Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreak's Trek Build's

• japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    @japetus

I read, that he‘s part of the vfx department of the Orville.
    Tobias still has his own VFX studio in Cologne, Germany (http://www.thelightworks.com/), but he and his company do a lot of contract work for CBS, Paramount and other clients in the industry (like his models for the TNG Blu-ray remaster effects).

That's awesome, glad he's able to use his mad spaceship skills for $$.
    Freakpubliusr
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    This is looking really good. I never gave much thought to the runabout, but this is making me appreciate it.
    Freak
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is looking really really sweet! Are you going to incorporate the modualrity? I always found this to be a really cool aspect of those but we sadly never got to see moduels swapped on screen ...

mxld55pvjpxx.jpg

@P5ych0p4th, I never planed on do it.
    The main hull, warp sled pylons and nacelles are all separate objects at the moments. I did cut the cockpit away from the rear so I could add in the panels. It would not take much to cut the module section out and have it hot swappable. But I think that need to be something to come back to, I also can't see on the filming model where separation between that rear area and the module is.

Given that we only saw one module attached, I would say that all the external look of them is the same.
    As for the pod that attaches to the top, will I be modelling that. Yes I will.
    I might do other version of it too. It been awhile since I read the DS9 Tech Manual, but I beleave other that the weapons pod which we saw in the show there where other.

I think the other pods where meant to be:-
    Larger sensor Array.
    An AWAC pod like the one seen on the Nebula class ships.
    Short Range Comm Relay deployment station. (This would have been handy once communication though the wormhole was achieved. It would have also be used before a larger Starship could come along a install a normal sized Comm Relay.)

I agree with @evil_genius_180 that it a shame we never got to see the modules being swap on the show. But he right it mostly likely that it was due to cost of building the model. Once the show had gone fully CG toward it end, there was no need for it.

lennier1 wrote: »
    Tobias still has his own VFX studio in Cologne, Germany (http://www.thelightworks.com/), but he and his company do a lot of contract work for CBS, Paramount and other clients in the industry (like his models for the TNG Blu-ray remaster effects).

Yeah Tobais is a very busy these days.
    He meet Robert Mayer Burnett, though his work on the TNG Blu-rays.
    RMB then hired him to do work on the Axanar fan project. He did all the FX work on Prelude to Axanar and started FX work on the main film before CBS and Paramount sued Alex Peters.
    Robert Mayer Burnett was meant to direct the feature film, and stayed with Peters during the case.
    Once it was over, Burrnett and Peters had a falling out on how to progress given the guidelines there now had to work form.

Robert Mayer Burnett has posted on his Web page everything he had planned to do if the law suit never happened. It has a bunch of Tobais work there as well so you can check that out here.
    https://theburnettwork.net/channel-info/deconstructing-axanar/

Tobais Still works with RMB and last year worked on a short called Sky Fighter, that can be seen on the Dust channel on YouTube (video below.) Sky Fighter is a proof of concept film and the hope is that it will get picked up to made into a full feature length film and Tobais and his company will be brought back to do the FX work.
    He also did a small scene in a film called Tango Shalom (still to be realised), though it not showing in his credits on IMDB.

• publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    You don’t see a lot of tall craft that are depicted as flying in a vertical fashion.
    The Iconian ships in STO—the Axiom from WALL-E and Berkerly
    I have completed working on the warp sled.
    It took a lot longer than I expected, this was mainly due to faddily shapes.
    I am not too happy with one part of the RCS thruster at the back. It not sitting right with me.
    But saying that it is the right shape.

Anyway with this part now done, it on to the model the module pod and the rest of the main hull.

200428-runabout-00.png

200428-runabout-01.png

200428-runabout-02.png

200428-runabout-03.png

200428-runabout-04.png

200428-runabout-05.png
    P5ych0p4thLizzy777evil_genius_180MadKoiFishlennier1lewisnivenashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertBrandenbergand 3 others.
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Looks nice, yeah that back top RCS is a bit too tall, on that model pic a page back, it ends about half way down that hull piece.
    Freak
    @kaden Thanks yeah I going to have to redo that, before moving on.

• maranmaran178 Posts: 39Member
    I love me some nice clay renders! Looking very nice!

But now we're talking RCS anyway, how does it stop? :p
    Freak
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    maran wrote: »
    I love me some nice clay renders! Looking very nice!

The runabout's on DS9 never had to stop. They were usually destroyed or crashed before that happened. =P
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
    @maran Thanks.
    maran wrote: »

That's a good question, as the studio model is also missing the RCS on the bottom as well.

I might go in and install those after I have finished build this. But we will see.
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Freak wrote: »
    I might go in and install those after I have finished build this.

That sounds like you’re going to put on a spacesuit later and doing some EVA 😁
    Freak
    @P5ych0p4th, it more like Capt. Harriman, "It will be installed on Tuesday." ;)
    P5ych0p4th
    It been a while since I posted an update on this.
    I have been working on the rest of the main hull. The Module Pod, is now done. The modelling on this went quickly. It was cutting in the panel lines that was taking the time, this was also the case with the rear half the main hull.
    The main hull has been split into the separate parts so if I want to do a picture with the Module section removed I can.

I am now starting close the finishing line with that. Just need to add details to the pylon and check to see if I have missed any details and sort them out.

20200509-runabout-00.png

20200509-runabout-01.png

20200509-runabout-02.png

20200509-runabout-03.png

20200509-runabout-04.png

20200509-runabout-05.png

20200509-runabout-06.png
    kadenevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryashleytingerBrandenbergP5ych0p4thLizzy777LeoBerlin
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    This looks very good !
    Freak
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    It really does! B)
    Freak
    Thanks guys.
    I have finished modelling the inner part of the Pylons.
    I was surprised that there is very little detail on the back part of it. Also there is not a lot of refences pictures for it, and screen grabs don't help as the area is not well lit.

I have started work on the outer part of the pylons. With any luck I should have all the modelling done by the weekend. Then I can start on adding Textures to this.
    This thing is going to be a pain in the ass to unwrap.

Now should I model the name of the runabout or Texture it on?

I have also found some error on the landing pad which are on the nacelles so that also need to be fixed. I'll post some pictures once I have completed all the modelling.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member

It may be faster to just model it.
    Freak
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Really like all the details. I am not really sure about that green color versus the gray. I would do some test on that.
    Freak
    edited May 2020 #230
    @komaro, I looked at ref pictures and there is some green/ grey hull plating.
    Your right mine is too green. but I am just keeping the colour as a placeholder for now. With applying the martials on the plates that need to change. I can just change up the colour on that martials and it will correct it all. Save me having to add the Material when I am finished. ;)
    Post edited by Freak on
    komaro
    This thing is going to be a pain in the ass to unwrap.

I have no problem believing that. And I do not envy you for it :-P

I'd say modeling. Seems easier to me.

Are you going classic and naming after a river? :-D

Freak
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Should do a green one and call it Thunderbird. ;)
    Freak
    Are you going classic and naming after a river? :-D

All the runabouts with the except of the one from Harry Kim Alt reality, that we have seen have been names after rivers. So yeah I will be naming it after a river.
    As this is meant to be the one seen in TNG we never got told it name. So I guess I will be able to come with my own. (Yes I know the ship Reg is the same as one of the runabout stationed on DS9, but this was because they used stock footage form that show. I'll have to check the remastered TNG Bluray to see if they changed it.

As for the runabout that Harry Kim was designing, it was a Yellowstone class and was a prototype. But given that it was in an alt reality we can discount it.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Should do a green one and call it Thunderbird. ;)

That not a bad idea, but I don't think I will be doing it.
    Just for fun, I did change all the martials to glass to see what it looked like and it turned out nice. So I might do a picture of her like that as a model on someone desk.
    The Pylons are now done, lots of trail and errors with cutting out the panels. But it turned out fine.
    The biggest difference, between mine and the official model is that on mine I have added a cut out. This cut out is for the additional pod to connect to. IE Weapons Pod, AWAC Pod or science Pod.
    I just did not like something like having a connection point that is flushed with the hull. So I have added the cut out and put some gribbles in there so it look like a proper connection points

So with that, the main modelling is now done. I still need to add the reg and the Starfleet logos but that won’t take long.
    I also need to fix a couple of errors again that won’t take long either.

I still have no idea how I am going to texture this thing, so that will interesting.
    As for the weapons pod, yes I will be modelling that as well.

20200522-runabout-00.png

20200522-runabout-01.png

20200522-runabout-02.png

20200522-runabout-03.png

20200522-runabout-04.png

20200522-runabout-05.png

20200522-runabout-06.png

20200522-runabout-07.png

And just for fun, here is a render of ship with just glass material applied to it.

20200522-runabout-08.png
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180ashleytingerLeoBerlinLizzy777commandersozoBrandenberg
    Ohhh ... that glass shot is looking sweeeet!
    Freak
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a great looking model, Dean. It will be interesting to see how you texture it.
    Freak
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    that glass-look model is awesome!!
    Freak
    edited May 2020 #238
    Thanks.

Currently taking a small break from this, and doing some research on how I am going to Unwrap this thing for Textures.
    Post edited by Freak on
    edited May 2020 #239
    As I am coming to a close on the Runabout build.
    I though I would do a picture of the different size of Star Trek Shuttles. Going from smaller to largest, they are all in scale.

For size refences, the person in the picture is 6ft.

shuttle-scale.png

shuttle-scale-2.png
    Post edited by Freak on
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
    You can see, why those get their own registry numbers 😁
    Freak
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Man those are looking good! They don't even need textures thanks to that detailing.

Also good work on the refit, I can't believe I didn't see that until now. I'll be following this one

Freak