Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWARHAMMER 40K Vehicles

• BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    The Space Marines were done by sight, along with the Drop Pod, ..... but I now have The Imperial Armour Book Vol.2 when I started the Tempest ... which provides Orths of the Space Marine Vehicles ... though I only use those to rough out the shape, since they are not entirely accurate to the physical miniatures .... So I rely on collecting as much photo Refs of the Model I'm doing to refine it ....

Jas
  • DalekHunterDalekHunter331 Posts: 9Member
    i was thinking about getting the armour books but wasnt sure now im defiantly getting one

Thanks
    Andy
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd hardly call it "accurate" because 40K really doesn't have a canon to be "accurate" to. You have the physical minatures, yes, but these are only useful if you want to say you're building one of the minatures (I've seen one or two done intentionally like this and with textures replicating paint jobs too!). Mostly this is because the minatures take certain artistic liberties with detail, scale and practicality/realism. And the 40k stuff always looks best in the artwork, which by their nature won't be accurate.
    @ DalekHunter:

If you look at the very first WIP pic I posted for the Land Raider (Page 14 - Post #133) it shows how I started the model by using refs from the Armour Book as Image Planes, then using Splines to outline the various parts. Once the basic parts were roughed out, I used Photo Refs of the miniture to refine those parts ....

The Imperial Armour Books are the closest thing to the Miniatures as your guide, since they are produced by the same company that make the Miniatures (Forgeworld & Games Workshop) so it makes sense to use those books as a starting point if you want to build a CG version of the Physical Models ....

@ Armondikov:

I think Andy was referring to accuracy with regards to the Miniatures .... since I'm basing my Vehicles on those ...

Jas
    Part of the Engine done ....

Jas

40klandraiderwip017.th.jpg
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Looks just like it should bro. Well done Jas.
    Cheers Travis :thumb:!!, ... I've just got to do the part that the Engine section mounts onto, and the Grill / vents at the back of the Land Raider, then just do a sweep of the whole top central section to finish off some small details that have been left until last for the top, .... and finally onto the Sponsons to complete modelling for this Land raider, ...

I'll then be moving straight onto the MK 2 version,.. modelling all the parts needed for the conversion .....

Jas
    Excellent. Cant wait to see that Jas.:cool:
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    sweet. She be looking nice.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Looking great Jas.
    Cheers Guys !! :thumb:

Just another render .... Though I like this camera angle the best so far, ... along with the light hitting it from behind .... Think I'll have this setup as one of my final renders of the completed model, ... will be good to show the Sponson detail when done .... Also hidden the Gunner and closed the Hatch for this shot, ... want to get him rigged before he's seen again, ....

Jas

*EDIT - Updated WIP 018 > Post #376
  • UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work (as always) :thumb:

Really starting to take shape now.

Are we going to be seeing some textures on it soon?

I'm watching.......;)
  • StarSlayerStarSlayer0 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing work Jas the Land Raider is really shaping up.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    very cool!
    Thanks Everyone !! :thumb: .. Decided to get the Sponsons done with the exception of the Spectral Surveyor that goes on top & the Heavy Bolters to finish those off ...

@ UK-Blade:

I'm wanting to do the MK II after completing the modelling stage for this one, .. then texture them both at the same time ...

Jas

40klandraiderwip018.th.jpg
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looks great! very clean modeling :)

Chris
    Wow Jas- thats HOT!
    Looks great Jas, where did the gunner go?
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    That's one sweet looking model you have got yourself there! :)
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    What is your render engine setup? default, mental-ray, or something else? Just curious...your modeling skills are fantastic
    Thanks very much everyone :thumb:!! ... Though I'll be glad once the Land Raiders are done, and not too far off completing the Prometheus, ... The MK II that's being done directly after will take a fraction of the time, as the conversion uses the same hull structure base for variants ... Though I'm keen to start the Thunderhawk Transporter that will be dropping these into battle ...

@ Lord Ravensburg:

Cheers Lee, .. I mentioned in my earlier post #372, That I'm wanting do some renders with the Hatch closed and the Gunner has been hidden until rigged, so he's in a more natural pose manning the Storm Bolter ... plus his scale has been refined (scaled down slightly) for the completed model renders (prior to textures) ...

@ EBOLII:

Thanks mate, .. I use Brazil ....

Jas
  • UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    Burning the midnight oil Jas......

Great work on the LR, can't wait to see it finished (AND textured ;))

Keep up the good work

but don't neglect your sleep.....we can wait a little longer.
    Binkerman wrote: »
    @ Lord Ravensburg:

Cheers Lee, .. I mentioned in my earlier post #372, That I'm wanting do some renders with the Hatch closed and the Gunner has been hidden until rigged, so he's in a more natural pose manning the Storm Bolter ... plus his scale has been refined (scaled down slightly) for the completed model renders (prior to textures) ...

That's what I get for getting distracted by the pretty pictures and not reading the whole thread...:p
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Binkerman wrote: »
    I'm keen to start the Thunderhawk Transporter that will be dropping these into battle ...
    It must be equipped with some sort of Tardis-like internal space to be able to fit two Land Raiders.
    @ UK-Blade:

Ha, .. No, I'm just ticking along at a gentle pace, ... quite slow actually ... but right now that's working out better for me and RL, ...
    That's what I get for getting distracted by the pretty pictures and not reading the whole thread...:p

I'll make the pics harder to see and have the text in a larger font if that helps :p

@ DCB:

I know that Thunderhawk Transporters can only transport one Land Raider at a time due to their size, ... There will of course be TWO Transporters for the MKII & Prometheus that will appear in the planned scene later ...

Jas
    It again makes me wonder why the Imperium don't have some bigger transporters. That's no way to ship a Land Raider....
    70836.jpg
    DCB wrote: »
    It again makes me wonder why the Imperium don't have some bigger transporters. That's no way to ship a Land Raider....

Keep in-mind that Thunderhawk Transporters don't just move Land Raiders from A to B as their sole job, ... they transport a variety of different cargo, .. and the following is just 'my' opinion on why the Space Marine's use a small craft to transport a single Land Raider:

The Space Marine Cargo is precious, particularly Land Raiders, which are the Ace Card for the Space Marine's Ground Forces that can turn the tide of battle .... Transporting multiple Land Raider's with a single Craft makes it a prime target for getting shot down, effectively losing all their golden eggs in one basket, not to mention that the Transporter would have to be much larger, making it an even easier target .... so not a good idea ... Plus using the current transporters would be more manoeuvrable, can deploy single Land Raiders at strategic points at the SAME time in tighter drop zones ...

Remember I'm building 40K Vehicles based on 'existing designs' that I personally find interesting to do ... Why not design something to transport your Land Raider when its done? I'd be interested to see what you come up with :cool: ...

Jas
    Seems to me like walking around with your fly open, but whatever floats your boat. ;) The bigger challenge is how the hell you transport a Baneblade, as I've pondered before.
    DCB wrote: »
    The bigger challenge is how the hell you transport a Baneblade, as I've pondered before.

If there's no official sources for deploying Baneblades, then it's down to your own interpretation & design if you're wanting to build something for it, .... I'm sure the 40K'ers will chip in with suggestions to try and help the design process if you want to try something for that beast later ...

But if you don't have any plans for scenes or animation showing Baneblades being deployed, then don't worry about it, and focus on your current WIP >> The Land Raider Redeemer << .... Would be nice to see some updates on how she's doing ...

Jas
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    There are a few "dropships" in the Epic model range that a are a bit larger than Thunderhawks. But if you think about what the Marines are primarily there for, they're unlikely to have mass deployment into a non-combat area (which would require the large ships) as that would be the Guard's job. So undoubtedly, the big dropships would be for the Guard, rather than the Marines. A few novels describe their use, but they just seem fairly generic rather than as characteristic as the Thunderhawks.

Most of them are conversions and scratch-builds though. I might flick through the artwork for some.
    http://www.digitalequinox.com/wip/epic/dropship01.jpg
    http://www.plymouthwargamers.co.uk/images/Gallery/PAW2005Report/Dropship01.JPG

EDIT: That's my nerd-quota filled for the week. Please, continue.