Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Two warhead launchers and the centerline ion.

12.jpg
  • Viper AviatorViper Aviator0 Posts: 0Member
    VERY COOL, The Skipray Blastboat has always been my favorite EU Star Wars ship!
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    I think you overreacted to the "it's not detailed enough" comments a few pages back... that one little recess filled with greebles looks kinda silly :|
    Decided to actually make the sensor pods on the diagram ... well, sensor pods. Wing isn't done yet.

13.jpg
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome detail!
  • ZhabokaZhaboka0 Posts: 0Member
    The greeble in no way detracts from the overall sleekness of the ship. Excellent work.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Wow. The detailing far exceeded my own expectations of how this would look. Looks great, Ansel. :cool:
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    very cool!
    Coming along now:

14.jpg
    15.jpg
    16.jpg
  • Now that I see your version of the fighter. I can see how it can now fill the role of a light gunship. The front profile kinda gives a retro look to the Clone war era fighters. I could easily see it as a replacement or alternative to the Y-wing bomber. Again the ship looks like the type i could see being used by security forces, police, para-military forces and even full-fledged military. However i still can't see it as a civillian fighter, unless its really stripped down in armour and weaponery which would in many ways make it a flying death trap. Overall i say its slightly slower then the assualt gunboat of the imperial navy but more heavily armed and able to adapt better to changing situations.
    It's not really a fighter at all - it's the size of a Lambda shuttle. Really it's a small gunboat, that just happens to have at least (linear) fighter acceleration.

This is almost done. Ventral shots and landing gear. Ventral hatches to service the magazines that I imagine are in the wing-root. Added a engine module landing gear fairing and assembly because I thought the sourcebook version without one there looks silly. Might do doors to cover the gear rather than the pad-as-hatch setup right now.

17.jpg
    18.jpg
    19.jpg
  • AescapuliusAescapulius331 Posts: 0Member
    Is it bad that I think the first new render is one of the most visually interesting, with the most interesting shape? I just don't really like this gunboat - Don't get me wrong, the rendering is gorgeous! But something about the design just feels... Bleh...
  • gclambert89gclambert890 Posts: 0Member
    This model is completely stunning Ansel! Hats off man!
    First, some mods to the setup - centerline gear now retracts behind doors, and have smaller pads. Other minor modifications as well.

20.jpg
    21.jpg

Some general thoughts about how the gear is likely to work (prompted on another forum):
    The ship does need landing gear, let's get that out of the way. It's a very awkward shape for rack mounting, though you could argue it's reasonably well built for stacking. As a craft that wide-ranging light forces might be equipped with, temporary rough-field is going to be more important than a purely fleet ship. Plus, references, blah blah, precedent, blah blah. It does need an aft gear, because it looks horribly retarded balanced only on the front with a huge back-end hanging over the center gear. It's not on the refs, but Deal With It (TM).

The gear in the aft section doesn't take very much space retracted. Keep in mind the reactor is actually in the fuselage, not the central rotating tube at the back, which is engine. The engine itself is narrower than the big tube the wings mount into, which you can see from the size of the vectored thrust assembly on all the refs extends further aft. The rotating assembly thus has some space to either side to fit other equipment.

22.jpg

The wings might be a tempting place to put aft landing gear, at first blush. However, there are some problems. First, unlike the center assembly where there is space that doesn't compromise the interior arrangement for the other stuff that's going to be there, it is very difficult to put even the compact gear I've got now without blocking off the whole thickness of the wing, which is fairly slender. The wing is going to have structural bracing for the wingtip ion pods, heatpiping/power links for the same, and possibly radiator space, none of which does well with a retractable landing gear well cutting across the whole area and blocking off the link between the center assembly and the wingtip. You can put it as a pod on the outside of the wing, but that is ugly, and thus I will not have it. Small retractable stilts like a Harrier's wingtip gear is a possibility, but there are 2 problems:
    1) I think in order to make it look not flimsy, you'll end up having a big pod anyway for it to retract into
    2) Mass of any kind is best kept towards the center, unless it has to be outboard (space issues, firing arcs, etc.), since that's less work for a central vectored thrust engine to do to pitch or turn the ship.

The reactor itself is actually not going to be that voluminous; consider the cross sections of the Lambda and Theta-classes; comparable size ships, but with extremely compact reactors. Even at several times the power density, the Skipray won't have a huge reactor, and can easily fit it all in the fuselage.
    Well thought out, as usual, Ansel. :cool:

Are the forward landing gear doors going to end up flush with the superstructure? At the moment, they seem to stick out a bit. I've always thought that doors that effectively "disappear" into the fuselage save for the faint outline of the panels tend to look better and make sense from a maintenance and aerodynamic point of view. Just a thought...

I'm interested to know - given the more...Organic/curved shape of this and some of the other designs you've been working on in the last 3-6 months, do you feel you're pushing yourself to learn new/better techniques all the time? Or do you now spend more time working out the actual design/flow of the detailing, rather than the technical aspects of the modelling itself?
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey I remember that craft from Xwing Alliance! I blew it up enough times :D
    I just realized I had these a while ago but never posted them...

23.jpg
    24.jpg

@Tim
    Forward doors need a little more work, yes. The powered hinges are currently exterior to the main well though, given how narrow and compact the main well is; those will stay, but I do need to make the final doors a bit more flush to the main hull.

Curves - well, I'm less afraid of them than I used to be, and use subD a lot more than I used to. The better I get with it, the less I worry about tackling more difficult "curved" designs. Though the main difference is cleaner geometry; you can bodge anything together and make it look good for a render :).
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    If I am correct to assume those are doors next to the windows, how the heck do they get in and out? Or is the doors somewhere else?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Gangway, I imagine. One could ask a similar question about how on earth you get in and out of a TIE fighter... :)
    And, we're pretty much done.

25.jpg
    Comco wrote: »
    Gangway, I imagine. One could ask a similar question about how on earth you get in and out of a TIE fighter... :)

Tie's Hang from the ceiling since the opening is on top.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Very nice modeling on the panels! It's very cohesive and doesn't look pasted on :)
  • Yeah TIE's had to be usually climbed into from the top via ramps and ladders kinda like a Old B17 turret. Hatch closes on top seals the pilot in.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    And, we're pretty much done.

25.jpg

Awesomesauce!
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    very cool, no handle on the crew door? Is it actuated by some other panel off the door itself?
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    nice
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    I never liked this design since the day I first saw it in the Dark Horse comics way back when....I gotta say...I really like your version.

Well Done, Sir! :thumb:

Bravo!
    So what's up next? That AT-AT you never finished?
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    So what's up next? That AT-AT you never finished?

Wasn't that Binkerman? I can't remember that Fractal had started a AT-AT.
    Wasn't that Binkerman? I can't remember that Fractal had started a AT-AT.

Never mind it was this guy: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?65738-At-at&highlight=