Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkyazi/Akula

• BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks. I built the shuttles originally about 10 years ago when I was working on some Starbase 11 shots I wanted to envision. They were sort of updated versions of Starbase 11 based on TOS and movie era architecture and a video game called Star Trek: New Worlds (which was all about setting up colonies). All I had at the time was a program called Raydream Designer but I liked what I was able to accomplish with it. A few years later when I first got Lightwave I went and rebuilt everything for that more expansive program, and these were the shuttles. They are a cross between Movie Era and TNG. I've never managed to give them nacelles, and I think I just decided I liked them better like that. I never really finished the shots in Lightwave, but maybe I'll play with them again someday.
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,755Member
    They don't need nacelles. I want to see some impulse only shuttles used for base/planetary support anyway.
    I agree, Though I'll eventually put nacelles on some version.

Here's just some fun I had with the latest image. There are a few updates to the models, but my most fun yesterday was a little post render processing, simulating the workbee and cargo train passing through the exterior door's environmental shields.

cargo_maintenance_007b.jpg?w=300&h=168

I remember reading in some source years ago that the shielding in use on the Enterprise's shuttle bay in The Motion Picture worked one way; One could pass from the vacuum of space into the bay with no difficulty, but would be blocked from exiting, as was the internal atmosphere. Naturally, this was only partial convenience. I'm not sure how accurate this is canonically, but I thought I would employ this version as a sort of early two-way-model. The Earth Spacedock almost certainly has this feature on duty. I like to think the early models show more "buzz" when vehicles pass. ;)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    I would say that the force field would be set to 14 psi ( atmospheric pressure (at sea level) and anything above that pressure could move through so vehicles, men etc could get through, but not air..

Love the effect! wish they had the budget to do that more often!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Sweet work here, man. :)
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Very cool updates Basil. I am also doing the interior of my shuttlebay too, and hopefully I will have something to show for it too soon! :)

I like your subtle shielding effects. You could probably achieve that by using an occlusion/dirt shader plugged into the transparency channel, modulated by a bit of texturing.

no idea about the 1-way thing, but it's been seen to work both ways in most of the shows, so if it's canonical, it's been since disregarded, or deprecated. I guess it's your call.
    I'd personally argue, that the one-way version has a pendant that works in inversed way, with the TNG-versions being technologically advanced enough to unify these two systems into one.
    Thanks guys. I tried searching for the source of that "one-way force field" concept, and I only found one fan site that corroborated it, but they didn't refer to the source. My memory suspects it was from Mr. Scott's Guide To The Enterprise but I wouldn't swear to it. At any rate, this one is newer tech and allows for the double passage, but is still relatively new by Movie Era standards. It would be a breeze (no pun intended) for the TNG folks.

Tobian: I actually contemplated doing the effect in-render, and I'll certainly explore the option; I would have to if I ever wanted to animate it. But since this was just for a bit of pure fun, it is totally in post render using Photoshop. I really just wanted to see what I could get away with. ;)
    Cargo walls beginning to take root, and I've had to readjust the scale of the cargo pods and workbees.

cargo_maintenance_014.jpg?w=300&h=168

cargo_maintenance_015.jpg?w=300&h=168
    oooh!! a Bee hive!!! :)

looking good sir!!
    So sweet. I really like it.
    Looking really cool Basil! How are you doing the lighting? Radiosity or are there some lights in there too?
    Thanks guys.

Tobian: All radiosity at this stage. There are no external lights in this scene's layout, which basically focuses on the maintenance bay. The full model renders have several exterior light sources, a bright distant light and a couple of much dimmer dome lights for fill (one of those is the "lavender space" glow). Someday I'll start considering a few spot lights for the functionality of the station.
    Added little more detailing, and I've established a location for workbee docks in this outer bay, though no details yet.

cargo_maintenance_020.jpg?w=300&h=168

cargo_maintenance_021.jpg?w=300&h=168

cargo_maintenance_023.jpg?w=300&h=168
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Uhh, in that last pic, it seems that the drivers for the three workbees by the wall were drunk on duty . . .
    Looks Great Basil!!! wish i could do Interiors like that! Could we get a Wireframe (if you can??)
    Thanks.

LockeFP: Definitely drunk. The pilots have been suspended and there will be a formal inquiry.

Valkyrie: Well, wireframes aren't really my favorite, but here's a little something. How's this with multiple levels of transparency for context?

wireframe_001.jpg?w=300&h=168

wireframe_002.jpg?w=300&h=168

wireframe_003.jpg?w=300&h=168

(The original)
    cargo_maintenance_020.jpg?w=300&h=168
    works for me.. Thanks!!
    Basil, you're doing it wrong, this is what you do when people ask for wires of massive high res meshes http://comby.star-fleet.org/test163-wires.png :p

Looks superb, but the closer we look, the more those big windows want to have some simple interiors inside there! :D Extremely efficient looking mesh! :D
    tobian wrote: »
    Basil, you're doing it wrong, this is what you do when people ask for wires of massive high res meshes http://comby.star-fleet.org/test163-wires.png :p

Wow! Dude, with my brain that's like a seizure waiting to happen! LOL. Though knowing me, I'll probably search through every pixel trying to absorb the beauty of it. I'll make sure it was a good grand mal. ;) (btw... show off :p ;) )
    Looks superb, but the closer we look, the more those big windows want to have some simple interiors inside there! :D Extremely efficient looking mesh! :D

Yes, they call to me like sirens in the night. And like cream filled donuts, I have been contemplating their delicious interior for a while now. But... must... resist... for now.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    basil, seriously awesome!
    Thanks Homer.

I started on a new cargo bay element that can be added to my collection for future use. It's the Anti-grav forklift. It is only the most basic version of the concept, meant to be seen at a good distance within the maintenance bay, but it is a start.

antigrav_forklift-001.jpg?w=300&h=168

Something similar is seen briefly in the establishing shot of the cargo bay scene in TMP. I've had to improvise some features since I can't make out all the details from screen shots, and the low-poly nature of the model makes it fairly primitive. I plan to do that for a number of background items though.

antigrav_forklift-004a.jpg?w=300&h=168

antigrav_forklift-006.jpg?w=300&h=168

cargo_maintenance_031c.jpg?w=300&h=168

I've also installed some "drunk-proof" parking for the workbees LockeFP. :D

The observation windows still call to me Tobian. ;)
    Such nice clean radiosity. It's the upside for using huge areas of luminous polygon, they just don't look as interesting to look at directly. A battle I constantly face! I like your little anigrav lifters. it's really going to make the scene look cool in compositions close to the bay!
    The second image startled me... Looked like an allied Construction Base ouf of Red Alert 2.... ;)
    Nice sir! is there a seat on the forklifts? or are they automated??

great addition!
    Thank's guys.

Tobian: Thanks. The battle goes on.

Aresius: Interesting. Never heard of that one, though I'm not much of a gamer. I looked at some imagery. It looks like a strategy game, and even reminded me of Star Trek: New Worlds. That game was pretty, but kinda lame too.

Valkyrie:Andrew Probert's original matte rendering appears to have a pilot, and thus a seat. The final version used in the movie appears to have the seat but the pilot must have been in the restroom when Kirk came aboard. I don't have any modeled people worth looking at at present, so mine is currently automated. ;)
    Your understanding is quite accurate. However RA2 (Command&Conquer universe, maybe that is more familiar) is ore fast-paced and has a nicer tech-tree...
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    it's also one of the better designed games out there.
    most of the older ones are, not to mention, they play better too.
    This one's for Tobian. ;) I had a different angle rendering when I left home (outside looking in), but I thought I'd go ahead and put this one up before I post anything on the blog.

cargo_maintenance_032.jpg?w=300&h=168

Still early, but the observation deck has a minimal interior now. :D

I changed some of the surface settings for the cargo pods yesterday, and was really pleased with the results. But, I failed to alter the one still attached to the workbee train, as I forgot they were in a separately loaded file. I changed those surfaces last night before this render, but I don't care for the results on the cargo train itself (which I now realize was never given it's own surface.) Looks like I'll have to go into the master file and tweak the settings to get some better contrast. I really love how the cargo pod's rounded metal exterior finally looks, but all the flat "crisscross" faces and the cargo train itself, should all have independent surfaces I think.
    do the internals need to be bright white? ( i know ur just starting on them.. just saying :) ) looks to clinical/hospitally.. :) some red light maybe ?? on some of em?

looking great sir!