Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dmy bsg animation

markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Not sure if if this should go here as its not really a 3d wip.

ive started to do a battle scene for galactica, i know everyone does them....

Just had a quick go at setting up a shot. I did a lot of trek battle scenes while i was at college. not done one for years now so this is my first go with my real animation skills haha..

I'm going to be doing internal shots in cic and in the vipers. that's the real reason im doing this, I've made a mock up cic and i'll be using a rig that i use to do the 11 second club monthly animations.

Just a bit of fun for me. let me know what you think. not much to comment on so far.

Ive used wjaspers Galactica and Coxxons low reg ships.. I hope that's OK for crediting.

YouTube - blast1
Post edited by markmassey on

• ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the camera, it's a proper "HOLY SH!T!" moment when the cylon pops up.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    that looks really good.

maybe the basestar could use some slight rotation and movement after jumping in.

you plan to do a basestars invasion or just the rebel cylons one ? (in that case, it needs to be half destroyed)
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    comments already blimey. cheers guys.

L2k no its not the rebel cylons, tho i have copied how it jumps into the middle of the fleet.
    Like Armondikov said i thought it would make a good oh frak moment..

2 more baseships are going to jump in further out, as if the baseship miss calculated its jump.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Pw2YCBwn4

I quick shot i did yesterday, i think this is going to be the opener.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Wow that's very nice indeed. It mimicks the look of the show perfectly. Great job!
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Are you zooming out, or moving the camera backward? It looks as though the camera itself is moving backwards, because the perspective changes. I think both vids look good except for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    It does look like the camera's pulling back rather than zooming out like in the show, but other than that, the style, the animation, and those angles could be straight from the show. Good stuff. :D
    Cheers Pearse and Berle that's because they were, I've re done the scenes now animating the focal length of the camera, so they look more like the cameras from galactica.

I've also done a quick test for the vipers launching. but I'm not sure about it yet. needs tweaking. the judder at the start is youtbe not me haha...

YouTube - vipers v1
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    the vipers need more impression of speed.
    the need to really be rushing to the basestar and not just flying by.
    maybe you can make them shake.
    its well known that ships going faster than they are made for always shake like they are going to fall apart and explode.
    YouTube - vipers 2

YouTube - galactica

Mate an edit on the viper anim, i made them a lot faster, which i think looks better. Not sure about having them shake tho...

but thanks for the input L2K
    The second version with the faster Vipers looks just right.
    YouTube - BSGtest v2

Had a break from modeling and worked on this a little more.. im just searching my dvds for raptor chatter for the beginning. The characters look a little thunderbirds at the minute, but there still at block stage.

Have i missed this site or what...........
    That's really cool. :D I must admit I laughed out loud when I saw Tigh.. the single eye was a nice touch. But the camera moves and movement of all the ships looked great, as well as the interior shots.

So are you going to be fully detailing the CIC interior? I'd love to see how the characters turn out.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah everything looks really well :thumb: Characters look allright so far too. Can't wait to see some actual shots with better lighting, background and effects :D
    I'm not sure I'm going to render these shots out, that wasn't my original intention, but Ive just done a missile shot and comped some explosions over the top of the movie... now I'm tempted to render it all out...
    YouTube - blast15

I'm going to resist the temptation to upload every shot it i do... until Ive got something that looks decent.. I'm working on some dog fights at the minute.
  • Wow I can't believe I missed this before, I'd go all the way with this if I were you I don't have the talent you have for animation and am wholly impressed. One day I'll do my own like this, really, very cool, awesome I am as I type opening 3DS Max!
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work! :thumb:

One question...why does the Raptor randomly fly out then turn around?
    haha cheers fireload, i might just do that...... ive had a go at some render tests...

Endeavour - The raptor is suppost to be guiding a ship to galactica to refuel or somthing like that. Im sure ive seen an episode where boomer guides a ship in to resupply with water..... in episode water funny enough... I've not gotten around to getting the audio for it yet. Hopefully when i do it will be more obvious.
    That last video was really impressive. The camera moves were just right and it told the story of the shot really well. The only thing I think could be changed is where the raider is blown up with the space park ship in the background. It's just a little confusing, for a split second it's hard to tell if it's the raider breaking up or the space park ship. But maybe that would become clearer if it was fully rendered, I'm not sure. Definitely worth rendering fully though. :)
    Thanks Pearse, I agree. Tho it might look a little less confusing with lighting and an effects. I think i'll shunt the Space Park a little forwards just to make sure...

Thanks for the input
    I know i said i wasn't going to upload any more movies for a while, but ive just done this in my dinner hour, and thought id post it..

Needs a little more time spent on it, but looks good so far..

YouTube - Pyxis
  • prisoner881prisoner881336 Posts: 30Member
    markmassey wrote: »
    YouTube - BSGtest v2

Had a break from modeling and worked on this a little more.. im just searching my dvds for raptor chatter for the beginning. The characters look a little thunderbirds at the minute, but there still at block stage.

Have i missed this site or what...........

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I saw the Tigh character and his one eye. The animation, sets, and audio are just spot on perfect. Kudos to you, sir!
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    markmassey wrote: »
    I know i said i wasn't going to upload any more movies for a while, but ive just done this in my dinner hour, and thought id post it..

Needs a little more time spent on it, but looks good so far..

YouTube - Pyxis

Wow, that progressive explosion of the liner is incredible!
    Dam just realized i didn't export the sound with that last clip.. Makes a bit more sense
    with the explosion noise.. anyway..

But cheers keith, hopefully it'll look a lot better rendered with the explosion particles instead of the balls..

and thanks prisoner... i was hoping people would laugh at that.. seems to be working.
    Another good one. You've got the timing and the movement of all the craft just right.
    cheers pearse the explosion works better with sound, i've uploaded another clip of it with sound

YouTube - pyxis withsound
  • GrzesiekGrzesiek0 Posts: 0Member
    Impressive work. not sure how i missed this one.
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    Poor Pyxis, now destroyed with sound!. I wonder why we all love to destroy Passenger Liners:devil:.
    Keep it up, it is clear that you are into making a very cool full battle scene:thumb:.
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work here!