Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFalcon - Allied Hunter/Killer - The Detailing Continuums

• CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    Nope, think of it more how you would texture an environment, or how the EA ships from babylon 5, or even Galactica were textured.

cacysunlee, Road Warrior, Cyba_storm, thanks.

Lord Ravensburg, not for the moment, i'm happy enough with it... probably take another look at it when i add some more painted areas.

atomicship, its a detailed version of the defence turret, though i prefer the simple version.
    68727.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Nope, think of it more how you would texture an environment, or how the EA ships from babylon 5, or even Galactica were textured.

care to explain please?
  • jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
    She's a beauty Coolio! The texturing is realy great. Those shots are awesome. This is going to be killer.
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like a photo, Coolhand :)

Although...the dark areas (heatshield?) need some more elaborate texture...
    DAllidas, well how would you go about texturing an environment? for a game lets say, like a building in GTA or something as a simple example.

Jay, Dimitry. cheers, and yeh the thermal protection is a simple map and a basic shader for the time being. probably turn that into smaller tiles, either in a kind of diagonal brick pattern, like the shuttles TPS, or possibly hexagons - i think mikey b used hexagons for his dynasoar and they look more advanced than the brick patterns.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    DAllidas, well how would you go about texturing an environment? for a game lets say, like a building in GTA or something as a simple example.

Nice thing about Coolhand is he'll give you just enough information for you to go hunting on your own and improve your skills in the process.
  • PipPip171 Posts: 0Member
    Really nice textures! I like the 'rough worn metal' style it has. :thumb:(Which I find far more believable than 'rusted metal style')

Rivet # 64724 is out of alignment though...find & fix! :p
    pip, lol... thanks. keeping them aligned has been really tricky infact.

Mikey, yeh i don't know if thats nice so much, easier for me;) there are plenty of resources out there that explain these things better than i can.

btw by building i mean something along the lines of a skyscraper or large warehouse, not so much a small house. Essentially the idea is that you reuse your texture many times on the same model for different areas. the trick is to make it look like thats not what you're doing.;)
    68773.jpg
    Wow that is awesome. Did you UV it? Honestly that's how I'd go about texturing a building or environment, so I don't know if that's how you mean. I'd either UV it or UV it in a way that makes it tileable - so I don't know if that's the "right" way or the way you're talking about.
    Still, friggin gorgeous.
    Wow that is awesome. Did you UV it? Honestly that's how I'd go about texturing a building or environment, so I don't know if that's how you mean. I'd either UV it or UV it in a way that makes it tileable - so I don't know if that's the "right" way or the way you're talking about.
    Still, friggin gorgeous.

yes, thats exactly right. so you keep the amount of memory you need for textures to a minimum, yet still maintain a dense texture coverage. so if you get close up to the object the texture doesn't turn into a mess of pixels, or look obviously low-res.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Gods above, below, and behind the door but this thing is gorgeous!

And I love the hexagonal pattern on the nose. I agree that it looks more "futuristic" than cubical material would. I'd also bet on you being able to make a case for it being sturdier as well. I recall reading somewhere that the hexagon is the strongest possible frame design (but I might be mistaken, and I cannot recall where).

Regardless, mucho prettiness! <golf clap>

:thumb:
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Gods above, below, and behind the door but this thing is gorgeous!

.....I recall reading somewhere that the hexagon is the strongest possible frame design (but I might be mistaken, and I cannot recall where).

Regardless, mucho prettiness! <golf clap>

:thumb:
    I thought it was a dome and/or arch.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Looks great so far
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    And I love the hexagonal pattern on the nose. I agree that it looks more "futuristic" than cubical material would. I'd also bet on you being able to make a case for it being sturdier as well. I recall reading somewhere that the hexagon is the strongest possible frame design (but I might be mistaken, and I cannot recall where).
    Actually it is the triangle. Buckminster Fuller proved that (you might have heard about his geodetic domes and bucky-balls). But six triangles make a hexagon.

Fuller designed the Octet Truss, which you might have noticed on some NASA designs.
    Octet Truss
    Fuller's Octetruss
    Space frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    Dam I missed alot on this, but what I seen so far looks great.
    This ship will kick some comminist butt. :thumb:
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good mate.
    One thing that might enhance the effect is some small white scratches and black streaks horziontally on the hull. To show the effect of micro debris scratching off while going into an atmosphere. I think that will give it a great sense of speed.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Meph wrote:
    One thing that might enhance the effect is some small white scratches and black streaks horziontally on the hull. To show the effect of micro debris scratching off while going into an atmosphere. I think that will give it a great sense of speed.

Sounds like a good idea man.
    Sanderlee, thanks man... its a strong shape. whether that makes it any better than a different shape for a ceramic tile i've no idea.

Meph, it has those, they just aren't hugely noticable.

Thanks for the comments everone. Regarding the overall construction, if this were real then i'd describe it as having a semi-monocoque. most aviation & rocket designs are a monocoque of some sort of another. I guess this would be an assmbly of a number of different shells, fuselage & nacelles, all bolted together.

Here's another render, this is a metallic hull in space, so its got nothing to reflect other than black and sun making it look like a black diffuse material. The metal has a slight diffuse component thats getting some illumination from a dim skylight. looks kinda weird at the moment against the diffuse / none reflective materials and makes the hull look black(er) than it should, i think.

Also, been having loads of problems with crashes. after much investigation it turns out the fuselage peice was too much for the translator to handle as one continuous surface. after breaking the fuselage up into 4 different parts it works much better.
    68815.jpg
  • JonXJonX171 Posts: 0Member
    Oh wow, I think those current colors just scream Black Ops!!
    well its like i said, its not actually black... i mean it is, kinda, but its reflective and takes on the tone of its environment. We're more used to seeing quite flat shaded surfaces since they're much easier to light.

but yes that as a colour scheme would look pretty nice.

This render is the exact same setup, only with a light blue environment.
    68816.jpg
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    That's hot!! Looks brilliant.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Excellent work Steve. I notice you have added catfish "whiskers" ...sensor devices? Oh and those hexagonal tiles look cool too.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Great angle of the ship. The white ID on the ship's left side is mapped backwards though :p Map straight through the X did ya?
    heh. well kinda, all works out the same. if it really bothers ya, feel free to flip the image in photoshop or something;) i really can't be bothered to fix that for wips... stuff like that, anything assymetric, i leave to the end

RW, ozy, thanks and those 'whiskers' could either be sensors, or something to 'shape' the shockwave or both.
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    RW, ozy, thanks and those 'whiskers' could either be sensors, or something to 'shape' the shockwave or both.
    I read an SF novel where the spacecraft had "ionodes" on their leading edge. They were whisker shaped items that ionized the air when the spacecraft was entering the atmosphere. It more or less "shaped the shockwave", that it, gave fine control of the airflow over the wings.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    ok, now I'm curious to know how you tile textures on a shape like the nose. Do you UV unwrap the nose (for example) and use just one texture? Or do you break up the nose into several pieces, unwrap each piece and use a single texture for each? Inquiring minds want to know! :)
    you have to treat each panel like an individual part, you can recycle the same texture on each panel, but you can't just slap a cube uvmap on the whole thing and expect it to look any good. i may go and paint some of the bow with its own individual texture however.

as for the whiskers you could probably use them for manuvering, perhaps keeping the some of the heat off the hull... they could change configuration along with the wings and other control surfaces.
    just another render, a few tweaks here and there... new defense turrets, though there's a few problems with them. The outer 'petals' are the targeting sensors, and a collection of some kind of emitters reside within. I might reduce the number of sensors to 3, i think the 6 are overkill and give it a slightly pepper pot look.
    68943.jpg68946.jpg
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Kinda reminds me of the cap to a salt/pepper shaker. :p Digging the metal shader you're using for the hull of the ship. Has a cool sheen to it.
  • The new darker texture (or is that the lighting?) looks ace. I think the specular is too pronounced though there's not much spectrum or subtlety it just white's out on every edge which makes the sheen on the metal seem odd as it's obviously worn and a little dirty. Sorry for griping!