Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dmy bsg animation

• markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    YouTube - shot 4 v2.mov

Had a go at doing at rendering out a scene. Still looking at the jump effect.

Let me know what you think
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    the jump looks just fine

the raptor inspecting the hull (or whatever) could benefit of a searchlight or something.
    to justify what he's doing here.
    Spot lights, great idea L2K cheers....

In the scene its more obvious what the raptors are doing, but yes a couple of spotlight would look nice..
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Some thruster jets as the raptor changes direction would be good as well. It'd nice if you could find a higher quality model of the tanker, but there probably aren't any available unless Ice-Dragon's made one.
    Funny i started doing that yesterday, thats one thing i forgot... thanks pearse.

Yes i was thinking of trying to find a higher quality model of some of the ships that get colse to camera. i might see if today would let me have his basestar when its done..

But yes i might have to message ice dragon and ask if hed be up for letting me use one of his models.
    YouTube - Shot 69_comp.mov

Had a go at usung After effects tracking tool. Looking at Galacticas flac cloud. just a quick test but i think it looks promising.. I cant wait to tune the animation now, add the missiles and bullets..
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    those explosions smell like afterburn.
    you should take a look at allan mckay's turorials to fix them up

the scene looks good. the jump is perfect.
    more raiders would be nice.
  • tan.jtan.j183 East JapanPosts: 100Member
    ... it's just a jump with a BSG feel :thumb:
    The jump in the latest video looks almost perfect to me. The explosions could do with a lot more detail and be more varied, though. It didn't notice the first time, but on my second viewing I noticed that some were duplicates of eachother.

Also, not really a criticism of this video, because it happened in the show as well, but I never liked it when Galactica would jump out and we'd see the raiders flying straight through the space it had just vacated. It makes you wonder, if Galactica hadn't jumped away, were those raiders just planning to fly straight into it? ;)
  • FTL looks brilliant, real nice work
    Thanks guys, Yes Pearse the explosions are 3 different ones copied so they all look the same at the minute, when i come to do the final one hopefully they'll look more detailed and i'll have more of a Variety. You can also see them shudder at points where the tracker went crazy..

(don't mean to sound like im jumping on the defensive all the time)

But yes about the raiders i agree i've thought that a few times.. I suppose its because it looks good.. if the raiders did have Kamikaze tactics i doubt galactica would have lasted to a 4th season..
    Don't worry, you don't sound defensive. :) I assumed you were going to do more work on the explosions anyway, but just thought I'd point it out since I noticed it.
    Thats good then, i wouldnt want people to think i was jumping down their throats every time they say something.... I think its because im an annoying Perfectionist, (as most people on here probably are) and i keep feeling the need to say this is a test or this is a test... or i havent looked at this properly yet but here it is... i've stopped makeing sence now.

But yes i'll take all comments in.. helps me to manage all the plates that i've got in the air at the minute..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=FZvbrgoaPuU&feature=channel

Its been a while since i've updated this thread, but i've waited untill i had something to update with, I've done an animation pass on shot 3 which is the big cic shot.. Its still not finished (anim wise) but i think i'll post it, let anyone whos interested have a look at where im going with things..
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    excellent! I can't wait to see more.
  • AeriesAeries1 Posts: 0Member
    that's hawt. :3
    Really coming along. You get a lot of emotion and expression from those fairly simple character models. Really impressive.
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    And I agree, the movements of the characters are more fluid now and the lips sure match the dialogues, which is awesome.
    As for the fleet sequences, they are great too... and I wonder if that ship will ever get refueled :D.
    Keep it up!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/me0markmassey#p/a/u/0/PsFlSA2Elxs

I've had a go at getting the effect for the missile trails, still needs tweaking but im happy enough with this test to start adding them into my shots now.... lets see if we can get this monster rendered and some effects comped in....

Let me know what you think...
  • zubruuzubruu0 Posts: 0Member
    Real great.. keep working:) The only thing that is strange for me is so big explosion and so many smoke on the end... like it would be nearly as powerfull as nuke.
  • Looking good the Pegasus looks remarkably stationary though like it's been caught dead in the water although I imagine battlestars move relatively slowly anyway.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Very impressive missile trail ... feels right, dissipates at the right pace, looks good!
    I agree, however, that the impact is a bit overly stupendous for a non-nuke (at least as the show, erm, showed ... we could get into arguments over kinetic impact, spalling, and the energies of high velocity, but that'd hijack the thread and we're not going there! It's art, not physics, right? :) ). Tone the hit down a tad and let the debris cloud fade quicker and you've got a great "test" in my book.

It's already very, very good! Nice job.
    Thanks guys, this was my first attempt at anything using particles. the explosion is a default fluid effect and i didnt edit it just plonked it at the end of the missiles path for effect.... Probably why it doesnt quite fit the scene... and like wise with the battlestar, i probably should have spend the 3 seconds it would have taken to add a few anim keys to it... I'd do another movie with these corrected but i've moved to adding them into my shots now..

But yes when i come to composit the explosions into the shot i'll make sure they are not too big, and faid off nicely... I've started to break up shot 67 of my animation to do a propper comp with the trails..... Thats the shot where galacticas flight pods are retracting and the ship is being bombarded with missiles.... hopefully it will look good... I should have it done and uploaded soon.... That being said my soon can sometimes be months.....

sanderlee

feel free to give me a run down on "kinetic impact, spalling, and the energies of high velocity" but be aware that after a few seconds i'll probably go crosseyed then blind... as im, a little bit dumb..
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    markmassey wrote: »
    sanderlee

feel free to give me a run down on "kinetic impact, spalling, and the energies of high velocity" but be aware that after a few seconds i'll probably go crosseyed then blind... as im, a little bit dumb..

Don't worry about it. Real physics, while quite cool in some cases, is often VERY boring looking. Space combat especially so. No swooping, no dodging, no missile trails, and explosions that look like flashbulbs (poof and gone ... no lingering). What you're making is art ... and very sweet art at that!

Keep up the awesome!
    Done a little more compositing on this over the last day or so.. looking at the explosions and missile trails.. i've been experimenting with maya fluids for the flak cloud... they look a bit basic now, but the final ones should look a lot more interesting.. i ned to do some impact explosions aswell..

It'll look good with motion blur added..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swvil-np3vs
  • That's looking really good, can't wait to see it finished, am jealous you've got so far, you and tan.j should team up.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Whoah that looked better than I expected it to ever be ! The Galactica itself is looking amazing an the explosions (+other stuff around) look very promising as well :thumb: Now I know the final outcome will be well worth the wait !
    hehe cheers guys, its getting there... just realised i didnt turn the layer on for galacticas guns firing..... oh well save that for the next shot.... I'm looking at lighting the cic now.. so the next update will probably be a render of the big shot 3.. then i think i'll just go through methodicly and finish and render each scene... at the minute i've been filicking from shot to shot at random...

But yes its getting there.. i'm glad i've gotten this far with it and not just given up and done the stargate or startrek ones i started a while ago.. Hopefully it will be done by this time next year....
  • zubruuzubruu0 Posts: 0Member
    Impresive work dude. I'm realy jealous of your skills;)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty nice animation overall, some good effects and models. But I do want to point at one thing; the camera work is okay, but currently looks a little forced and artificial, making it look over the top rather than a shaky-cam effect. If you add a slight amount of bank rotation, especially during the larger movements that appear to be due to explosions, it'll be better. That will make it more organic and realistic, while also adding a lot more visual interest.