Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreak's Trek Build's

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Just a small update.
    I have blocked out all the main components. This little ship is now ready to start getting detailed.
    I am going to start off the nacelles and then most likely move onto doing the main cockpit area.
    This should be a interesting build as this ship has lots of hull panels.

200406-runabout-00.png

200406-runabout-01.png

200406-runabout-02.png

200406-runabout-03.png

200406-runabout-04.png

200406-runabout-05.png
    evil_genius_180RekkertWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777P5ych0p4thBrandenbergBolianAdmiral
    I have modelled all the external parts of the nacelles. I have just slapped on place holder materials.
    I am happy with the way it has turned out, though work is still not done.
    I need to model the Bussard collector. As we have never actually seen this I think I going to go with a mixture of what was shown in the Deep Space Nine Technical Manual and bower some ideas form Madkoifish, as he has come up with some excellent designs over the years.

So with this in mind, it will mean having to add some texture as well. I am thinking of texturing this as I go along. Instead of modelling everything then go back.
    From the other stuff I have done, it always looks a little flat.
    So any Blender heads out there that can give me ideas on how to make it really pop, I would be grateful.

With that said onto the Pictures.

200408-runabout-00.png

200408-runabout-01.png

200408-runabout-02.png

200408-runabout-03.png

200408-runabout-04.png
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thMadKoiFishlewisnivenashleytingerLizzy777Zhor2395BolianAdmiralBrandenberg
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member
    that's looking great, top work.
    Freak
    Thanks @lewisniven

Okay, I done very basic Bussard collector, as it will be hidden behind the dome and never seen properly, I have not bothered to put a lot of details into.

Though the outline of it is looking okay for the moment.
    I have put a red glass with a slight red gloss on it.
    The glow on Bussard is a yellowy orange and I am happy with the colours, but something still not sitting right with me.

For the grill I have give it a dark blue glass colour with a gloss.
    For light behind I have gone with a pink, this has given it a really nice look coming though the blue glass. Again it not really popping for me.

I'll post picture of it soon, but I still need to do the Nav lights and add a final material for the nacelle. But before I do this RW work is calling and I need to crack on with that for a few hours.
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member
    The bussards are all the the material that you use for the cover imo. Simple glowing orange domes behind it are fine, it's all about how that diffuses out that sells the effect. Id personally not make it very glossy, as in have the roughness quite high, and make sure you give it thickness so that there's refraction of the dome light behind it. I use a large scale noise texture over the top too just to break the colour up a little bit, a subtle cloud effect basically, then a to of transmission roughness to give it that frosted look.

gst2v9ak0p58.png
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralkadenFreak
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    Sweet work... I’ve always liked the runabouts.
    Freak
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    This is the only known canon shot of hte inside of a runabout bussard collector:
    http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/2x17/playing_god_059.jpg

Also was somewhat damaged by an impact, so not particularly helpful i reckon.
    Freak
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited April 2020 #189
    RW work took longer than I though and I am not done.
    So I did not get a chance to get to work on this. Will do shortly.

@lewisniven, thanks that was very helpful.

@BolianAdmiral, Thank you. The runabout is one of my favourite ships.
    I could actually see this also being modified for Civilian use within the Federation.

@count23, Yeah not particularly helpful but thank you for posting it.
    Post edited by Freak on
    The nacelles are now done and proper materials have been added.
    I know I said I was going to do a detailed Bussard Collector, while modelling it and putting the cover over it.
    All the details I had worked on could not be seen and would never would be. So a stripped all the details out and kept the basic shape to save on un-needed Verts.

So here are a couple of lighting test.
    the first is just the nacelles and the Second is with the rest of the runabout added, though it did not make much of a difference.
    Just some reflection of the main hull. Once I have add a proper Materials to it, hopefully look much better.

200410-runabout-00.png

200410-runabout-01.png

Here is what it looks like with the lights on. Over all I am happy with the way it has turned out, though I am not completely sold on the Grey Hull material. What do you guys think.

200410-runabout-02.png

200410-runabout-03.png

200410-runabout-04.png

200410-runabout-05.png

Next I will be working on the winglets and we will see where we go from there.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2012 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    I remember them being a little brighter than that grey but I don't have any references in front of me.
    Freak
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    Yeah, the Runabout is actually a kind of light beige color.
    Freak
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited April 2020 #193
    danube-christies1.jpg

It depends on the lighting. This is it at auction. It looks like it's that light blue color color scheme that was prevalent on a number of TNG era ships. The beige effect may come from warm lighting. Of course, on screen they look gray.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Freak
    I remember them being a little brighter than that grey but I don't have any references in front of me.

Yeah I got it too dark, it was a more off white/grey on screen.
    Though as Chris says below, it also depended on the lighting of the scene it was in.
    danube-christies1.jpg

It depends on the lighting. This is it at auction. It looks like it's that light blue color color scheme that was prevalent on a number of TNG era ships. The beige effect may come from warm lighting. Of course, on screen they look gray.

If I remember correctly they did the blue color, color scheme because it would show up grey when filming it.
    It all came down to the film stock they where using at the time.

Yeah, it all came down to how it appeared on screen due to the technology they were using. With the lighting and film they used, if they painted in light blue tones, it came up as gray on screen.

emissary285.jpg
    I have started work on the cockpit area.
    Cutting out main windows was real pain to get right, but I am really happy with the way it turned out.
    I have modelled the winglets and also the gabbles that are just above them. That took a few try’s to get right.
    Though when added the details for the blocks that goes round the hull at the back of the cockpit, it was far easier to do.
    I have also modelled the bottom area where that cut out is. Put the gabbles in and this turn out far better than I expected.
    Materials have been add.

All that is left to do for the cockpit is add the gabbles to the top and cut in the panels.
    Then I can move onto the next area.

200413-runabout-00.png

200413-runabout-01.png

200413-runabout-02.png

200413-runabout-03.png

200413-runabout-04.png

200413-runabout-05.png
    lewisnivenashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryP5ych0p4thJayruLizzy777evil_genius_180commandersozoMadKoiFishBrandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2012 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    Are you doing up a rough interior or are you going to rely on the windows blocking some of that?

This looks great by the way.
    JayruFreak
  • JayruJayru1073 UKPosts: 674Member
    For a small ship she has a lot of detail. Looking good.
    Freak
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    edited April 2020 #199
    Thanks Peeps.
    Are you doing up a rough interior or are you going to rely on the windows blocking some of that?

This looks great by the way.

when I started this I did not have any plans to do it. But given that I put so much work into this and there is a tone more just on the front section alone.
    It would be a shame not too. It will also be my first proper interior.
    It will be interesting to see if I can get everything in there and keep it to scale.
    Jayru wrote: »
    For a small ship she has a lot of detail. Looking good.

Well it was the hero ship for the first three seasons so it needed that detail unlike the shuttles seen in the other shows.

Post edited by Freak on
    Okay I think I can now say that the cockpit area is done.
    The Hull Grey material that is currently on won’t be final. Looking at reference photos, it looks like the different panel have a different shades. So I am going to knock up a different colours to be added so that it keeps that look.

I have added micro torpedo launchers under the main cockpit. Official they sit in winglets, but I never liked that. Going off the Deep Space Nine Technical Manual the Micro Torpedo is only 12 centimetre’s in length. Which would do nothing to a normal size ship with a full shields.
    Especially when a full size torpedo (Which slightly larger than a person. As seen in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.)
    So with that in mind I made mine larger and because of this it won’t fit into the winglets. This is why I have moved it.

200416-runabout-00.png

200416-runabout-01.png

200416-runabout-02.png

200416-runabout-03.png

200416-runabout-04.png

200416-runabout-05.png
    P5ych0p4thashleytingerLizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180Brandenberg
    This is looking fantastic, Dean. :)
    Freak
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Wow, where did you get all the details for the underside like that? I never managed to find any studio model shots of it. looks great.
    Freak
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Nice job on that runabout! I always loved those in DS9. I had the scale model as a kid,which had fanstastic detail almost like the show model. I'm getting flashbacks!
    Freak
    edited April 2020 #204
    Thanks guys.
    count23 wrote: »
    Wow, where did you get all the details for the underside like that? I never managed to find any studio model shots of it. looks great.

Yeah refrance picture for the bottom are not that common.
    So I have been using two picture of the model Tobias Richter's did.

9a9ad1a4ece5237c8d9b918f2f24f760.jpg

6ffc4f5dee8e348344dedf425819fa2e.jpg

I also found Jackill datasheets around the web, which is what I have been using to model the Runabout.
    I don't have all of them. They are out there if you do a search but most tend to be off low quality that they are unusable.

XKlve.jpg

Post edited by Freak on
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    This is really great work. Congratulations.
    Freak
    Thanks @Brandenberg

Okay I was looking over the blue prints and I noticed that I made a mistake with the panel on the bottom of the nose.

So here it is corrected.

fixed.png
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    This is looking really really sweet! Are you going to incorporate the modualrity? I always found this to be a really cool aspect of those but we sadly never got to see moduels swapped on screen ...

mxld55pvjpxx.jpg
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryFreak
    That's looking great, Dean. I agree with P5ych0p4th, doing the ship in the modular fashion that it was designed would be sweet. It was probably cost prohibitive to do that on the show.
    Freak
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Oh man Tobias Richter....is he still around??
    Freak
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    @japetus

I read, that he‘s part of the vfx department of the Orville.
    Freak
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    @japetus

I read, that he‘s part of the vfx department of the Orville.
    Tobias still has his own VFX studio in Cologne, Germany (http://www.thelightworks.com/), but he and his company do a lot of contract work for CBS, Paramount and other clients in the industry (like his models for the TNG Blu-ray remaster effects).

Freak