Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreak's Trek Build's

• seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Looks good, but am I understanding correctly that the impulse engines are built into the door? That doesn't seem to make much sense...
    Freak
  • count23count23359 Posts: 778Member
    Looks good, I personally have always retconned that as it's not a door, it's just a service panel/segment that's removable.
    Freak
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    edited October 2020 #304
    Thanks guys.

@seanr, I use to think it was a door as well. But on the model itself had the impulse engine there.
    It was pointed out the front the shuttle was actually the main door. (thought we never seen this is action on the show.

If you look at the picture below you can see the seem of the door.

shuttle7-inside2-bobw.jpg

Below is Andrew Probert drawing on how the door would open. Below that is a concept art of the door in action.

shuttle7-probert-door.jpg
    sotl11.jpg

Post edited by Freak on
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Great progress! Love that you're going with the originally intended placement for the decals, they look so much better than the ones we eventually got.
    BolianAdmiralFreak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,558Member
    I wish someone would model that whatchamawhazzit craft between the two shuttles...
    Freak
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,279Member
    I wish someone would model that whatchamawhazzit craft between the two shuttles...
    Didn't Andrew even work with someone to make a physical model out of that design?
    I believe it was called the "sphinx" workpod or something. I'd have to look into it.

I still reckon the front cockpit is "fixable" in canon by making it flip up like i diagrammed it a few days ago.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited October 2020 #309
    The Sphinx is different... that's the all-yellow ship. deg3D built a model of her for one of the calendars, I believe.
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    publiusr
    Okay guys, time for your option.
    As I stated in my last up date, I was putting the decals partly in line with the concept art.
    However, I have run into an issue. The first picture is the placement for the NCC that is on the concept.
    The Second is placed in a slightly different location.

With the concept version. part of the reg is on a panel and the other part is on the main hull giving it this funky look when looked at this angle and from a similar angle when looking form the rear. when looking at it side on it is fine.

The second option placement is fully on the panel so no matter witch angle you look at it does not look cut up.

option-2.png

option-1.png

So which version should I go with?
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiral
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    I like it fully on the panel myself.
    rojrenFreak
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    second, definitly.
    Freak
    I’d go with the top option, but both look good.
    Freak
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972320 Posts: 1,201Member
    Second.
    Freak
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    I second the second.
    Freak
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Probably a bit late for imput now but I'd go with number 2 aswell.. the first one seems like it would interfere with the red strip or look a bit messy at the back..
    Freak
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    We saw it was quite common on shuttles seeing just the number without the 'NCC-', so how about the first alternative, but with only '1701-D'? That would keep the placement from the concept, while making it fit on just the panel. :)
    Freak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks Peeps, I was leaning that way myself until..
    Rekkert wrote: »
    We saw it was quite common on shuttles seeing just the number without the 'NCC-', so how about the first alternative, but with only '1701-D'? That would keep the placement from the concept, while making it fit on just the panel. :)

That's not a bad idea, I give it a go and see what it look like.
    Jayru
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    IMO, I think the registry should be on the pylon, just below the door, towards the stern. That would avoid steps interfering with the numbers as well as sill being readable when the door is open. Nothing worse than not knowing which shuttle you are assigned to. ;)
    So I tired @Rekkert suggestion but it was not really working for me , with that I have decided to go with option 2.

I have gone back and fixed the issues I was having with the front RCS. I made the nozzles shorter and I think they look much better for it. I have also modelled some details to the bottom of the shuttle, which is something we have never really seen clearly on screen and Andrew Probert concept drawing don’t have a bottom angle. So I did my own thing and borrowed a few greebles off my Runabout and placed them here.

I have also add some decals going mostly with concept drawing. All in all I happy with the way this turned out even if it was a pain in the start.

201027-type-7-shuttle-00.png?w=1024
    201027-type-7-shuttle-01.png?w=1024
    201027-type-7-shuttle-04.png?w=1024
    201027-type-7-shuttle-03a.png?w=1024
    201027-type-7-shuttle-03.png?w=1024
    201027-type-7-shuttle-06.png?w=1024
    201027-type-7-shuttle-05.png?w=1024

Next is to knock out some pictures with this girl, and then move on to doing the Oberth Class.
    lewisnivenrojrenJayruashleytingerLizzy777BolianAdmiralsrspicer
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    thats a cool model, nice work
    Freak
    Thanks Lewis, glad you like it.
  • JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    Very nice work, lovely model.
    Freak
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    I always thought that the coca cola font for the names was an odd choice.... but I guess if you're just spraying stencils onto the sides of shuttles you've got to liven your day up a little bit...

this looks great tho, and suits the D better than that tiny box shuttle that they had to use through most of tng :)
    @markmassey it goes back to the names on the shuttle for TOS.
    They did not use it in TNG, but I though it would look good on this shuttle so went with it. I think it looks better with it than going with the stanard
    oh no I get it was the 60's :) and probably referencing the art on aircraft... I wasn't saying it as a negative... I just always thought the fancy writing looks kind of out of place on the blocky Galileo type shuttle... when you compare how utilitarian the rest of the designs were..

but like i said you can imagine the person on the production line thinking, you know I'm sick of this and spraying some fancy text instead of programing the standard star fleet font into the stencil...

Also adds a bit of personality to each one.. which probably isn't bad when you're booking one for an away mission.... :)
    Freak
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972320 Posts: 1,201Member
    Very nice. I do find it odd that such a curvy design has blocky nacelles though. Haha.
    Freak
    Well I have been saying that I need to build this for a while and now I have finally started. I have blocked out all the main parts, and started working on the saucer. This has been rebuilt about 4 times due to stupid mistake and issues with what size the ship is meant to be.

So the hangers/ cargobays are larger than a deck height but that is to be expected due to the size of a shuttle. I have taken my Type 6 shuttle to make sure it will fit thought the hanger door and it does. The Type 6 shuttle from TNG is the same height as the one seen in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. It’s just a little shorter.

The Oberth saucer is meant to have 3 decks in the saucer. Due to the scale and shape. I have been able to put three decks in but only just. If you look at the second picture you can see where the decks are meant to be. The decks are 2.2 meters in height and the gap in-between is .5 meters. Which gives you room for the tech in-between decks and Jeffries Tubes, etc. I could play around with the deck size but not much as I would have to remodel the windows and they where a bitch to put in the first time round. Also the Bridge dome is not high enough to be a deck on it own.

Not sure if I should some details to that bridge dome, as it look a little plain. (The original model was also plain there.)

I am next going to work the secondary primary hull. No data on how many decks are meant to be in here, but from what I can see there only enough room for 1 deck plus plenty of room internal workings. So I will leave it at that.

201206-oberth-00-1.png?w=1024

201206-oberth-01-1.png?w=1024

201206-oberth-02-1.png?w=1024

201206-oberth-03-1.png?w=1024

201206-oberth-04.png?w=1024
    omnipotentWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BolianAdmiralpubliusrlewisniven
    I have a pile of refs of the studio model if you're interetsed, let me know. Oberth was on my "to model next" list, actually... someone may as well use hte refs while i can't :)
    BolianAdmiral
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    @count23 I sent you an PM.