Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWhere the future began

• captainkirkcaptainkirk171 Posts: 0Member
    My view on the ground/space debate is that it doesn't make much sense to build it on Earth, but it's a lot cooler looking than if it's in space. Also, if Trekkies will accept a giant purple streak that gives people that go through it super powers and makes them evil, then I don't think building the Enterprise on Earth is such a stretch.
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    My view on the ground/space debate is that it doesn't make much sense to build it on Earth, but it's a lot cooler looking than if it's in space. Also, if Trekkies will accept a giant purple streak that gives people that go through it super powers and makes them evil, then I don't think building the Enterprise on Earth is such a stretch.

When I first stumbled about this thread I wanted to say something about how odd it would be to bild the enterprise on the ground and how much I disliked JJ's Film for that decission, but than I thought it would be silly to make such a comment and now enough people have released me from that duty. And you hit the nail with what you are saying. We are accepting so much weirdness with star trek that this is just a small thing, even though I disagree with you, 'cause I think a orbital Spacedock is looking much cooler, but that is a matter of taste I guess and I rely love the atmospher of that evening or early morning light - something that would be impossible to do with a space scene. Whats the Point of this, you are asking? Just wanted to say that I like your work. ... Just one little crit I still have. I think those piers are looking a bit too simple, at least they should have some buffer between the upper end and the hull of the ship
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I think what really threw me was that we see the Enterprise on the ground but we don't get a "liftoff" scene, at least "In The Pirkinning" gave us that. I can imagine this trench that your E is on leading to a big ramp, so it works like a space train-type roller-coaster launch, the kind used in Gundam Wing.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I think what really threw me was that we see the Enterprise on the ground but we don't get a "liftoff" scene, at least "In The Pirkinning" gave us that. I can imagine this trench that your E is on leading to a big ramp, so it works like a space train-type roller-coaster launch, the kind used in Gundam Wing.

No, no. Something suitably elaborate like Thunderbird 2's lift-off in Thunderbirds Are Go! :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member

Yeah, that was a rip-off. But, we were pretty much seeing that part of the film as Kirk saw it. He saw the ship there, that made him want to enroll in Starfleet. (NOT ENLIST, like they say in the film, officers don't enlist!) Then, by the time he saw the ship again, it was already in space. Still, they could have cut away at some point to a "ribbon cutting" scene in there where Pike gets up and says something meaningful and then the ship lifts off. That would have been awesome.
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    No, no. Something suitably elaborate like Thunderbird 2's lift-off in Thunderbirds Are Go! :)

"Look at the size of that pool!"
    "Oh, that's NOTHING!"
    Still, they could have cut away at some point to a "ribbon cutting" scene in there where Pike gets up and says something meaningful and then the ship lifts off. That would have been awesome.

If I had the computing power I would make an animation where it lifts off. Unfortunately, at 7 hours per frame, it might take a while.
  • tondemonaitondemonai173 Posts: 26Member
    All arguments aside, I would suggest having the nacelles offline, at least. If it's built in drydock in atmosphere, you probably don't want a warp field, regardless of how low the intensity. I would imagine the OSHA of the future would probably insist on "if you build it planetside, turn the giant reactors on in space for cooling and safety." Especially since she's still being fueled up.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    tondemonai wrote: »
    All arguments aside, I would suggest having the nacelles offline, at least. If it's built in drydock in atmosphere, you probably don't want a warp field, regardless of how low the intensity. I would imagine the OSHA of the future would probably insist on "if you build it planetside, turn the giant reactors on in space for cooling and safety." Especially since she's still being fueled up.
    just noticed your location, i guess you have already read this post and are now watching as the earlier ones appear. i'm assuming you know how this thread will end before the rest of us see it happen, ha ha.
    Well, I'm ready to call the shot finished. I know there are still many things that could be done with it, but I have other models and scenes I would like to do in the future and I don't want this using up all my time.
    What I've done since the last image is make a few tweaks to the ship, add nacelle supports, and make it rain.
    101575.jpg
    That looks great. :D Though, I agree that the bussards should be turned off, the sensor dome probably should be also. It's a planetary sensor, totally useless when you're on a planet (or in dock at all.)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I REALLY like this image. It almost has a painterly feel to it and could easily see it on the cover of a book. Great job.

And now, I must bid farewell as I am off to see Into Darkness in IMAX 3D.

Al
    I agree, it would just need some people. Love the idea of having it rain.
    Thanks everyone. I've enjoyed reading everyones' comments.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    And now, I must bid farewell as I am off to see Into Darkness in IMAX 3D.

:( Here in South Africa it doesn't come out for another three weeks!
    Thanks everyone. I've enjoyed reading everyones' comments.

:( Here in South Africa it doesn't come out for another three weeks!

That's too bad 'cause it was a fantastic film. It is a film I will definitely get on Blu-ray when it is available.
    Great to hear. Was the 3-D any good?
    I've never seen IMAX 3D before, its always been Real 3D. The IMAX 3D knocked my socks off! Don't know what the difference is, but there was definitely a difference. The 3D was used as if filming a normal film and no hokey stuff like you would see in an older film where they exploited the 3D. JJ Abrams did use the lens flare a bit too much again. So much so, that there were scenes where the lens flare would wash out almost a quarter of the screen. I would like him to shove the lens flare where the flare doesn't shine anymore.:lol: That aside, it was an amazing film experience and will probably go back to watch it again.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    It is worth seeing twice, I saw it once in IMAX 3D as well, it is worth seeing in IMAX, but I didn't feel the 3D did all that much for this movie for some reason. I thought it was great, but didn't like the way the movie veered from fan service to homage to blatant rip off of earlier Trek movies at certain points, it almost made me think what was the point of creating an alternate timeline then, if you're just going to rehash the same stuff again? Though I won't spoil it for people yet to see it.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Oh, wow. The thumbnail does NOT do this justice! I kind of ho hummed when I saw this and then I clicked the link. Send this to Drexler for Ships of the Line immediately.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • RekkertRekkert4041 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    How is it that I didn't see this before? This looks amazing, I love the industrial and "dirty" look, it makes a nice contrast with the clean look and lines of the Enterprise. The rain adds a lot to the image.
    Ironically the struts and supports make this looks more realistic than the Iowa Shipyard seen in the 2009 movie.

You, sir, made a new absolute classic! :thumb:
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Any chance of seeing a version of this with the nacelles and the sensor turned off?

This has been my wallpaper for a week or so now and I'm not getting tired of it.
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Any chance of seeing a version of this with the nacelles and the sensor turned off?

I agree, that would be great. There's no good reason for those systems to be active while the ship is docked, especially on the surface of a planet.
    Thanks everyone for your continued interest in this.
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Oh, wow. The thumbnail does NOT do this justice! I kind of ho hummed when I saw this and then I clicked the link. Send this to Drexler for Ships of the Line immediately.

I actually made this image with the same aspect ratio as the SOTL images, just in case it would be possible to get it in. But I think that they've already got images for 2014, so it would have to wait quite a while and I'm sure something better will come along.
    There's no good reason for those systems to be active while the ship is docked, especially on the surface of a planet.

The reason I left them on is because they help to draw your eye to the ship. I'll render an image without them on tonight and if it's any good I'll upload it tomorrow.
    I actually made this image with the same aspect ratio as the SOTL images, just in case it would be possible to get it in. But I think that they've already got images for 2014, so it would have to wait quite a while and I'm sure something better will come along.

Have you read any of the stories of people's submissions? I'd get this in front of Drexler. Either for him to take an interest in it for it's own sake or to show him what you can do. Buckaroohawk had a quite the saga about getting his image for the cover. It's a process. I'd get it started now. :)
    Yeah, the 2014 calendars are on sale already. However, IF they're doing a 2015 calendar, submissions should start soon. (assuming they don't do it at the last minute again :rolleyes:) You should definitely submit it. This is an idea that not a lot of people do, which would add variety to the massive amount of space images that get submitted every year. That may give you an edge as far as getting in. :) And it's definitely a fantastic image.
    Here it is without the bussard and dome lights on.

How exactly do you submit an image? I have looked around a little but I've never seen who to contact.
    101986.jpg
    That looks fantastic. :thumb:

Doug Drexler is the guy to contact for that.
    Thanks!

I thought I read that he wasn't working on it anymore.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    Even if so, with his connections he'd point you in the right direction.
    I don't know. He loves doing it, so I don't see why he'd not do it, given the chance. Now, there was that thing where there wasn't going to be a 2014 calendar, but later on that was changed (these decisions were made by the publishers, not Doug.) Though, as lennier1 said, he'll be able to point you to who is doing it, if it's not him.