Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• [Irishman][Irishman]177 Posts: 117Member
    ^I think the current Star Wars issue has it.

Messing about:

tri-tie1-1024x768.jpg
    tri-tie2-1024x768.jpg
    tri-tie3-1024x768.jpg
    tri-tie4-1024x768.jpg

How do I find it? I'm not locating it online anywhere.
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    [Irishman] wrote: »
    How do I find it? I'm not locating it online anywhere.

What do you mean?

It's a variation of the TIE Phantom with a Scimitar Bomber cockpit.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    I think he means the magazine. I believe it is in this issue:
    http://www.creativebloq.com/news/discover-the-vfx-of-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    I've always been a big fan of the Phantom.
    Gallery up:

Velox-class Star Frigate:

dart24-1024x640.jpg
    Light fleet tanker idea. The Altor-class was designed to fuel and replenish Star Dreadnoughts and Star Destroyer squadrons. This ship handles destroyers and smaller ships, and is about 900m long.

tanker1.jpg
    tanker2.jpg
    tanker3.jpg
    tanker4.jpg
    tanker5.jpg
    tanker6.jpg
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Really liking that one, man. Very cool. I wonder if it would 'read' more visibly if it had two tanks that 'budge' out on each side of the superstructure? It's function is not immediately obvious right now - You could be forgiven for thinking it's a big floating cannon or super weapon, for example...
    Regarding the TIE Phantotar ;)...Did you see the new TIE design on the Rouge One poster? It actually looks pretty close to what you've got there, with some wing reconfiguration...

https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/images.serienguide.tv/original/qjiskwlV1qQzRCjpV0cL9pEMF9a.jpg
    tanker7.jpg
    tanker8.jpg
    tanker9.jpg
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    what a great surprise to come on here and see this tanker thing. disgusting detail. i love it.
    Not sure if those tanks were in response to my suggestion or if you had them in mind all along, but they're exactly the sort of thing I was thinking and they work really nicely, IMHO. :) Also really like how they appear to be removable - like they wouldn't need to wait to fill them when putting in to dock but would instead have another pair ready to be swapped out to allow rapid deployment. :thumb:

Can we get a close up view of the tanks? I'm interested to see if the paneling you've got there is flush (ie - not extruded, for example)? Assuming you're just using different material colours to separate out the paneling? Is that a technique you've used on other designs? I've never noticed it before...
    The panels are very thin extrusions. For panels this thin sometimes I don't even edge bevel - depends on the scale. I've been using slightly different colors for a while now to pick out random panels. It helps add a little extra pop to models.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    The prow on some star destroyers almost looks like the metal prow on triremes.

The forward tip looks like an I-beam seen end on

I can see the central column being two doors shut. The destroyer rams a ship--and the vertical doors open up for breach bording in the nose.
    tanker10.jpg
    tanker11.jpg
    tanker12.jpg
    tanker13.jpg
    tanker14.jpg
    Victory-class gallery up:
    vsd68-1024x768.jpg
    Wonderful work like always! :notworthy:
  • MorituriMaxMorituriMax0 Posts: 0Member
    Fractalsponge, discovered your work a few days back and wanted to add my own small voice to the accolades. Best I have seen anywhere.
    Update (basically done). Small gantries for fueling small ships like the Intersector. Armament going up - right now 24 MTL and 36 LTL.

tanker15.jpg
    tanker16.jpg
    tanker17.jpg
    tanker18.jpg
    Looks fantastic. Really like this utilitarian looking tanker for some reason.

A few questions though - no/very few windows on her? Makes it hard to discern her size. How big are those hangars? Are they just for fighter deployment or would they fit a Lamda-Class shuttle in there? And finally - where's the bridge? I assume it's the tower towards the upper rear - as that's where it would be on an ISD, but I don't see any windows there that would confirm that.

Looking forward to seeing a render of a replenishment mission underway :cool:
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Comco wrote: »

A few questions though - no/very few windows on her? Makes it hard to discern her size. How big are those hangars? Are they just for fighter deployment or would they fit a Lamda-Class shuttle in there? And finally - where's the bridge? I assume it's the tower towards the upper rear - as that's where it would be on an ISD, but I don't see any windows there that would confirm that.

Bridge appears to be on the prow of the ship.

My only detractions against the design are that the sensor tower has been laid out flat like on the Imperator II, where I suspect instead it would more likely be upright like in the older style (I'd expect this to be a simpler, less advanced vessel - does that make sense?).

That and, I now look at your larger tanker and think maybe it would be better comprised of a slew of smaller tanks instead? You know, so that if you get a leak you're not losing your entire (pressurised in a vacuum) cargo to the depths of space... :D
    Comco wrote: »

con tower is in the front on top i think. if those white areas are windows.
    Recent doodle:

esc1.jpg
    esc2.jpg
    esc3.jpg
    esc4.jpg
    esc5.jpg
    esc6.jpg
    esc7.jpg
    Nice start for the Ton-Falk class. =)
    looking interesting so far
    I'm not going to do a full internal configuration, but here's a scaling shot, plus flank detail updates.

esc9.jpg
    esc10.jpg
    esc11.jpg

My working assumption for internal configuration and usage is that the front main portal is split - one side has 2x levels of TIE rackmount, and the other ~1/3 of the bay by width handles launches and recovery of lambda-sized shuttles. Basically most of the front 1/2 of the ship is dedicated to hangars, or workshops and barracks for crew. Within this range, the bottom hangar is full length and width, roughly. This main bay would have access via the main port forward, two flank ports (can be configured to launch TIEs, with recovery via front port), and a ventral access that can handle another set of TIE launch positions. Above the main hangar is a storage deck (behind the front detail above the main port) with elevator access to the main hangar - space up here can be used for auxiliary craft smaller than a lambda, but basically anything goes.

Key:
    Blue = 36 TIE/ln and Blue/green = 36 TIE/I in 2 levels of rackmount. Green = 4x Lambda. This alone is the published complement of the ship.

For additional scale, light green = 12 StarWing, Yellow = Skipray (landed), and red = stormtrooper transport. All of what is shown (which doesn't fully use floor area of the storage area) fits into the forward third of the ship. Middle third internal volume is still totally open.
    esc13.jpg
    esc14.jpg
    I think the shield dome looks a little bit out of place on this ship.
  • Morpheus2014Morpheus20140 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing work, I love those details. The shield dome looks like one fat juicy target for torpedoes, just my opinion.

:thumb:
    The sensor globe is in a good position :)
    I think you spelt shield wrong there, Ansel. :D ;)