Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dmy bsg animation

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    i agree with all, very great job! can't wait to see more!
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I've joined a couple of shots together, thought id upload them, see what anyone thinks.

shots 21-22 is still a block stage, i'll flesh them out later..

YouTube - shots 1 2

YouTube - shots 21 22
    Thought id upload this, his one eye makes me chuckle a lot..

YouTube - Shot 3 tigh block
    haha, i like it! nice! shot 21 22 are very great!
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Adama floating along like Morticia Adam's is a little unnerving! ;)
  • PhaserPhaser0 Posts: 0Member
    Hahahaha! I lmao so hard when I saw the people!

Great renders of the ships, though! You have the fluid motion of the ships down great. Also, your camera work is superb. It's some of the best fan-made camera work I've seen. Great job.
    haha your right pearse, it didnt quite fit so i did a propper walk.

cheers nilianth and phaser, and everyone else whos commented.. nobodies hated it yet haha...

I wasnt going to upload anything for a while..... i'm sure i start every update with that....

Worked a litte on the cic scene over the weekend so i thought id cut the first 4 shots together. I've made an environment now, that explains the pinky light in the space shots, theres a huge nebula behind the camera.

I've been trying to get some renders sorted out, but seeing as im crap at rendering its proving harder to get the same look as the show, in terms of the glows or shine off the ships..

But i'm pretty chuffed with how its going.

YouTube - Galactica anim v2
    Done a few test renders of the galactica in the environment ive done for the battle. Still working on how to get the shine off the hull, but i'll keep plugging away at it.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    I think it looks good the way it is ; if you want to take off the shine just lower the specular or glosiness levels. You should just make a few dim lights surrounding the ship, one stronger on a side to make the details visible and one very bright somewhere far behind to add a slight glow to the ships (if you place it in a good place it should just shine on a very narrow part of the ship).
    Keep up the good work ! :thumb:
    Cheers somacruz, adding a couple of spolt lights to pick out the rim of the hull worked a treat..... why didnt i think of that??

I've just realised that ive been going on about the hull shine, when i meant the glare..
    The latest video's looking good. :thumb:
    thanks pearse, question to everyone. ive just rendered off a quick anim of galactica jumping into shot. I think it looks great but i want to but the jump flash in before i upload it.

any ideas?? im assuming its an after effects job..
    I don't know much about Maya but I'm sure you can do a decent shot in the program itself. I used one light that had lighting and casting shadows turned off (to prevent any lighting oddities) and applied some lens effects that made it look like that in the show. After that I just changed the angle, size, intensity and sometimes color of the glows/stars/streaks to make it look like a moving flash. Oh and to make the effect easy to correct, I just hid everything except the light and rendered it again with the video playing in the background (the camera was matched because I was using the same I used for rendering).
    Hope that helps :thumb: I'm looking forward to seeing more of that stuff :D (maybe it will motivate me to make some renders of my old BSG ships ...)
    Worked on this yesterday, a quick 2d comp of the ftl jump.

The flashes need working on but its not a bad effort for a first go..

I'm rendering a shot of galactica still, when thats done i'll comp that. i think it will look a little more dramatic than this one.

YouTube - Galactiva jump test
    That's come out pretty well. I'd suggest making it a lot brighter at the point when the ship disappears. In the show the screen whites out for a split second when the ship jumps out, right?
    Yeah and the light should be bigger overall (to cover the whole width of the ship) but it's really good so far :thumb:
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    wow, great work so far! want to see more! :thumb:
  • GrimGrim0 Posts: 0Member
    This is amazing work, if anyone doesn't like it the would not be welcome here. I really love the character movements of the latest full render, looks absolutly amazing. Very realistic and detailed. The little movements, adjusting the headsets while talking, all the little things. Makes it just look brilliant.

I think you've got the space shots virtually down to a T in comparrison with the show. I little trick I've found that might help you getting a better shine on the hull would be to add a second distant light with same position as your key light, slightly brighter, but only affecting the specular channel and not the diffuse channel.

The jumpout looks great. Just mirror what others have said really, just a brighter flash needed. Possibly reduce the time it takes for the flash to get from right to left by a frame or 2.

Really can't wait to see more!
    YouTube - Galactica Jump v2

Ok second go, spent a little more time on this, its getting there. I think this will be the last jump or render test for a while, i've got back into animating after my little break..

Pearse, i dont thik the frame ever whites out in the show. unless my dvd player skips the odd frame (im not ruling that out) the flashes are a lot brighter than my first go though, and probably my second. still working on them. i's funny ive been looking at loads of jump sequences and you can see where the guys working on it have thought oh we'll get away with not having this or that, nobody will see.. like the odd bit of geometry missing. the bit in crossroads when the fleet jumps into the nebula, there is a jump flash for colonial 1 when its already in shot.... wow ive just re-read that and i've obviosly been watching too many jump sequences.... i'll try telling that joke in the pub tomorrow, see it go downlike a led baloon...

but cheers for all the suggestions, it all helps... great to get constructive crit...

and such high praise from grim i'm honoured...
    lol, don't worry about that. When I looked for references for my BSG hangar bay I started noticing errors in their model and things they'd taken shortcuts on. It just shows you're paying attention.

I think from time to time there are white outs, but if you haven't seen any then maybe I'm just imagining them, or they do it very rarely. It's not like I've done any research on it. :)
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    markmassey wrote: »
    YouTube - Galactica Jump v2

Ok second go, spent a little more time on this, its getting there. I think this will be the last jump or render test for a while, i've got back into animating after my little break..

Whoa! that looked great :thumb: It was just about like watching an actual show effect. :cool:
    this is really great! superb work!
    thanks guys.

I'm just comping the block for the first half of my battle, Some of the shots are still realy rough so i don't realy want to post it but what the hell, i like showing how far i am....

One question i wanted to ask anyone. i've used a high res raptor that i downloaded a while ago, it was in obj format but i cant find the readme file it came with to credit the modeler... slap on the writ i know. does anyone know please???
    YouTube - Galactica part1 roughv1

This is the cut of the first half of my scene.. I'm still working on cameras, the're not quite orgainc enough.... for lack of a better word..

any suggestions feel free.....
    That's coming along really well. I don't really have any suggestions, you know what you're doing. :)
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great! I'm looking forward to more.
    Fantastic work.

I'm really glad to see a fellow BSG animator at work. Keep it up.

I'll be sure to feature you at my BSG fansite sometime soon along with another great BSG fan animation that's being developped :)

Adalla
    Oh yeah it looks better and better every time you make an update ! :thumb: The camera is pretty much spot-on and I think that the only extra moves you can add is when something blows up or passes near the camera.
    Everything else is just perfect.
    woooow!
    great animation! can't wait to see the complete one! :thumb:
    Thanks guys glad your liking it... im still enjoying doing it which is a good sign... i started doing an atlantis one with the daedalus taking on 3 hive ships last year, but that didnt go very far... i'll ave to dig that out and post it hehe..

Thanks Adalla, i've just checked out your wip... how did i miss it?? very cool...