Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVir Inter Astrum Reboot

• RekkertRekkert4046 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,304Member
    I like both but if I had to chose I'd go with the first one.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    I think I'll just have to do both! Now to come up with a plausible backstory, as always, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good. As far as backstory....perhaps its actually more cost effective to leave the non VTOL fighters inservice rather than decommission them or have them retrofitted with VTOL; thus it was cheaper to just create a craft with VTOL off the bat...
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i like the design jsut dislike the tail fins
    Those fins were just place holders, I'm thinking about something like this;
    s9f.png
    Might also round the wingtips too.
    Should angle them slightly strait up is weird5
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    I took advantage of a slow shift at work today to give these little beauties some thought. I'll e-mail you some ideas once I've had something to eat and had a chance to cool down a bit.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    Those fins were just place holders, I'm thinking about something like this;
    s9f.png
    Might also round the wingtips too.

nice though i think the tips are a little TOO rounded. something about that image really screams "avatar shuttle". i might advise taking the rear edge of the delta further back along the fuselage.
    nice though i think the tips are a little TOO rounded. something about that image really screams "avatar shuttle". i might advise taking the rear edge of the delta further back along the fuselage.
    looks nothing like the avatar shuttle imho
    Think I'm going to start from scratch on this last one. I like the overall shape, but it just looks a little like something from a RTS game to me, plus a bit too 21st century.
    In other news, now that I've got everything reinstalled I'm back at the american fighter. Starting the weathering and detailing on it;
    9xc0.png
    awe that fighter was awsome tho
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    That's a shame, maybe you can bring one or both back at a later date as historical fighters. The US fighter's looking real good, have you given it a designation yet?
    great model and texturing, fantastic. not sure if it's just a reflection but the top looks too blue in colour. must admit i would like to see the last one, completed also.
    I'll hang on to the old one, sure it can be repurposed down the road. And yeah spacefighter, the color is pretty vibrant, I wanted to give it a look like it could be flying through an alien atmosphere.
    Here is where I'm going with the redesigned russian;
    l1in.png
    keep it finless(yes there are planes with no tail fins that can fly) that looks cool
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Bbzw2, looks good. Nose in russian fighter somewhat disturbs the look. Will you do the nosecone, or it will be another air intake?

2 colbmista - if it will be finnless, then those spikes on the back are useless.
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Bbzw2, looks good. Nose in russian fighter somewhat disturbs the look. Will you do the nosecone, or it will be another air intake?

2 colbmista - if it will be finnless, then those spikes on the back are useless.
    not really hides the flames and heat from the side veiw from IF cameras and stuff and it looks cool function isnt always necessary
    colbmista wrote: »
    not really hides the flames and heat from the side veiw from IF cameras and stuff and it looks cool function isnt always necessary
    I doubt, anything can hide the flame and heat of thermonuclear thrusters, but whatever...
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    The coloring of the US fighter is really impressive :D can't wait to see the sheet.

Finless looks great on the russian one.

@Stonecold: the spines are not useless. They could house ECM/ECCM devices (i think some sukhoi planes have a part of their sensor suite in the weird looking tail between their engines, but i might be wrong on this, i know some have a brake chute there), and more importantly, they could be Integrated Cool-Looking Enhancement devices (i like to name tech stuff the way Apperture Science does ^^). My crappy Paint skills make me think a little bit shorter and rounder might make them look more balanced with the rest of the ship, but that is merely a personnal opinion, as always.

@bbzw2: did you stop working on the civilian transport? I looked forward to it. Its realistic look was interesting, i was eager to read its background.
    Stonecold wrote: »
    I doubt, anything can hide the flame and heat of thermonuclear thrusters, but whatever...

thermonuclear thrusters? that seems kinda really stupid to put on a fighter imo and where did it say he was putting a nuke engine in the fighter anyway
    Well, you don't have an unlimited number of technical solutions to slap a lot of power in a tiny fighter. A nuclear thermal light bulb is quite low-tech, really, compared to everything else. And everything else would be as bright in term of exhaust.
    thermonuclear thrusters? that seems kinda really stupid to put on a fighter imo and where did it say he was putting a nuke engine in the fighter anyway
    However, aerospace fighters, just like most other space/aerospace craft in VIA-verse are in essence nuclear rockets. Read the viki, if you don`t believe me, it is stated in most, if not all records.
    nice work on the fighter, interesting to see the loss of the tails but it looks just as good as before. as for all this business about thrusters, a nuclear main engine makes absolute sense but thrusters could just be made using gas passed over the extremely hot reactor to cause it to expand.
    still makes no sense to put a nuke engine on a fighter would you build a nuclear power plant and let people shoot at it? no you wouldnt which is basicly what your doing by putting it in to a fighter not to mention the radiation exposure your giving your pilots and the crew where you have them stored weather it be a base or on a carrier
    still makes no sense to put a nuke engine on a fighter would you build a nuclear power plant and let people shoot at it? no you wouldnt which is basicly what your doing by putting it in to a fighter not to mention the radiation exposure your giving your pilots and the crew where you have them stored weather it be a base or on a carrier

Nuclear thruster =/= nuclear reactor. Tokamak style reactor =/= modern style uranium->plutonium reactor.

All I want to say that is much, much less hazardous, and without it onboard, you will NEVER achieve decent delta-V, period. If you want a little more scientific details, I advise you to read this site through:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php
    I'll just drop this little update into the engineering symposium. ;)
    cs0y.png
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    It makes no sense to sit in a plane full of jet fuel with afterburning engines. Before that, it made no sense to sit in a plane full of high octane gasoline with an overboosted piston engine. Someday, it will make no sense to sit in a small spaceship full of antimatter, but pilots will do it anyway, cuz that's what they do.
  • wminsingwminsing171 Posts: 0Member
    There's no way you're going to have a viable space fighter with anything other than a nuclear engine (fission or fusion) in the VIA-verse. There's no magical reaction-less drive (other than the FTL handwave) to give the fighters, and chemical fuel would not cut it.

-Will
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    I'll just drop this little update into the engineering symposium. ;)

-Bbzw2 posts a new update
    -someone comments that it is silly/unrealistic/won't work
    -someone answers that A) yes it does work B) it is a work of fiction so Rule of Cool
    -first person retorts that if you're so smart then prove it
    -second person hammers links from Atomic Rockets and Rocketpunk Manifesto
    -First person says that Nyrath knows no more than him and demonstrates it by explaining how you can get stealth in space (TAKE THIS, NYRATH!!!)
    -the Holy Church of Nyrath gets angry, everyone jumps at the heretic with pitches and forks
    -Bbzw2 updates his work
    -Everyone ignores him while the debate devolves into a lasers Vs missiles argument

Just another normal day on the Vir Inter Astrum WIP thread...
    Khay wrote: »
    -Bbzw2 posts a new update
    -someone comments that it is silly/unrealistic/won't work
    -someone answers that A) yes it does work B) it is a work of fiction so Rule of Cool
    -first person retorts that if you're so smart then prove it
    -second person hammers links from Atomic Rockets and Rocketpunk Manifesto
    -First person says that Nyrath knows no more than him and demonstrates it by explaining how you can get stealth in space (TAKE THIS, NYRATH!!!)
    -the Holy Church of Nyrath gets angry, everyone jumps at the heretic with pitches and forks
    -Bbzw2 updates his work
    -Everyone ignores him while the debate devolves into a lasers Vs missiles argument

Just another normal day on the Vir Inter Astrum WIP thread...

And that`s why those treads are so fun :) Save for ignoring Bbzw2`s work. BTW, it was never proved that stealth is possible in space without VERY much magitech, like 100% effective heat conductors, radiators and so on.

Bbzw2 - looks good so far. Will there be elevators and nose cone?
    And a few photos for inspiration :)
    yakovlev-yak-141-2.jpgyak141_3.jpg
    1327589.jpg
    Yak41M_over_Baku.png