Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVir Inter Astrum Reboot

• StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    It need some scratches to look more realistic, but that`s a postwork.

Flat sensor pannels, surrounded by shroud? If those fighters were space-only, that could work. But I doubt, that is will in atmospheric conditions. Do you have a spare engine object? Try to put in on the top-rear part of the fuselage. I think it would balance the craft visually in addition to justification of intake. But that`s your choice of course.

2colbmista: Never heard of intake as an aerodynamic feature. Most designers tend to make the plane`s hull as slick as possible, with an intake treated as necessary evil.
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Flat sensor pannels, surrounded by shroud? If those fighters were space-only, that could work. But I doubt, that is will in atmospheric conditions.

Exactly what i was about to say. It's hard to justify such a thing on an atmospheric ship as it is just so simple to put a good old cone shaped radome on it.

Nevertheless the pointy nose + intake looking thing looks great and very unique. The canopy structure reminds me a lot of the F-4.

The bare metal finish could look good and give a nice retro feeling, like these old shiny planes that were supposed to resist a nuclear flash.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    I'm going to take a hand wave on the intake I think :)
    I'm pretty close to calling this one done. I'll keep the metal finish and go with a Korean War inspired paint scheme. The nose really does remind me of a F-86D Dog Saber!
    7ux.png
    I think in universe the blunt nose one is going to become the 2360's era FT-20 (a lot of peeps thought the original was too cute looking);
    usft201.th.png
    But now it will be a tri-service fighter. The pointy nose one will be an upgrade that was exclusively for the USAAF in the 2390's and is just in service with National Aerospace Guard units in colonies. Makes sense?
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    I'm going to take a hand wave on the intake I think :)
    I'm pretty close to calling this one done. I'll keep the metal finish and go with a Korean War inspired paint scheme. The nose really does remind me of a F-86D Dog Saber!
    Wel it`s your choice. As some sort of poor pseudo-justification - it can be an intake for atmospheric cooling radiator. In that case, you don`t need a thruster on the rear - small exhaust vent will do.
    But now it will be a tri-service fighter. The pointy nose one will be an upgrade that was exclusively for the USAAF in the 2390's and is just in service with National Aerospace Guard units in colonies. Makes sense?

It make sense, I think. Much like real-word military equipment works.
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good, and the history makes sense. The nose certainly does look a lot like the sabre so a Korean war paint job would look good.
    Shark mouth!
    gwob.png
    I have to resist the urge of putting one on everything going forward.
    It looks good on this one . Really shark-looking.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    That looks great
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    excellent work on those last two renders, the second one could do with a bit more shine though. bare metal looks great. that front intake could perhaps lead to some fusion reactors inside the main hull(for electricity generation purposes) those could be used to power lasers/shields/life support/etc. in space gas is very thinly distributed so you may struggle to collect anything like enough but in the atmosphere there must be enough water vapour(for it's hydrogen atoms) to supply fuel to a fusion reactor of over a few megawatts. or if technology is sufficiently advanced in your sci fi verse it could fuse oxygen o nitrogen atoms together to release energy but the power released per mole of fuel would be far lower(oxygen or nitrogen will fuse but compared to proton-proton fusion very little energy is relesed). not so keen on the black bit forward of the cockpit(i've noticed that feature on some aircraft is it anything in particular?), canopy would look better being a visibly different colour to the fuselage. finally have you thought of giving a slight outward tilt to the fins? great work.
    I haven't edited the surface properties yet so that's why it's looking a bit dull. The blacking on the nose is anti-glare covering, a pretty common feature of fighters from 1960's fighters;
    f104rj_3.jpg
    102329.jpg
    Going with this scheme. It's pure invention but the crest is from the 23rd FW, the flying tigers. I've got something funky going on with the insignia on the engine that needs fixing but other than that it's OK, still have lots to do though. Oh, spacefighter, tried canting the tail fins and didn't look too hot, but the idea about radiators is great. And if anyone can point me in the direction of some free sky environment maps I would be very thankful!

ncpl.png
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice paintjob! Looks very retro 50's. Only compaint is it looks way to clean. Add some mis-matched panels, some oil seeping out from loose screws, some muzzle burns, and the bird will lok a whole lot more real.
    Going with this scheme. It's pure invention but the crest is from the 23rd FW, the flying tigers. I've got something funky going on with the insignia on the engine that needs fixing but other than that it's OK, still have lots to do though. Oh, spacefighter, tried canting the tail fins and didn't look too hot, but the idea about radiators is great. And if anyone can point me in the direction of some free sky environment maps I would be very thankful!
    Good one as allways.

As for sky maps, check here first:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?24038-Free-high-res-skymaps-(Massive-07-update!)

And then just google "spherical sky map" - it brings relatively good results in "image" section.
    Epic paintjob!
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    took me ages to read the whole topic... deh.. sometimes I think you guys really work over, write too much, and think even more, but, to me that's something great :)
    It's my fault - I haven't been around for ages;

I just say "Great Stuff Man", but the truth is far away and Eng isn't that nice to express more than this so I add "Spettacolare"; Italian. [I'll keep it simple so you maybe get something out from google translate]

I'd love to know more about the setting of VIA universe. Is there a dedicated website/blog/forum ? Maybe I lost the link in the thread reading it too quickly.
    wicked!!! i really need to know how that texture mapping is done because i am 100% sure you are not just using "edit-->face-->texture-->position texture".
    wicked!!! i really need to know how that texture mapping is done because i am 100% sure you are not just using "edit-->face-->texture-->position texture".
    As far as I can see - there`s no texture at all here. Everything is done with materials.
    Stonecold wrote: »
    As far as I can see - there`s no texture at all here. Everything is done with materials.

what about the USAF markings, the shark mouth, the stripes, the numbers on the fuselage? all done with different materials "cut" into those shapes?
    @boneless; all the fun grunge is yet to come!
    @ I.g.(.; many thanks! You can check out the VIA wiki for more info http://via.wikia.com/wiki/Vir_Inter_Astrum_Wiki . As always, tip of the hat to Tombo et al who do everything with it.
    @stone cold; thanks for the links!
    @spacefighter;everything except the ejection warning triangle and unit crest is the result of push /pulling the shape through the hull and intersecting. As far as the Shineiness, it is done in the renderer by adjusting the reflectivity and glaze of each material. I use raylection but the freeware kerketheya has the same functionality.
    what about the USAF markings, the shark mouth, the stripes, the numbers on the fuselage? all done with different materials "cut" into those shapes?
    At least that`s the way I do such things.
    @spacefighter;everything except the ejection warning triangle and unit crest is the result of push /pulling the shape through the hull and intersecting. As far as the Shineiness, it is done in the renderer by adjusting the reflectivity and glaze of each material. I use raylection but the freeware kerketheya has the same functionality.

+ kerkythea have quite a lot of freeware preset materials, you can use to construct your own ones.
    Just saw this, immediately thought of VIA ships.

http://io9.com/an-illustrated-history-of-unbelievably-camouflaged-ship-676257937

Your warships demand more Chris Foss's style stripes!!! :D
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    VIA wiki: now I have something to read :)

-nice link Khay!
    Just a quick update; Got hammered by a few viruses that required me to reformat my hard-drive, have all the VIA stuff on externals so nothing was lost. As soon as I get everything reinstalled I'll be back to work.
    Good to see, that you are a cautious type :) We`ll be waiting for your return!
    Just a quick update; Got hammered by a few viruses that required me to reformat my hard-drive, have all the VIA stuff on externals so nothing was lost. As soon as I get everything reinstalled I'll be back to work.

Nasty. But I've warned you about going to those dodgy Justin Bieber fan sites :p. Always a good thing to back up anything important on a regular basis.
    Have to wait until this sunday to install photoshop so I can't finish any sheets or do post work on what I have, so I started on the next model. This one is going to be the soviet frontier fighter;
    yqn.png
    Hm... Just as an idea... What do you think about secondary VTOL thruster on this one? Rear part looks much like Yak-141 and just screams for VTOL design!
    Good idea, and apropos for it's role. I was noodling around with things and came up with this layout, obviously I'd need to redo the cockpit section but you get the gist. Seems more MiG-29ish to me. Which version do you guys thinks looks better?
    2gqo.png
    First one looks more like Yak-141 or MiG-25/MiG-31 legacy. Second one - more like MiG-29 or Su-27. I like the first one better (due to nostalgic feelings for the mentioned jets mostly), but that`s just my opinion.
    That first one looks more like a frontier fighter, especially if it has VTOL capability. It just looks more... "rugged". The second one looks more high tech, the long nose looks like it should be packed with advanced sensors, either interceptor radar or a mix of ground avoidance radar and a FLIR.

Both designs are good though.