pace. :)
  • RedeyesRedeyes334 Posts: 21Member
    Excellent, you've got the BSG style down, very impressive!
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    That was better than the entire 4th season. Great work!
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I hate the bsg style of shakey cam and lots of zoom-in, but this is well animated and should look really cool when all rendered up nicely
    Hi thanks for the comments guys. To be honest the constant zooms in the space shots used to realy bug me, till i got used to them i suppose. And thanks pearse, i've tried to get the shots packed full of things happeniing. when i go in to polish the animation i'll be adding more of that, cramming more vipers and raider into the shot, in the background.

I might take a break from this now and finish my farscape models, but i'll be trying to render out the shots as nicely as i can, i think i'll get some help for the rendering guy at work.. the amazing al we call him.. so hopefully it will look sweet. and once the effects are comped in it should look very special.... well hopefully..
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm sure it'll look incredible. :)
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    I would like to say that this is a fantastic piece of work you've done, I am really impressed. Great Job!
    YouTube - Jump test v3.mov

Ok this wil be my last last update for a while,i've been playing around in after effects with the jump effect. it looks better than my first attempts. its not there yet but nearly..

the ring isnt great but its good enough for now..

I sat and screen grabbed frame by frame so ive got a pretty good breakdown of the effect, just need to tweak it to make it look more exact..

Ok now i'm going to sit and work on the textures for my farscape models.... i'm crap at uv mapping i think thats why i keep dropping it....

let me know what you think.
    for the long ship, the effect seems a bit too long...

the raptors look good
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    nice work
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looks really good :thumb: I agree that the flash should be a bit faster because it has something to do with the ship getting to a speed higher than light but hey it's sci-fi anyway.
    thanks for the comments, i agree looking at it now... the flashes i've been looking at are all 16 frames long, regardless of the size of the ship.. but mines 19. not much difference but makes all the difference..

I'll speed up the effect a little, i think with an extra pulse - keying the scale up and down will add an extra kick to the flash aswell... if that makes sence..

the sound effect would help aswell, i think i'll try and dig one out