Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkyazi/Akula

1262728293032»

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Very nice. I've always liked the modular look of those style rooms. :thumb:
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I've always admired your movie era work. And those are great quarters.

But can you imagine living in them for five years?
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    Very nice. I've always liked the modular look of those style rooms. :thumb:

Thanks! Yeah, I tend to love modularity too. :D

Jenny wrote: »
    I've always admired your movie era work. And those are great quarters.

But can you imagine living in them for five years?

Thanks. Well, I certainly can't imagine being happily sequestered away in them for any significant length of time. But given that huge view screen and maybe a few more personal amenities I've yet to add, it'd probably make the perfect off-duty man-cave for me! :)

Now that smaller version Ilia and the junior officers were supposedly squished into... that might be a tad tight even for me.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann697 Posts: 1,340Member
    Well, that's why they made that giant recreation hall in the first movie. A few rounds of wireframe airplane or light-up cubes will totally take your mind off things.
    Some new touches. Added the comm console and some mechanical panels to the entry foyer.

tmp_oq_015b.jpg?w=300&h=225

tmp_oq_014.jpg?w=300&h=225

tmp_oq_013.jpg?w=300&h=225

tmp_oq_007e1.jpg?w=300&h=225

tmp_oq_012a.jpg?w=300&h=225

tmp_oq_011b.jpg?w=300&h=225
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804598 Posts: 11,184Member
    Two updates in 10 days? Watch out, you're becoming a regular again. :p ;)

Great stuff, as always. The comm console looks great and I really like how the bunk is shaping up. :)
    Two updates in 10 days? Watch out, you're becoming a regular again. :p ;)

Heh, I wish, but not likely. Just a little burst of energy before an upcoming cruise.
    Great stuff, as always. The comm console looks great and I really like how the bunk is shaping up. :)

Thanks! I've been wanting to do this for some years now, but just kept putting it off. But you can only look at screen caps and let your mind plot all the points and polygons for so long. ;)

tmp_oq_009e1.jpg?w=300&h=225

tmp_oq_015c2.jpg?w=300&h=225

console_007.jpg?w=300&h=225

Still working on those surface settings for the control section, but making progress. Lots of luminosity mixed with shiny colored transparencies... It's an interesting experiment.
    Good progress. Realistic materials like these can be a real pill in 3D and definitely require a lot of trial and error.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    One of the things that haunted TOS user interfaces... a lack of labels for what lights mean, or switches switch. Which is not a comment on your modeling, but on the original design... which you have copied faithfully and well.
    Yeah, that always bugged me too. How are you going to have a cadet on your bridge (or even bridge simulator) just pushing things and hoping they remember the correct buttons to push? No. No way in hell is that happening. Fortunately, when they started having the Okudagram interfaces, stuff finally got labels.
    Jenny wrote: »
    One of the things that haunted TOS user interfaces... a lack of labels for what lights mean, or switches switch. Which is not a comment on your modeling, but on the original design... which you have copied faithfully and well.
    Yeah, that always bugged me too. How are you going to have a cadet on your bridge (or even bridge simulator) just pushing things and hoping they remember the correct buttons to push? No. No way in hell is that happening. Fortunately, when they started having the Okudagram interfaces, stuff finally got labels.

Yeah, I just responded to a comment on my blog about the mysterious function of this particular console and its labels, which are clearly visible in the the first two films, though almost completely illegible.

While I do chalk some of it up to "memory" (not unlike keys on a musical instrument) for TOS, I always assumed we just couldn't see what few labels were applied on and around bridge buttons, given the poor image quality of 60's television. The movie sets unquestionably had more labels, though most are nearly as unreadable on screen.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    They very probably did have labels on the buttons, but were not visible on camera. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151654663496104&set=a.10151654663416104.1073741967.570346103&type=3&theater
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    If you read Doug's comment under that picture those labels were added at a much later date and that the original unlabeled buttons looked very much like jelly beans.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    There's simply no way to tell without high resolution closeups of the buttons themselves. It's a fair assumption to make, although not a certainty.