Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkyazi/Akula

• BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks so much. Haven't had a lot of time on it this week, but I hope to be on it again soon.
    I think I've only posted this on my log previously, but I thought it was far enough along to put up here.

One of my all time favorite designs from FASA, I've been revisiting my Northampton model for the past week or so. It's been in the blocking stages for years now, but I recently rebuilt my interchangeable primary hull in order to fix some inaccuracies that wouldn't stop bugging me, and I decided to test it in place with the Northampton's blocking which has been languishing for so long.

I managed to get past a modeling crux that had stumped me for years, and I've finally been able to move forward with some features I didn't feel comfortable tackling as long as the overall structure was so truly uncommitted. I long wanted to experiment with where the shuttlebay doors might go, and I finally have some in place! :D

I'll have to see what I can do from here, since a large portion of the lower structures will simply need to be rebuilt. Some of it is very sloppy. At least the next stage of blocking can be more detailed oriented. :)

northampton_18a.jpg?w=300&h=225

northampton_19.jpg?w=300&h=225

northampton_24a.jpg?w=300&h=225

northampton_22.jpg?w=300&h=225

northampton_23.jpg?w=300&h=225

I'm not entirely happy with the long narrow structure stretching from the impulse engines up to the center of the lower saucer section, but it'll stay for now until real refinement can begin.
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member
    Every once in a while I see a FASA design I hated in schematic form and say "Wow! That actually WORKS once it's in 3D!"

This is not one of those times.

Great job modeling it though.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • MasaoMasao0 Posts: 0Member
    I've always liked the shape of the ship as a sort of sculpture, but as a functioning starship, it's never made much sense to me. I can only assume there must be some serious warp fu going on in those nacelle supports. Good luck with the model!
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Beatiful work there Basil. I have to agree I am not a fan of the layout, but the modeling and lighting is superb!
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I disagree...I think this is a well designed model. It looks Great in 3D. Needs some detail and smoothing in certain areas like around the shuttle bays it has a real blocky fascade.
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    I must say I agree with Tallguy and Masao, even if I liked the design, it doesn't make much technical sense. But again, your modeling is looking great.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    The original Northampton Cruiser was the first ship with a "flight Deck" or hanger deck.

As for the Design that seems questionable it's quite defensible.
    The articulating nacelles and massive expanse allowed by the pylons are all positioned for Heavy Cargo duty We never see the under side of the main hull but it would likely have all manner of attachments for various containers or even affixing another ship to say...a constitution or miranda. The nacelles are placed farther back for proper coverage of additional mass and affixed on additional booms to avoid using the nacelles as a structural members. Even though this design doesn't show further articulation it's feasible that the booms could move closer to another ships secondary hull while the primary hull holds some physical point on another ships saucer.

This could tow major sections of Regula one into it's final construction position.
    Crane Helicopters have a similar design.
    http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/1x8349238/Sky_Crane_Helicopter_PIMA_Air_and_Space_Museum_J53-752134.jpg

This just goes to show you that back then these were not just artist but designers as well and much of the current art lacks that particular credibility as functional pieces.
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    The original Northampton Cruiser was the first ship with a "flight Deck" or hanger deck.

As for the Design that seems questionable it's quite defensible.
    The articulating nacelles and massive expanse allowed by the pylons are all positioned for Heavy Cargo duty We never see the under side of the main hull but it would likely have all manner of attachments for various containers or even affixing another ship to say...a Constitution or Miranda. The nacelles are placed farther back for proper coverage of additional mass and affixed on additional booms to avoid using the nacelles as a structural members. Even though this design doesn't show further articulation it's feasible that the booms could move closer to another ships secondary hull while the primary hull holds some physical point on another ships saucer.

This could tow major sections of Regula one into it's final construction position.
    Crane Helicopters have a similar design.
    http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/1x8349238/Sky_Crane_Helicopter_PIMA_Air_and_Space_Museum_J53-752134.jpg

This just goes to show you that back then these were not just artist but designers as well and much of the current art lacks that particular credibility as functional pieces.

I have to disagree with you, my main issue with the design is that it was designed in an era where it wasn't yet established how ships worked in Trek, so there isn't much space for the warp core, and the plasma has to travel a pretty long distance before reaching the nacelles, which means that it takes longer for the ship to reach warp speed, and to change speed or course once at warp.
    If the ship was designed to be a transport ship, this problems wouldn't be too important, but it would still be easier to just build a ship with a different configuration that wouldn't have this issues.

Anyway, there are other ways to explain it, maybe it was an experimental design with dual warp cores or something like that, it's a design that's still very original, and that isn't easy to achieve.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • MasaoMasao0 Posts: 0Member
    It doesn't matter to me whether the design is technically feasible or not. I've always considered Trek to have a heavy dose of technological fantasy (space dock? matter transport? seriously?). This is a nicely constructed model of a pre-existing design. I can enjoy it was what it is.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you, my main issue with the design is that it was designed in an era where it wasn't yet established how ships worked in Trek, so there isn't much space for the warp core, and the plasma has to travel a pretty long distance before reaching the nacelles, which means that it takes longer for the ship to reach warp speed, and to change speed or course once at warp.
    If the ship was designed to be a transport ship, this problems wouldn't be too important, but it would still be easier to just build a ship with a different configuration that wouldn't have this issues.

Anyway, there are other ways to explain it, maybe it was an experimental design with dual warp cores or something like that, it's a design that's still very original, and that isn't easy to achieve.

Plasma should only be a medium in the design to convey Electromagnetic energy. It shouldn't limit the speed for which the coils are powered. When the Enterprise saturated the coils with plasm I think it was only shutting down the purge vents and allowing the plasma to build up in the nacelles for a more thorough absorption of the energy.

Concordantly ships of the Galaxy and Excelsior have just as far to go as this ships. Northampton is only 300 meters long and is classified as a frigate.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1190 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,631Member
    Basill wrote: »
    I think I've only posted this on my log previously, but I thought it was far enough along to put up here.

One of my all time favorite designs from FASA, I've been revisiting my Northampton model for the past week or so. It's been in the blocking stages for years now, but I recently rebuilt my interchangeable primary hull in order to fix some inaccuracies that wouldn't stop bugging me, and I decided to test it in place with the Northampton's blocking which has been languishing for so long.

I managed to get past a modeling crux that had stumped me for years, and I've finally been able to move forward with some features I didn't feel comfortable tackling as long as the overall structure was so truly uncommitted. I long wanted to experiment with where the shuttlebay doors might go, and I finally have some in place! :D

I'll have to see what I can do from here, since a large portion of the lower structures will simply need to be rebuilt. Some of it is very sloppy. At least the next stage of blocking can be more detailed oriented. :)

northampton_18a.jpg?w=300&h=225

northampton_19.jpg?w=300&h=225

northampton_24a.jpg?w=300&h=225

northampton_22.jpg?w=300&h=225

northampton_23.jpg?w=300&h=225

I'm not entirely happy with the long narrow structure stretching from the impulse engines up to the center of the lower saucer section, but it'll stay for now until real refinement can begin.

Very nice work! This is one of my FASA favorites as well, and I'm glad to see it looks so good in 3D!
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,755Member
    Great work Basil.
    Northhampton has the same design ethic as Reliant. Now Abbe makes more sense structurally (looking like a pre-Nebula design), but Reliants flowing roll-bar bespeaks warp dynamical concerns-as if flowing lines are for more than looking pretty. FASA's Northhampton goes with this ethic well.

I haven't seen too much of the Decker class--though I think it might work better with Aventine like nacelles...

Maybe Decker would be your next project.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    publiusr wrote: »
    Maybe Decker would be your next project.

When he's ready for his next project I plan on hijacking him to build me a late-tmp era starship! :D

... ah, I just necro'd a thread! It was only on page 3!... sorry folks!
    Hey,

Long time no post, but I thought I would chime in with some of my recent stuff.

console_buttons_034a.jpg?w=300&h=225

console_buttons_035.jpg?w=300&h=225

console_buttons_036.jpg?w=300&h=225

Mostly concentrating on interior work lately and decided to jump back into a bridge. Just the science station partly up and running so far, but I'll soon have the communications and engineering stations completed. :D
    OOH really very nice! Also been looking over the other recent stuff on your blog too, quality work!
  • seanrseanr1408 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 635Member
    I look at work like this and I am forced to admit that I am being left behind. I am most impressed. I first started doing interiors fifteen years ago and now I see people surpassing my old work on a daily basis. I am simultaneously shamed for not continuing and keeping up and am in awe of the myriad ways you all are beating my old work. Keep it up - keep giving me reason after reason to come back here and gape. ;-)
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    seanr wrote: »
    I look at work like this and I am forced to admit that I am being left behind. I am most impressed. I first started doing interiors fifteen years ago and now I see people surpassing my old work on a daily basis. I am simultaneously shamed for not continuing and keeping up and am in awe of the myriad ways you all are beating my old work. Keep it up - keep giving me reason after reason to come back here and gape. ;-)
    Technology and the available tools have evolved, but don't forget that it was work like yours that inspired people to pursue this direction in the first place.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Lovely! love your control panels of this Era! So nice!

guess i need to get over to your blog more often!... again..
    Lovely! love your control panels of this Era! So nice!

guess i need to get over to your blog more often!... again..
    Thanks!
    seanr wrote: »
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Technology and the available tools have evolved, but don't forget that it was work like yours that inspired people to pursue this direction in the first place.

I couldn't agree more. Your work Sean, is one of the most influential on my own, and certainly inspired me to try harder. Heck, you and Lennier both have very special locations in my 3D reference folders ( I call them "inspiration folders" ;) ). I organize lots of amazing works I see onto my PC and iPad, and your images Sean, have their own sub categories! :D

Thanks for the kind words Sean, and you will always be the UberBrucken Meister in my book.
    Yeah you should post here more often, as I can't remember to look at your blog all the time :)

I think it's sufficient to say this stuff becomes circular. I have all 3 of your stuff in my inspiration folders :D and SeanR, start up again :D
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Basill wrote: »
    Hey,

Long time no post, but I thought I would chime in with some of my recent stuff.

console_buttons_034a.jpg?w=300&h=225

console_buttons_035.jpg?w=300&h=225

console_buttons_036.jpg?w=300&h=225

Mostly concentrating on interior work lately and decided to jump back into a bridge. Just the science station partly up and running so far, but I'll soon have the communications and engineering stations completed. :D

Oh, my... :eek!:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804619 Posts: 11,191Member
    Wow, that bridge is looking fantastic so far. :thumb:

It's nice to see you're still at it after all of these years. I remember this project from nearly 6 years ago (it will be 6 years in November.)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1190 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,631Member
    Amazing work on the bridge!
    Thanks guys. I started working on the panels for the engineering station last night but I didn't get very far, as I didn't spend a lot of time on Lightwave or my computer. I did UV in some surfaces on a few of them using some older textures I'd used on earlier engineering consoles, but I never completed all of the textures and I'd like to update the earlier versions as well. It was a start though. I'll try and get some more up in the next few days.
    Started working on the engineering station, working mostly on the imagery for the control and monitor panels' uv surfaces. Also, I fixed the hand rail supports, as they are supposed to flare out slightly near their platform attachments. Finally, I installed that curved molding that runs along the base of the bridgeA’s entire outer wall sections, and began putting in the recessed areas of the overhangs which house greeble panels and a few spotlights. I've got a lot more work to do on the engineering panel uv surfaces and I'll probably begin on the overhang greeble features tonight.

movie_bridge_005a.jpg?w=300&h=225

movie_bridge_006.jpg?w=300&h=225
    Mind = Blown!

Excellent sir! Love this Era of panels :) doing great work, as always, Sir!
    Thanks!

Here is a bit more of a stand back shot showing the greeble panels and recessed lighting contained in the soffit like overhangs. That lighting that didn't appear to be utilized much until The Search for Spock, if that was even the intended function of those bucket like features on the greeble panels.

movie_bridge_007.jpg?w=300&h=225

All the lights are currently glowing, but they should only be lit in an alternating on/off pattern according to screen shot references, so I'll fix that on subsequent renders as I continue. Decking now needs its textures before I get too far along with other sections, and I am looking forward to getting part of the ceiling elements in place, especially the radiating fin structures. I can then get back to the communications station and possible finish the other two, only to begin on the helm & navigation. :argh:
    .... Remember.. it will be done some day.. :rolleyes:

Nice sir! Good luck on the rest!
    "Someday..." That's an ear worm I could've avoided today. ;)

But alas, hopefully, yes it will be done at a future undisclosed point in time.

I move along that temporal continuity by adding in elements of the communications station and beginning on deck plating surface details. Oh, and in case it wasn't apparent, now you know what deck you are on. ;)

movie_bridge_008a.jpg?w=300&h=225