Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAshley's Star Trek WIP Thread

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I like how you go about your design process with the form following function. I am similarly anal when it comes to that. :thumb:
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    I like how you go about your design process with the form following function. I am similarly anal when it comes to that. :thumb:

I try to at least. There's generally a look I'm going for but I try to think about how it might work and modify it from there.
    civilian_scout___liberty_class___warp_nacelle_wip__by_ashleytinger-dc03j38.jpg

Finally back to working on this after a hiatus while we busted our butts getting the house ready for sale, which it is, so please, someone buy my house!

Working on a few ideas here with this, the shape of the rear 'exhaust' for lack of a better term, some more details for the warp field generator, and a 'vent' based off the one used on the smaller TOS model of the Enterprise but flipped to the outside so it's not venting into the side of the Engineering hull of the Liberty.

Also threw in my 6 ft cutout for fun.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Very nice work!
    scifieric wrote: »
    Very nice work!

Thank you! Been trying to get back to it. :)
    dsc_enterprise_conversion_wip_by_ashleytinger-dc9oeh0.jpg

With not a lot of free time on my hands to do my own modeling I've been bumming around different sites looking for meshes to download and play with and maybe practice some texturing when I came across Chris Kuhn's Enterprise mesh from Discovery and salivated and downloaded and then realized it was in Autocad or something and had to convert it to OBJ and then over to Truespace and now I have to texture it and color it and all that exciting stuff, but LOOK AT THE DETAILING ON THIS THING.

I'm actually kind of salivating while I paint the windows and so on. Chris did some AMAZING work bringing this to everyone. I'm going to save it out for Truespace when I'm done with it (I know there are a few of us who still use it) and then a version that will work in DAZ. Also going for having easy registry swaps, but we'll see how that goes.

Enterprise Mesh by Chris Kuhn (it's hosted on his Facebook page)
    Here's a bit of a WIP using existing elements I built for a TMP/Phase II look. The general idea is a what if in that TOS carried on for a while and the sets were upgraded for the new era and built right over the top of the existing TOS sets for their upgrades.

I'm mainly doing this to get back into the swing of things and making minor modeling edits before I go back to the Civilian ship again.

desilu_stage_9_tos_to_phase_ii___planning_by_ashleytinger-dc9vtvk.jpg

This was me in Paint while I was on a conference call and bored out of my mind. it's definitely chicken-scratch, but led me to actually trying something with the idea.

desilu_stage_9_tos_to_phase_ii_corridor_layout_wip_by_ashleytinger-dca2m0f.jpg

I rann into my first snag with the layout and using already created TMP assets for the Stage 9 layout. Apparently the curvature of the corridor in TMP and TNG is actually quite a bit looser than in TOS. I realized I was going to have to perform some surgery on my concentric corridor bits to get them to match the tighter curve of the TOS corridor. I also had to make a smaller door for the one side of the corridor. I had the 3 ft. doors for the inner curve, but I only made up a 5 ft. door for the outer curve. The width is pretty much dead on for the outside part of the set walls for the corridor though, which I thought was pretty neat. I'm utilizing a slide wall with ODN panels for when you'd go in and out of Engineering. I guess it depends on where you would want your main Engineering to be, either in the front of the Secondary Hull ala TMP or in the back of the Secondary Hull ala Phase II. Basically it functions like the wall plugs they used in TNG in Engineering anyway. Just slide them between the bulkheads and go.

desilu_stage_9_tos_to_phase_ii_layout_wip_2_by_ashleytinger-dca7o6p.jpg

Despite shaving down several components to better match the curvature of the Desilu Stage 9 sets in Truespace, for some reason when I brought them back into DAZ, I'm still getting some curvature sway that I can't figure out. I'm guessing it's a sizing issue from the conversion to the import, but for right now, I'm ok with it. It still fits within Stage 9 and follows the general path, so it still tracks with my original thought that they could have built this over the top of the original sets. I did start on the 'outer' corridor that will attach to my Phase II bridge that would be for those long walk and talk shots that TNG loved so much. Only this time you could leave the bridge in a lift, the lift would rotate around with the actors in it, and they'd exit in a corridor where the camera could follow them wherever they were going in the saucer section.

I did leave some open areas and 'wild' walls where they were in the TOS sets. Others are getting closed off, like in the living quarters, Engineering and the briefing room. I haven't really figured out Sickbay yet other than I'm re-using a lot of components from my TMP set. I'm thinking that it should have a 'lobby' though instead of having people just go right into an exam area or the operating area. Privacy and sanitary reasons and all that. The TMP set KIND of had that but then had a door going to a corridor where the intensive care unit was.... yeah no. It is tight in that area though, so we'll see what I can do.
    I've kind of bounced around a little bit, but we're moving so I haven't had much time to do anything, so while I was visiting friends I sketched and roughed out some concept areas. I drew these up with the Probert Ambassador class in mind but these would easily work with the regular Ambassador as well.

ambassador_class_engineering_sketch_by_ashleytinger-dchcdfs.jpg

ambassador_transporter_room_sketch_by_ashleytinger-dchce1j.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I just saw these on DeviantArt, I really like the Engineering area, with the console mimicking the Ent-C bridge stations. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I just saw these on DeviantArt, I really like the Engineering area, with the console mimicking the Ent-C bridge stations. :)

I was trying to go with a Ent-D style but a bit chunkier and more cramped. Especially since after a certain point in the 2290s they all looked like the Ent-D anyway :P lol But yeah, totally cheesed off the bridge stations for the wall consoles. ;)

And thank you!
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Really liking those concepts. Also liking the Delta Shield for a capital "A". ;)
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Really liking those concepts. Also liking the Delta Shield for a capital "A". ;)

Thanks! Yeah I'm trying to get away from just jumping in and modeling cause it takes me longer when I get to a point and don't know what to do or something doesn't fit quite right and end up scrapping it or starting over. Plus I have a Surface now so I can scribble all I want lol

The Delta was a whim. I think I've seen it somewhere before or something like it. Can't really recall.
  • WideFootWideFoot83 Posts: 81Member
    Well, that's more planning than I ever do, and it's probably a good thing. I cannot wait to see your next step! and, I'm curious to see how the hull is progressing. Is it largely complete?

(did you ever sell your house?)
    WideFoot wrote: »
    Well, that's more planning than I ever do, and it's probably a good thing. I cannot wait to see your next step! and, I'm curious to see how the hull is progressing. Is it largely complete?

(did you ever sell your house?)

I never did sell my house. It's still available if anyone is interested! .... someone really needs to buy it... I did get moved into the new house though!

Anyway... I've been kind of busy. Back to modeling again. Wanted to get a few ideas done before i settled back in on the scout.

So I'm working on a different style of 24th Century Corridor. One you'd see on a ship that wasn't a Galaxy class. That and is less a retread of the TMP sets.

24th_century_starship_corridor___non_galaxy___wip_by_ashleytinger_dcvqmqt-pre.jpg

24th_century_corridor___wip_access_panel_detail_by_ashleytinger_dcvz1eu-fullview.jpg

And I did do some more work on the scout I hadn't posted here

civilian___liberty_class___warp_nacelle_wip_04_by_ashleytinger_dci5umg-pre.jpg

I'll be getting back to that soon. So much work with work and a commission for a ship model, and I'm finally getting down to doing some work on a story someone else wrote, plus an entry for a deviantart group... busy. lol
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    I might describe corridors like that on a ship in a Galaxy Chronicles installment!
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Nice, it sorta reminds me of some of the utilitarian "engineering maintenance" type orridors seen in later Trek :)
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    I might describe corridors like that on a ship in a Galaxy Chronicles installment!

Go for it! I'm still doing some detailing to these. Going to have a full quarter or concentric corridor, an offshoot radial, then a set of straight segments that represents the secondary hull where you could set up and not see the curved concentric corridor. Need to set up doorways, etc.
    Starscream wrote: »
    Nice, it sorta reminds me of some of the utilitarian ""engineering maintenance"" type orridors seen in later Trek :)

Exactly. Even those were still re-dresses of the TMP corridor parts unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I love that design, just, I think Starfleet would come up with something different in 70 years of advancement. LOL
    Indeed! I loved how they looked in TUC, but apart from that it never really felt like those corridors ""fit"" with the accompanying sets supposedly showing the same ship - just look at the aesthetic difference compared to the TMP bridge, and likewise the later Ent-D (though the former instance I blame squarely on the bridge set design, as it looks painfully dated and out of place vs what came before and after it...)
    Well, those could be used on freighters or transport ships perhaps. Or maybe small vessels like the Mediteranean-class or whatnot.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Very nice corridor! Has a bit of a Tantive IV vibe to it. ;)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Very nice corridor! Has a bit of a Tantive IV vibe to it. ;)

LOL It does a little bit. I was trying to incorporate some elements from the Pegasus and the ship from Interface without looking like the TMP corridor with covers on the floor lights. ;)
    Well, those could be used on freighters or transport ships perhaps. Or maybe small vessels like the Mediteranean-class or whatnot.

I'm thinking bigger, like an Excelsior or Miranda, but it's a standard corridor. You could really put it in any ship. To each their own.
    Indeed! I loved how they looked in TUC, but apart from that it never really felt like those corridors ""fit"" with the accompanying sets supposedly showing the same ship - just look at the aesthetic difference compared to the TMP bridge, and likewise the later Ent-D (though the former instance I blame squarely on the bridge set design, as it looks painfully dated and out of place vs what came before and after it...)

Yeah I understand Trek was on a budget. Re-using uniforms in Generations is kind of reflective of that. I just wish they'd been able to stretch it just a bit more. lol
    I was thinking that corridor of yours (the straight one) could serve as that egress corridor I had in mind when the Galaxy has her battle bridge and stuff changed in 2365 that leads to a briefing room, ready room, emergency turbolift, etc. It would be a rather narrow corridor so it might fit.
    I was thinking that corridor of yours (the straight one) could serve as that egress corridor I had in mind when the Galaxy has her battle bridge and stuff changed in 2365 that leads to a briefing room, ready room, emergency turbolift, etc. It would be a rather narrow corridor so it might fit.

The nice thing about that particular radial corridor is that it's easy to cut up and resize as it's a set of flat pieces, unlike the concentric corridor which is more of a PITA. ;)

Do you know how long and how wide you wanted that corridor?
    Did some assembly layouts using the old parts.

Primary Hull Assembly
    24th_century_corridor___primary_hull_wip_assembled_by_ashleytinger_dcw8dew-pre.jpg

Secondary Hull Assembly
    24th_century_corridor___2nd_hull_wip_assemble_by_ashleytinger_dcw8dte-pre.jpg

Top Down Layout view
    24th_century_corridor_layout___wip_by_ashleytinger_dcw8e97-fullview.jpg

And I'm impatient, and I needed a Holodeck entrance for my characters, so I took the wide radial corridor and used that as the Holodeck lobby and threw it in DAZ with some lighting. I borrowed the Holodeck door that Mattymanx put out for this one.
    24th_century_holodeck_exterior_render_test_by_ashleytinger_dcwa8r0-pre.jpg
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    Looks amazing
    SATR wrote: »
    Looks amazing

Thanks!
    24th_century_corridor_wip___red_alert_light_test_by_ashleytinger_dcwjncx-fullview.jpg

Decided to do a quick red alert render while I worked on work stuff. Lowered the main lights to about a third of what they were, and obviously our blue highlights are an angry red now. Debating on swapping out the LCARS. Maybe not for door panels, but the wall sections with working panels having the red alert indicator, which you can't see here at all but I am thinking about lol.

The standing station here is based on the prop from Star Trek VI, which originated in the Next Gen episode Booby Trap, and was re-used in Parallels with a different graphic, and The Quality of Life.

The warp core graphic is modeled, not textured. I wanted to get that inlaid look to it. The other version of this prop has the two warp nacelles coils laid out on it.
    I always loved that big transparent display :D
    I always loved that big transparent display :D

I'm not including the 'pool' table in this Engineering area, so I thought I'd still put something there. ;)

This one isn't going to be so open either. The Holodeck Lobby for the Saucer section is going to be the main entrance to Engineering in the Secondary hull, which means I'm going to need to brush up that Ambassador Engine Room I sketched up and model it. Blarg.
    24th_century_corridor___engineering_lobby_by_ashleytinger_dcwlm5t-fullview.jpg

Took MattyManx's Holodeck door and archway and built my own version. Went through and glued all of the corridors together and exported. So what you're seeing above is the final look for the Engineering Lobby in the Secondary Hull. The Main Engineering doors are closed because, well, I haven't modeled Engineering yet. :P

24th_century_corridor___utility_access_by_ashleytinger_dcwmg8m-fullview.jpg

Just a long utility corridor in the Secondary Hull with lots of plates to pull off and fix the stuff behind them. Because even Engineers need to get from here or there. ;)