Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWhere the future began

13»

• captainkirkcaptainkirk171 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, I don't know the real story either without the Drex files to give updates on it. Anyway, I'm sending him an email right now so I'll see what he says.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Way better. And I'm not just saying that from a nerdy "it would never work that way" point of view. It just has more of a "not flying in space" feel to it. It also helps the wonderful gray day look more intact.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • aridas sofiaaridas sofia331 Posts: 0Member
    If I could make a suggestion in the vein of the one upthread concerning the nacelle and sensor dome lights, it would be to kill the lit windows as well. Other than that, showing a hull panel removed and some work going on might add to the feeling that the ship is under repair or being built and not just sitting in dock.
    If I could make a suggestion in the vein of the one upthread concerning the nacelle and sensor dome lights, it would be to kill the lit windows as well. Other than that, showing a hull panel removed and some work going on might add to the feeling that the ship is under repair or being built and not just sitting in dock.

(IMHO) I like the windows. I think it IS just sitting in the dock. Launch is tomorrow. Everything is ready, she's just not flying. She has power, and any embarking crew would need to see.

Just from a composition, mostly the sensor and a little bit the nacelles add too much light. (And I think the problem with that is that I'm not sure it's reacting with the rain properly.) But the windows are tiny little points of warm in a very cool environment. This totally sells it for me.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    If you turn off all the lights inside the ship, how is anybody who's inside it supposed to see? :shiner:
    Yeah, I'll keep the windows on. The idea behind that is that there is plenty of work being done inside. I just wish though that I could have some on and some off. Unfortunately the way I added them using textures instead of actual modeled windows makes it hard.
    Anyway, Doug told me that he really liked the image but he's not sure if he'll be working on the 2015 calendar but will make an announcement soon.
    Awesome news about Doug. The man has taste. I can tell you, if this makes it to the calendar I can't imagine what I would like better than this.

"The idea behind that is that there is plenty of work being done inside." - And that's totally the vibe I got.

Heh. I just noticed that everything is on. I think that's ok. Because I can't say which ones I'd turn off. But can't you either re-do the texture or set the off windows to a different texture? Dunno.

I finally figured out why the lower sensor being on bothers me: The main sensor dish. Right now it's the darkest part of the ship, being lowest and shadowed by both the saucer and the secondary hull. With that big light bulb of a sensor dome it should be brighter. But it looks best darker. But that's me.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    The only thing I'd turn off are those three circular lights at the foremost saucer rim, but that's personal, because they always seemed like some kind of equipment to me.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    The only thing I'd turn off are those three circular lights at the foremost saucer rim, but that's personal, because they always seemed like some kind of equipment to me.

That's a good idea, because I think those are running lights. They definitely were in Where No Man Has Gone Before. (the middle one had a bulb in it that blinked) The same with the three circular lights on each side towards the back of the saucer. I'm not sure what the purpose of those was after they modified the ship, but that's what they were originally.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    i just love the rain rushing off the rim of the saucer. it really is a great and inspiring view :)
    One minor note: You might want to do some post work on those foreground pipes in the lower left corner. Right now they look completely dry, but that's nothing a faked water layer couldn't fix.
    Turning off individual windows probably wouldn't be too hard, but I don't know, I haven't tried.

I'll see what I can do about the front lights. Since they're quite large I don't think they would look good if they were just black but I do have an idea about them.

lennier1, I'm assuming that when you say that the pipes look dry that you mean they don't have water dripping off them like the saucer. That would be one of the harder things to add but I'll see what I cad do.
    It's more a matter of taking elements from the right Photoshop tutorials.
    http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/droplet-water-effect-photoshop-tutorials/ will lead you to tutorials for the effects themself and a dig through Flickr's advanced search will lead you to raw material with the right Creative Commons licenses.

Remember, it's the little details that take an image from "awesome" (the current state) to "breathtaking".
    Great link, thanks. I may have an update later today or tomorrow.
    Arrgh. That was quite a lot longer than I thought. And it's barely visible. Sorry that the water on the pipes doesn't look that great. I've never really done effects like this and so I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I only know what I can do.
    102138.jpg
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    it looks great to me.

i wouldnt stress about the pipes that much, there isnt as much surface area for water to pool like on the saucer, so imo you wouldnt see much dripping from them.
    Thanks. It does still bother me a bit and if it gets accepted into SOTL I'll probably change that part.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Loving the rain, would be cool if those big three lights on the front were illuminating some of the rain that fell past them.
  • RekkertRekkert4041 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    This is looking better and better with every update. I think it's already worthy of a place in the SOTL calendar.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    biotech wrote: »
    Loving the rain, would be cool if those big three lights on the front were illuminating some of the rain that fell past them.

I'll look into that. Although I'm told that those lights are sensors and so they should be off while it's on the ground.
    By the way, given all the talented illustrators on here, is there a good character designer? Once I finish this image I would like to try to visualize what a new Trek animated series could look like, but I'm no good at character designs.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Dig it!