Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWARHAMMER 40K Vehicles

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hi guys.

With WH40k vehicles is main problem, that FW full resin models donA’t match plastic kits from GW and blueprints look more than FW models, cos they were created by same team as FW models. I make real models from scratch and in 3D too. I can say, that FW vehicles have usualy better design than GW.

They probably use FW as testing of sales with model in resin and then they make in plastic. Then they make 3D model for instructions manual and for creating molds. But this model isnA’t same as this resin version. For resin model, they probably make only some drawings and then it is on guy from FW workshop how good master model he made. How carefuly he can follow these drawings, dimensions and shapes.

With resin you are not limited with complexity of model, you can make really crazy detail and shapes, as seen on this Inquisitor Lord Hector Rex. With prices and technology there is no problem. But in plastic you are limited with two sides molds. Then you need make some shapes and details simpler or split model into many small parts.

Next thing is matter-of-factness these vehicles. I had to make these rhino tracks a bit shorter than on plastic rhino. Lets face it, they donA’t care if they are realistic or no:) If they have that long tracks links,they will destroy them on that small wheels. Same with Landrider tracks. LR has even problem, that it has small clearance height. It will be stuck on small stone in real.
    Great work, very clean modeling. Thanks for sharing.
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks alot Guys !! :thumb: .. A few new renders now showing the Storm Bolter for the Gunner Turret, .. I've not rigged the Techmarine yet until I finish off the rest of the Land Raider ... Then the Gunner will be in a more natural pose manning the weapon ....

Jas

*EDIT* Updated Pics:>> Re-Rendered the clay pics with the Storm Bolter that show the edges sorted on Turret base (Same model stage as the material renders on Post #345) ...

40072968.th.jpg 51755995.th.jpg 67317671.th.jpg
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Cool, there is only one problem. Do you see it? No not that. Ye- NO! Not that either. Yep that's right. You need....

MOAR DAKKA!!!

hehehehe

Seriously though, you doing an A+ job on this.
    Btw I think, you have here mistake in this model. These boxy things around rotating hatch arenA’t lights. But periscopes.
    Jas, I think your work is great ...
    I would like to see you taking a so called "poetic licence" adding your personal touch to the land raider.
    Which pattern have you choosen (Terminus Ultra :D)?
    Your talent can be afforded to create its own pattern.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Very sweet work Jas... Loving the skull detail on the shoulder pad
    Closer shot of the Gunner front view rendered at a different angle just for something to post, as I wanted to say thanks for the feedback !!, which is always appreciated ! .... RL is restricting my CG atm, ... but the next update will be finishing off the Rear of the Land Raider ...

@ salsa:

Cheers !!

@ Tom Grays:

Where are you getting your info from with regards to the Periscopes as the detail on the turret sides ? ... Not in the Imperial Armour book (from what I've read) ... I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just curious what your source is to confirm that ? ..

@ andcar1969:

Thanks mate !! ... Though I try to keep things pretty faithful to the physical model, ... as you would probably know, this particular Land Raider is the Mk V Macragge Pattern, ...

@ Lord Ravensburg:

Cheers Lee !!

Jas :thumb:

*EDIT* Pic re-posted on #345
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Jas- you been busy! Excellent work man. Excellent.
    That is sweet! Love the material.
  • UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    Superb work (as always) Binkerman :thumb: :thumb:

1 teeny, weeny, itsy bitsy little crit (IMHO...) I find that some of the edges on the cupola and top hatch are a little too rounded....but what the heck, this is your mesh.;)

Keep up the good work.
    Binkerman wrote: »
    @ Tom Grays:
    Where are you getting your info from with regards to the Periscopes as the detail on the turret sides ? ... Not in the Imperial Armour book (from what I've read) ... I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just curious what your source is to confirm that ? ..

It is not from Wh40k sources, but if you look at regular APCs or Tanks today, that they all have these parts as periscopes. I think you know, where guys in GW/FW get inspiration.

Another thing as somebody noticed, I know these are your models, but I think too. For vehicles and units of Empire have too much rounded edges.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Speaking of the rounded edges, as that's your signature style, are you rounding or champhering everything or working with NURBS (subpatches) so it just works like that?
    Pretty much done with the Gunner as far as modelling, .... I hear ya about some of the edges on the turret, ... check out the new renders, .. The material used on the model seems to show the edge & detail better than the earlier Clay renders, so see what you think, .... Just give me an honest opinion, ... Next time I get back to this guy will be for textures ....

@ Road Warrior, Lord Ravensburg & UK-Blade:

Cheers Guys !! :thumb:

@ Tom Grays:

OK Thanks Tom, ... Cheers for the heads-up on those parts .... I can simply change the texture from a light lense to something better later, won't be a problem, ..

@ Armondikov:

Methods I mainly use are either Poly-modelling or Splines to build my models, .. and on the odd occasion will also include box-modelling from primitives etc to get a general shape then modify it,.. For edges, I sometimes chamfer, and other times it's done with the actual spline, so no fixed method, depends what I'm doing ....

Jas

*EDIT* Updated WIP Pics > 014 & 014a (Mesh adjust for the Turret edges that are final)

40180876.th.jpg 86893350.th.jpg 47384126.th.jpg
    New renders are sweet (but so are the old ones....)

I see what you mean about the textures/edges, it does give a extra hi-light, but I still think they are a little OTT. Looks like the cupolas a little melted.... maybe this is just you adding some battle damage....close call with a plasma/multi melta blast perhaps ;)
    Cheers Blade, ... The material applied is just eye candy to show the model a little better than just Clay renders, .. I've simply added a base material with reflection ..... The actual textures will obviously be done later, and will be faithful to the look of 40K .....

I've since hardened the main edge for the Turret (that I'm now happy with), but not updated the pics yet, as these particular renders took a lot longer than my clay ones, .... Just wanted to do something a little different to wrap up modelling for the Tech Marine WIP pics .... You'll see the rest of him (his arms) in correct position when I do renders of the completed vehicle, as I'm now focused back on the Land Raider ....

Jas
    :thumb: Nice.

Can't wait to see the whole mesh, esp. when it gets textured.

I'll be watching the texturing very, very closely..... see if I can get some pointers for my Rhino textures....;)
    Update pic of the Land Raider with a few improvements here and there, plus now has the Gunner and shows the main front door in closed position, ..... Don't think I'll have anything worth showing with the engine / rear detail this weekend, but thought I'd post something, ... I'll render a variety of angles once I've got the tail end sorted ....

Cheers !

Jas

*EDIT* Updated - Post #353
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    sorry if this has already been asked: are the threads rigged? can they be animated? do they follow a spline? or are they positioned by hand?
    Yeah Olivier, ... A few of us were discussing Animation issues of the Tracks back in March on this thread, ... The tracks will be animated yes, ... but for the WIP pics so far, the track was positioned by hand, .... I'll be using the Spline method when I get to animation stage, ...

I did do a quick Animation test (below) with Track using the Spline method (not my actual model), but just did this as an example of what I'll be doing with my model later .... There are less track links on this test, .. but the amount doesn't matter, as the principle is the same ...

Jas

Track Animation Test (March 2k9)

-
    The land raider looks great Jas
    Cheers Lee !! ... Re-posted WIP 015 with a few tweaks done, not much, ... Been busy with RL atm, .... but included another pic with a couple of different angles ...

Jas

*EDIT* - WIP Pics REMOVED, (showing the Gunner with the rest of the Land Raider) ... Decided to wait until he's properly posed manning the Storm Bolter, .. Plus the Gunner needed to be scaled down a tad more, ... and will be seen posed & correctly scaled later with the completed Land Raider prior to textures ....
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Ah...RL.....

Looks beautiful Jas.
    Looking very, very nice, the Mechanicum would be proud :thumb:

Just 1 quick question, how did you do the lights?

I've tried, but can't get em to look half as good.... any suggestions?? ;)
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not sure if I've posted in this thread before or not, but its all very impressive :thumb:
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    The "sun low on the horizon" lighting always cheers me up. Coming along nicely, how long has it been, two years since you started all this yet? :p
    @ Road Warrior & Syklon:

Cheers Guys !! :thumb:

@ UK-Blade:

Thanks Blade, ... If you're meaning the textures for the lights, they are actual photos of real lenses .... I will be using photo based textures to some extent, ...

@ Armondikov:

I first started doing CG Warhammer stuff in January 2007, .... Initially inspired by the opening Cinematic for the first Dawn of War PC Game, ... My interest grew from there, and developed into planning my own sequences & scenes, now that I know that universe better, .. but still rely on you guys for in-depth info / Back Storey etc ... when putting scenes together, just to make sure things make sense with what I'm doing ....

I don't really care how long it takes, so long as I'm enjoying it, and of course the 40K mob or anyone wanting to see more, .. that's all the motivation I need to keep at it :cool: ....

Jas
    Yeah, I figured as much, I've been trying the same thing.

Maybe I just need some better images :(

I'll keep looking.....

Ta
    One from my collection of Texture / Photo Refs, ... Think it would be good for the Rhino's main Headlight .... No excuse not to get an update from you now :p

Jas

aV1DsZU0.jpg
  • DalekHunterDalekHunter331 Posts: 9Member
    how do you get your models so accurate? is it all by eye or do you have some front back and side views of the stuff your modeling?