Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNCC-1701-E

• TripTrip0 Posts: 0Member
    It looks pretty close to real one.
  • seanrseanr1149 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 608Member
    Most impressive
  • Lord_TrekieLord_Trekie0 Posts: 0Member
    Am I allowed to be completely and utterly shocked at the amount of work you are putting into this IRML? Because I am, in a completely good way...
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I think this is better the even the studio model and the studio CGI model! Good Job! :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    ok I've been building some geometry inside the nacelles after looking at some stuff Tobian did, click on the image to see a test animation, the animation is unlit - all you can see are the luminous surfaces, but you should be able to tell what's going on

Glow%20Thumbnail.jpg

for this I used a sub surface scattering shader with refraction for the grills, and a glowing tube with mirror backing on the inside which you can see in the image above (trying to copy what they do to light real models here, the far side warp grill is left unchanged so you can see how much better this looks)

it still needs work but it came out ok in the test, I might bring the 2 tubes down into just one, and I'll have to model the grills instead of leaving that crappy bump map there, but you get the idea
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    That's wild! How very interesting.
  • Alec TrevelyanAlec Trevelyan171 Posts: 40Member
    What, you're back on this now? Looks killer :)
  • nhallnhall171 Posts: 0Member
    Duuuude.... Sweeeeeeet.
  • JustinDixonJustinDixon0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice method. I dabbled a bit into that style a while back but failed.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9841 Posts: 5,334Member
    Intresting poly flow on the butt of the nacel. Glow thing looks nice. ~_~
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Cool effect there! It shold look cool once it's in a scene, with all the other surfaces etc.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Very nice man. I'm interested to see how this looks with modeled grills. I imagine the lighting interaction on the surface would be a little more complex as it flows over the different curves etc...Should look quite sweet. :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Of course, Mr. T would have just pitied it until it glowed of it's on accord....
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    here's some more tests, the top and bottom ones are modelled grills, while the middle 2 are the same bump map that's in the animation, you can see the bump map curves down at the front - which is wrong (I don't know what's causing it yet), but it stays straight around the large section of the grills so you can see what it should look like when I get it fixed

the grills with the brighter hotspots have 2 tubes while the darker ones have a single tube, I think the bump map and 2 tubes work the best, which is what I had originally anyway

I think I'll leave the grills with the bump map, what you can see in insurrection is smooth anyway, and this bump map doesn't actually make the grills look bumpy, it just changes the refraction, so if I set it up to have smooth specular hightlights it'll look great
    Would that be the second one from the top? Looks great! (Except for the aforementioned bump map artifact)

Amazing.
  • NayslayerNayslayer333 Posts: 57Member
    I agree the #2 grill looks great. Though i do like the bigger grill lines on the modeled one. :)
    yup second one from top, I might try changing the scale of the bump map to see if a little larger would be better
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Yeah that one definitely stands out over the rest - you just need to get that weird issue with the map fixed and it will look spiffing.
    ok I sorted out the bump map, here's what the finished effect looks like
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Yeah I went with option #2 too, and I say model them, not a *cough* map! :) Looks excellent, now there's just the rest of it to map or micro-model!
    IRML wrote: »
    ok I sorted out the bump map, here's what the finished effect looks like
    Outstanding! So ... how did you do it?
    I created a UV for the grills and projected the procedural onto that
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing work, T
    IRML wrote: »
    I created a UV for the grills and projected the procedural onto that
    Thanks man!
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Actually that looks great! are you going to share the creation process?
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Awesome stuff man. Now the trick is making the Buzzards look that good too. ;)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very nice Mate
    EBOLII wrote: »
    Actually that looks great! are you going to share the creation process?
    check the previous 2 pages
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that's nice! Will you be doing something similar for the bussards?