Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Messing about with making a minivan look cool:

str1.jpg
    str2.jpg
    str3.jpg
    str4.jpg
    str5.jpg
    str6.jpg
    str7.jpg
    str8.jpg
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    looks cool so far. i would slap some wings on it cut a whole in the side and make it a drop ship.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting, be cool to see where you go with this. Another memorable ship, but with a basic design which is a little lacking, but with a bit of TLC you could really turn it into something cool. The X-Wing games are full of them, but fleshed out this could be pretty epic.

We had one of these in development for First Strike, but never took it that far beyond testing builds, though we did have a version working in game, it was based largely on the resin kit that came out some years ago. Will try hunt down some pics of it. Showed the ship did have some potential if fleshed out well.
    in the back you even have a spot where a ramp could drop and troops could poor out.
    Found it:

http://pages.infinit.net/jfp/swgallery/others/ZARKUS_STORMTROOPERTRANSPORT.html

Stormtroopper-transport-right.jpg

I think we used this for detailing more than the actual proportions of the thing.

Found a picture at last of our one, not the greatest pic mind, will see if I can hunt down a better one.

beta_moncal3.jpg
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice.Back ramp to deploy troops quickly would be nice.
    Look what I've been working on. This is hardly WIP#1. This project began in 2009 as a fast fleet carrier. It stalled in 2010 and I've been desultorily adding material to it in fits since. I pulled it out of hibernation recently, fixed a lot of bugs, gave it a new coat of paint and to my surprise it holds up rather well. Some touch ups required to the existing "finished" areas, but the majority of the remaining work is setting up the ventral hangars and finishing the engines.

The ventral hangar layout can now take Chi-class landing ships (which obviously did not exist in 2010), in addition to some AT-SP sized dropships. The total hangar capacity is smaller than the Consolidator/Evakmar despite this ship being bigger but the requirements of armament and acceleration for fleet work dramatically reduces storage volume. A Consolidator with ground force vehicles swapped out for fighters can handle as many as this ship can, if not more, but would be much less survivable.

I'd say carriage is something like a full fighter Command (4 Groups of 6 Wings). Space for two divisions of troops, plus some space for heavy armor that ISDs wouldn't be able to carry, but not a huge number when compared to an assault carrier like the Consolidator.

carrier11_1.jpg
    carrier11_2.jpg
    carrier11_3.jpg
    carrier11_4.jpg
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    Looks like a little version of the Relentless. :thumb:
    Looks a little like your Customs Corvette scaled up to Star Destroyer size, I like it.

:thumb:
    Update:
    carrier11_6.jpg
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    I charge $30 an hour, and something this detailed might take 30-50hrs. This output for this one are a set of high res renders to show off the final ship. If you wanted a big item framed, you'd need the highres render. Poster printing and framing might be another $50-100, depending on the size and materials for the frame you chose.
    Thanks for the info. Surprisingly affordable. Maybe I'll have to engage your services at some point.
  • Regarding fees, you are comically under charging. Your rate should be much, much higher. The commercial stuff should easily be triple what you are doing (for like Lucas, etc.). Maybe give people a break on the private commissions.
    Regarding fees, you are comically under charging. Your rate should be much, much higher. The commercial stuff should easily be triple what you are doing (for like Lucas, etc.). Maybe give people a break on the private commissions.

Hm...good to know. It's not my day job :)

Update from yesterday:
    carrier11_7.jpg
    Heheheh, it is annoying how fast you throw this stuff together, you must just never sleep.

:D
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    Fractal, have you considered taking a few of the elements of the Resurgent-class, and sprinkling them in small amounts, one at a time, into your newer designs? Like the more integrated bridge/'longer' bridge (as in the bar of the 't' is nearly as long, front to back, as it is side-to-side), or how there's a partially exposed section extending far back between the upper & lower prow decks? But instead, say, adding that to the sides in places as 'trench' launch decks for smaller Imperial ships? Basically stuff that on its own doesn't point directly to TFA's ISD, but just a little nod here and there.

Note: I don't remember if you've previously expressed an opinion, good or bad (or neutral for that matter), on how the new Star Destroyer turned out. So if you hated it, I didn't know/remember.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Update:
    carrier11_6.jpg

This carrier design is much better than the one that turned up on Star Wars: Rebels this week.
    I like that Flurry version - I may even give that a shot at interpretation, now that it's supposedly an imperial origin ship. Still probably extremely low-end.

I might start working some Resurgent ideas in. Though I already have some models with the overbite/underbite. If/when I do the full dagger version of this ship, I might incorporate a Resurgent-like bow to it...

Carrier's almost done.

carrier11_8.jpg
    carrier11_9.jpg
    carrier11_10.jpg
    carrier11_11.jpg
    very cool
    Probably would be a good - from a tactical viewpoint (although realistically its going to be too small for us to see them) - to drop in a massive number of AA batteries between the prongs in the prow.

*pauses for a second. that sounded weird*

Anyways, simply so that hostile snubfighters can't just go racing between them and get a free shot at the various hangars in the main section of the hull. If they want to do a trench run on the carrier, they got to EARN it first.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    Barricade wrote: »
    Probably would be a good - from a tactical viewpoint (although realistically its going to be too small for us to see them) - to drop in a massive number of AA batteries between the prongs in the prow.

*pauses for a second. that sounded weird*
    Like this?
    811ouepn0VL._SY355_.jpg
    Well, at least I admitted it. :) :p
    Some idea of what the carrier's design pair might look like:

cruiser1.jpg
    cruiser2.jpg

Some gallery updates including new (large) orthos:
    bellator87-1024x640.jpg
    wrath241-1024x410.jpg
  • bradknowlesbradknowles0 Posts: 0Member

wrath241-1024x410.jpg

Wow. Gorgeous.

I know you've mentioned your commission rates, and that the result would be a high-res print suitable for framing on a wall. Have you given any thought to potential 3D output of your models? What about parts thereof?

For example, I would love to have in-hand a scale model of one of your Heavy Turbolasers. And the Light Turbolasers, too. And I'd be happy to pay some good money for them, on Shapeways or some other suitable site.

I don't know that I could afford a 3D output of any of your larger models, but depending on the prices, I might be able to afford some of the smaller ones like the Skipray, the Delta-class JV-7, or the Vigil-Class Corvette.

Just an idea.... Thanks!
    Hrmmmm....

I think you need to extend that raised ridge just little more towards the prow. As it stands it's upper view is way too close to the Bellator & Assertor. As in its a bit hard to tell the differences between the designs other then the Assertor is a bit more 'plump'.

Love the overhang on the prow, and the two side hangars
    ^I'll be extending the spine I think.

For 3d printing - we can talk about the turrets. Problem with Shapeways is that it's limited to 1million polygons per model. Mine are...usually bigger.

New 16-core machine: acquired.

Some new modeling to break it in:

str9.jpg
    str10.jpg
    str11.jpg
    str12.jpg
  • dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
    As per usual, mind blowing attention to detail on original (?) SW designs. Never found out how to detail and greeble so well, and so fast, most of the time, i'm stuck trying to figure out which greeble to model where...
    Another commission. Crusader-class Corvette.

crusader4.jpg
    crusader5.jpg
    crusader6.jpg
    crusader7.jpg
    crusader8.jpg
    crusader9.jpg
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Is this a private commission or for a company? Love the design of the corvette, has a bit of a brutal feel to it. Like a scar faced brawler. Could imagine bigger weapons emplacements on it for some reason.
    i need to see what the back ends up looking like. on the fence so far but the front looks cool.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Problem with Shapeways is that it's limited to 1million polygons per model. Mine are...usually bigger.
    You could always do things multi-part.

Do Shapeways mandate air-tight meshes? Typically modelling for 3D printing requires specifically planning for it from the get-go.