Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Da Blender Ambassador Class Christmas

124»

• Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    its gorgeous - great geometry, very smooth - awesome! :thumb:

*waits for beauty pass to magically appear on screen*

Thanks. I'm glad you think it's competent. I only know what I've taught myself, though several members here have helped me out with an occasional suggestion.

Oh, I do have a beauty pass animation up on Youtube. It's before the new texturing, and a little dark, but it will probably do for now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITa54MTjt3w
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice little animation, though the some of the stars don't streak, which lets it down.
    Freak wrote: »
    Nice little animation, though the some of the stars don't streak, which lets it down.

Yeah, it was just a first attempt at compositing. I just wanted to see if I could make the basic setup work. I'll work on refining it, if I ever stop building Starships long enough...
    Okay you guys, I got enough requests and went to work and the TUTORIAL for my texturing style is now UP to read in the tutorials section. It didn't take as long to make as I had imagined :)

I hope you enjoy, and give me some feedback so I can make it better. Hopefully it's clear enough to follow; I know I certainly used a lot of pictures.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Very nicely done. I use a similar process to create image maps of various sizes without keeping to actual geometry on the mesh.

It will be interesting to see your opinion on this method when / if Blender implements using SVG vector textures. For registry markings alone I find this exciting.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    When I saw your wireframes earlier I was wondering why they were so high poly. Question answered. :) What is the polycount on your Ambassador, btw?

Great tutorial, too. ;)
    Juvat wrote: »
    When I saw your wireframes earlier I was wondering why they were so high poly. Question answered. :) What is the polycount on your Ambassador, btw?

Great tutorial, too. ;)

I'm at about 585,000 Vertices. 458, 000 Vertices, if I take out the registries, which I model as objects. The modeling is pretty much don, so that's probably close to final count. I suppose that's a lot? :lol:
    Wow.
    Juvat wrote: »
    Wow.

yup.
    I went ahead and modeled pieces to make the redress version of this mesh. When the "Enterprise C" studio model was redressed for later Trek episodes, several changes were made:

noextrabay.jpg

extrabay.jpg

noDoodad.jpg

Doodad.jpg

UncoveredBussards.jpg

CoveredBussards.jpg

PlainNavdome.jpg

DirectionalNavdome.jpg

wideback.jpg

narrowback.jpg

Overallfrontclassic.jpg

Overallfronrefit.jpg

I think that pretty much closes out the basic modeling of this mesh. I just need to fix the light effects, and give her some new registries. :cool:
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Very nicely done. I use a similar process to create image maps of various sizes without keeping to actual geometry on the mesh.

It will be interesting to see your opinion on this method when / if Blender implements using SVG vector textures. For registry markings alone I find this exciting.

Um, those both sound really interesting, but I don't really know what you're talking about. Can you explain what SVG vector is and how it would pertain to registries?

And I'm too ignorant to even ask a question about the first thing. You mean like an image map for texturing? Oh... I may know what you mean by that... or at least trying to figure out what you meant gave me a great idea for when I want to try to learn texture maps again...
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work, I like the refitted version.
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    You've made some excellent progress on this. :)

Oh and PS; http://www.adobe.com/svg/ <--all you need to know on SVG, it's basically a text based image file, rather than binary. Source looks like HTML and the image isn't dependent on DPI, so it always looks crisp even if you enlarge it.
    killakanz wrote: »
    ... SVG, it's basically a text based image file, rather than binary. Source looks like HTML and the image isn't dependent on DPI, so it always looks crisp even if you enlarge it.

Oh, yeah that would be nice. :) It would make several things much easier.
    Well, I put some last finishing touches on this model, and I think it's finally completed. (Until I learn a bunch more new things :lol:) Those last few details always seem to take forever to clean up :p Window textures, registry lights... I think it's all there now.

I'm working on a still for the galleries, but I cant decide which angle I like the best.
    I'd say either the first or second pic for the gallery. Great work on finishing her up. :)
    Nice, I would for the first.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I agree here, the first is excellent.
    Here's a quick animation I did of her official launch, following her refit. Just for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVo-9Xmmag
    Nice, though when she truns after coming out of the pod, looked a little off in her moments.