Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DST:TMP - Drydock Sequence Recreation WIP

13»

• The VorlonThe Vorlon337 Posts: 11Member
    Any chance you can make a pass without film grain? I'd love a nice modern 2010 full high-res version.
  • animatoranimator0 Posts: 0Member
    Certainly. It is added in post, so I'll render two versions.

The first video has been uploaded. There are still a couple of placeholders in this one (see if you can spot them!), but I think it looks somewhat presentable. :)

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pctut75Af4

I uploaded it to my secondary channel, just to be sure Paramount doesn't get DMCA-happy like they seem to be doing quite a lot with ST-related videos recently.
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    That is fecking amazing, it is at least equal to if not better than the original movie shots! Very well done! Just out of curiosity how long did it take to render, and what is your computer setup, if you don't mind me asking.
    Thanks, Kippa. ^^

Render time thus far has been approximately 170 hours across my network. The main renderer is a Mac Pro (Early 2009, 2.26GHz 8-Core, 16GB RAM).
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Quite good, I think I'll give a miss looking at the renders without the film grain, not to say it will not look great, because it probably will, but i definitely think the film grain adds alot of realism to it

We're you going for a bluey orange on the deflector dish on that last shot of the enterprise leaving space dock?

and before i forget, will you be giving the TMP warp streak a try too?
    In the original shots, the deflector is gold/brown towards the middle, and white towards the edges. That's what I was trying to replicate.

Yes, I will be making another attempt at the TMP warp effect. I have created an ST: III/TMP hybrid effect in a previous video (link below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg8ivnr7CNw

What is your opinion of the overall lighting? I'm debating with myself as to whether the unrealistically bright lighting in some of the older motion shots might warrant a re-render...
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    With regards to the video '1701 Refit Warp - 3rd Year of YouTube!' I would suggest that in the image there needs to be more contrast between black and white.
    kippa wrote: »
    With regards to the video '1701 Refit Warp - 3rd Year of YouTube!' I would suggest that in the image there needs to be more contrast between black and white.

That was done to replicate the TWoK style. In that and later movies, they boosted the brightness of shots, losing contrast. :)
    i think i see what you mean, in TMP space looked more... 'Dark' so the enterprise looks more self illuminated, and in TWOK afterwards, they brightened up the space scenes a bit so we can see more of the ship?
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I like the look from TMP more than the other movies, and that's what I shoot for in my renders of Dennis Bailey's Enterprise model. The idea of the ship being self-illuminated, with the spotlights on the hull contrasting the darkness of deep space, just sparks my imagination. It also makes the ship look so much bigger somehow, and so much more majestic.
    slightly off topic but a curious general question.

in TWOK due for budget reasons, they reuse the TMP launch scene, which works well with the new music and stuff etc, but after seeing ST III and the huge starbase/space dock hanger i thought it would be cool to see a launch for that.

Its just that after so many years of breath taking models, meshes, scene re enactments etc I thought somebody would of redone the twok launch, so the enterprise leaves Spackdock Hanger, instead of DryDock

but back to the thread :)
    I'd like to see that remade too, Dr (Don't look at me! :P). My next project will be "Stealing The Enterprise".

Back on topic, some more updates due either Monday or Tuesday. I've got to balance college with a pile of other things, so apologies if it is a little slow.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    animator wrote: »
    I'd like to see that remade too, Dr (Don't look at me! :P). My next project will be "Stealing The Enterprise".

Back on topic, some more updates due either Monday or Tuesday. I've got to balance college with a pile of other things, so apologies if it is a little slow.
    animator, please PM me your email address. trust me :)
    animator wrote: »

If you have some sort of tutorial on how to do the damaged hull textured, or would like to talk through how you would do it i'd be all ears.
    obviously when you come around to it that is
    If you have some sort of tutorial on how to do the damaged hull textured, or would like to talk through how you would do it i'd be all ears.
    obviously when you come around to it that is

Yes, I did write a damage texturing tutorial at some point. I'll have a look for it.
    animator, please PM me your email address. trust me :)

PM sent.
    oh i know nothing about animated damaged textures, but i've seen plenty of animations of 'stealing the enterprise' with a non damaged ship hehe