Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVir Inter Astrum Reboot

• bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Lol! That's pretty much on the money khay! And no to elevators and I'm going to see about a nose
    cone
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Nuclear thruster =/= nuclear reactor. Tokamak style reactor =/= modern style uranium->plutonium reactor.

All I want to say that is much, much less hazardous, and without it onboard, you will NEVER achieve decent delta-V, period. If you want a little more scientific details, I advise you to read this site through:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php

quite right, i was suggesting a fusion reactor but some fission systems could still be used as main engines fairly safely if they were closed cycle. the thorium fuelled reactors currently being proposed would in all likelyhood be unable to undergo catastrophic meltdown as each fission produces only 1 neutron so a constant neutron source is needed to sustain the fission. that "project rho" is a site i am familiar with and it's pretty damned good.
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    I'll just drop this little update into the engineering symposium. ;)
    cs0y.png

i notice the tail fins are back. it's looking good, just don't add tail planes(as in horizontal stabilizers) they would ruin the appearance. what are your plans for the nose, there are many good options but i think that unless you base it on the sukhoi su 15(which would require a change to the cockpit position as well) then using the nose of the YAK 141 might be best.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    Something about the color and the profile reminds me of Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon. Which is totally cool, IMO.
    Hey Everybody.
    Happy Holidays! And yes I am back from the dead with a few WIPs. Other interests and the usual burnout have kept me from working on VIA but I'm going to get back into it part time.

First up is a revisit of the last one I was working that got very frustrating. This is going to be rethought as the commonwealth Puma strike fighter.

7ckd.png

Next up is the redesign of the MiG-231 which is supposed to be a soviet copy of the corsair. Tried to get a WWII soviet vibe going.
    ywa8.png

It's good to be back and Happy New Year to you all!
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    The original of the first one was better you seem to down grade that one
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome back bbzwbbzw, hope you're having a good holiday season. Don't burn yourself out though, remember your health and mental well-being is more important than a sci-fi project.

Personally I'm liking the new Puma, is it a two seater now? "Corsairski" Lol :lol:
    Hey Tombo, Merry belated Christmas. I'll take it easier this time; another thing was that I was getting terrible eyestrain looking at a monitor for too long, to the point where it was painful. Going to limit the amount of time I spend modeling so hopefully that wont happen.
    And yep, Puma is a 2 seater.
    Oh, been working on this on and off for a few months, not much progress yet
    gxpb.png
    the puma is the one you were working on last time you posted here? nice detail work on it but it would look better if you'd kept the tail fins and left the cockpit canopy curvy as opposed to the "flat sheets of glass" shape you now have. your corsiarski is overall excellent, well shaped and somehow "obviously russian". short of some texturing and a more detailed afterburner i don't think anything more need be added or removed. the latest craft looks like it could be some form of missile ship, the hatches along the top of the forward section would be ideal for missile tubes. the hangar like boxes along the bottom for fighters perhaps? i assume the middle bit is a spin section but clearly not complete, that bit will look better when deployed. as a final thought add some aerials and other sticking out greebles to the forward section. good to see you back!
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Yea the bubble cockpit version was way better
  • flazzaflazza0 Posts: 0Member
    the texturing on these models is awesome
    @Spacefighter: That WiP is, I believe, a rebooting of the Intrepid-class carrier. The top "hatches" are fighter hangers whilst the larger ones on the sides are for large support craft. An idea of the size of the thing can be gained by the tiny missile launcher just forward of the side hangers.
    Thanks for the comments folks.

Here is another thing I am working on. The bare metal fighter I was working on wasn't doing it for me; the mesh was really messy and I didn't like the way the wings joined the body. Also wasn't that crazy about the cockpit. So I redid the fuselage and wings from the ground up
    r7k2.png
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Happy New Year, and welcome back, Bbzw2!

When you told that you were inspired by WWII designs, I, somehow, expected the "half bubble" canopy, like front one on Mi-24 or on MiG-15. I mean - rear and sides are bubble, but front is flat armored glass. Current design looks like crossbreed of X and Y-wing from Star Wars. That`s not a bad thing - just my expression from the design. BTW, can you post a rear view of the last fighter craft?
    Happy new year to you too!
    For the Soviet one I was trying to go for an Il-2, MiG-3 mosh up. As for the Puma, I might revisit the forward fuselage and ditch the flat panel cockpit, since it is British I could go with a Harrier sort of hunchback look.

Here is the rear view;
    4q6r.jpg

And here is the Corsairski in a 2 tone grey scheme;
    7fd8.png
    Ah, in case of Il-2, then surely you`ve got the right vibe. And it DO look great with cammo on.

Also, looks like you decided to add some secondary thrusters to the rear end of the fuselage of Puma after all :)
    nice rear view their, shows of some pretty cool engines. infact i think it looks better from their than from the front. corsairski, even more awesome than last time. but have you considered a more complex afterburner shape on it, the current ones seem too plain.
  • stolistoli79 Posts: 130Member
    Firstly - welcome and nice to see a fellow Sketchup user out there doing the magic. Fantastic work and designs, I love them all, I am very interested in how you manage to achieve the UV mapping, painting or post production for these ships, they look aw sum and I am so envious that you can do this loll, please share one day if time and circumstance permits.
    Thanks stoli for the kind words. I don't UV map or anything like that, just use sketchup with about 6 plugins and a renderer called raylectron. I do the weathering and twiddly bits in photoshop. The markings, numbers and camo are done natively in sketchup by making a flat star (in the case of this soviet fighter), push / pulling it through the model, and intersecting it. The model itself is of course a group so I can play around with the placement of the 'decal' without screwing up the geometry.
    EDIT: Forgot to say that your work is excellent too and very inspiring!
    Here is a WIP of the weathering, I'd say about a quarter done;
    wb2v.png
  • stolistoli79 Posts: 130Member
    Thanks for the quick response much appreciated. I understand the making of a group and pulling it through to create numbers etc, that's cool, its the Photoshop that kills me loll. If I could paint onto the actual model and add weathering then I would be a very happy man :) but I'm guessing you are modifying an actual completed rendered image ?. Thanks for the feedback on my work, I love Sketchup, its the only program I understand how to use and is fun. This particular ship you have attached is my favorite, I love the way she tapers back and the cockpit setting is wonderful,color scheme is bang on for my taste, should look a treat when completed. I tried finding this mythical program you mentioned Raylectron but no links have come up for me? is there a site or free trial site as I am always interested in trying new render programs.
    http://raylectron.com/

Thanks for the props! And yes, I'm photoshopping a finished render. Totally wish I could do it natively in SU too.
    being able to just paint on the surface would be a very nice feature to be included in a 3d program. it would make texturing and such so much easier. nice weathering it has really emphasied some of the details.
    Well, Z-brush can do the trick, but user interface there is far from being intuitive.

And great work with weathering, Bbzw2!
    Thanks guys.
    I'm also working on a single stage to orbit rescue shuttle that is converted from a 2 stage to orbit commercial shuttle. I'm doing the commercial one first, obviously ripping off early designs for the NASA orbiter;
    zxfb.png
    Oh that's interesting. Reminds me a bit of one of the designs for Eugan Sangers sub orbital plane, the straight wings I think.
    I can see the resemblance, although it's looking a little less alike as the paneling is added;

ayth.png
    Now it looks unique. I like the braking thrusters(?) in the nose. How big is it?
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    I can see the resemblance, although it's looking a little less alike as the paneling is added;

ayth.png
    nice panel work but such straight wings don't strike me as the best design for a high speed in the atmosphere.
    Yep, retros in the nose, and it's 55m long.

And no worries about the straight wing, all the early space shuttle designs had straight wings (see Maxime Faget's concepts) and if I remember correctly the primary reason they went with a delta wing was a USAF requirement that it have a 1000 mile cross-range recovery range for polar orbits.
    Here is an update, basically done with this base model (save painting and detailing of course) and am going to start with the rescue version;
    57r5.png