Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DST:TMP - Drydock Sequence Recreation WIP

animatoranimator0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi,

I've been working on this piece-by-piece for the last few months. The final goal is to render a recreation of the Drydock power-up and leaving sequences. For the moment, while I await arrival of the new iMac, I'm stuck with a low-end PC, meaning render-times are high, so some of the more complex scenes will have to wait until next month.

For the moment, here is what I have completed so far. A couple of shots at the current stage of this WIP are animated zooms of still images, so consider these placeholders. Mesh credits in YouTube description. :)

Video: YouTube - ST:TMP - Drydock Sequence Recreation WIP

Comments/Crits welcomed as always!

UPDATE: Lights-on shot for saucer section top completed and rendered. One more placeholder to complete, and I'll start work on the next stage of the sequence.

UPDATE 2: Final nacelle lights-on shot completed and rendered. Stage 1 of the sequence is complete.
74070.jpg
74211.jpg
Post edited by animator on
Tagged:

• tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    VERY well done! IA’m looking forward to the completed sequence! Will you be sneaking in some additional shots?
  • animatoranimator0 Posts: 0Member
    If I can blend the extra shots in with the music, absolutely. If they don't fit so well, I might tweak one or two of the original shots, but will definitely release two versions of the video (one with additions/tweaks, one without). ;)

The only scene that's worrying me at the moment is the crowded planet fly-by. It's going to be a painful wait for that to render (have not yet quite mastered Lightwave's "Textured Environment" to speed things up).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Outstanding! Keep it up!
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    This is looking VERY good. The drydock sequences from TMP are a real challenge to undertake using CGI mainly because the originals are just so beautifully done. I am extremely impressed with your attention to detail. Tell me, will you have a little Starfleet worker in a spacesuit waving as the Big E gets underway?

I'll be watching the progress on this project eagerly. Best of luck to you!
    It's the details that give it substance :). I am trying to make sure that every last camera pan/background movement translates into the scene. I've rewatched and examined the HD release of the original more times than I can count by now. xD

The Starfleet worker will certainly be there, assuming I can find/create a suitable mesh. And of course, that clearly visible model support as the ship pulls out of dock.

I'll be sure to post the end result of the power-up sequence after the final shot is done. Looking forward to starting on the next segment!
  • Pic-A-CardPic-A-Card0 Posts: 0Member
    Not bad! The whole thing could use more fill, I think - it looks like the gamma was pushed a little high (maybe it's the codec). Also, be sure to get the little flare-ups that happen when lights go out of frame :)
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I'd say this is somewhere north of spectacular!

At a couple of points it was clearly a CG recreation ... but for most of it I was lost in the moment. You made me ten years old again with this little clip!

<golfclap>
    Thanks ^^.

Pic-A-Card: I think it might be the codec. I just used FFDShow to minimize upload times/sizes.

Stage 1 is complete now, with just a few minor color-corrections and etc to be made. Here is the video:

Link: YouTube - ST:TMP - Dydock Power-Up Sequence - Final Version
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Looks excellent! And man, I love that music! It's just so perfect. For a while, I'd play it on the tape or CD player whenever I bought a new car and was taking it out on the road for the first time. A completely geeky thing to do, I know, but it made that first drive really feel like an event.

You're not really going to add the model support to the scene are you? Please tell me you were joking about that. Without emoticons I can never tell when someone is being serious or not anymore.
    You're not alone on that one ^^. I've often played this (and the ST:II) track while on a plane.

I had actually been considering the support briefly (just for the one leaving shot), but I think it will be left out. xD

It would not have been anything obvious, more like a support-shaped dark patch behind the main hull as it pulls away.
  • BartolomeusBartolomeus171 Posts: 0Member
    Very impressive work! Final sequence looks really amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Sweet!!!

My only nitpick would be the lack of some kind of specular highlights when the NCC-1701 is illuminated from the bridge dome.
    Yes, I've really got to give that bit some attention. There is some highlighting, just not enough to really be seen well.

Must read some Lightwave Surface Editor tutorials... :D
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    absolutely beautiful so far! cant wait to see it progress!
  • RekkertRekkert4070 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    Really amazing!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    A bit of an update:

I've started work on the second stage now, and am in the process of creating the first shot (where we see that excellent wide-angle shot of the Refit from behind, slow edging out of drydock). With some newly acquired knowledge of Lightwave's Surface Editor, I can now turn down the top and side blue lights of the drydock to get results closer to the original. As always, the is a WIP scene, so it is nowhere near done. I still need to get the background modified for this angle.

The objective was the capture the ceramic-vacuum-formed-like quality of the hull seen in the original. Not sure how close I am to the right effect, but eagerly await comments/suggestions :).
    74144.jpg
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    For some reason, the moment the light comes on at the fore of the nacelle (where the Bussards will be on later ships) is the only part that screams "CGI!!!" to me. Unfortunately ... and I'm not a CGI guy so I can't pin it down ... I canna figure out WHY it screams it, but it does.

Maybe one of my learned fellow posters can explain. But it's something to do with the proportions or how the nacelle feels "flat" to my eye.

Still, that little nit-pick aside, GREAT bit o' footage! You made me ten-years old ... again! Woot!
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, two nitpicks. First off, the impulse engines shouldn't be lit at this point. Another thing that I noticed in the "running lights on" shots, when the registry light on the warp engine lights up, the thruster assembly there also should light up.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work.
    Thanks for the feedback, Shadowknight1. I've corrected the impulse engine problem (they are no longer lit), and the thruster assembly is something I can fix in post. :)

While the previous scene is rendering for the first draft, I've started work on the next shot (image attached). It still has a few problems (lighting could use some work, needs background), but is gradually becoming what it needs to be.

I'll probably be posting the first videos of these shots around Friday or Saturday.
    74211.jpg
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    For some reason, the moment the light comes on at the fore of the nacelle (where the Bussards will be on later ships) is the only part that screams "CGI!!!" to me. Unfortunately ... and I'm not a CGI guy so I can't pin it down ... I canna figure out WHY it screams it, but it does.

Maybe one of my learned fellow posters can explain. But it's something to do with the proportions or how the nacelle feels "flat" to my eye.

Still, that little nit-pick aside, GREAT bit o' footage! You made me ten-years old ... again! Woot!

i'm loving this so far, but i have a nit-pick about that forward nacelle lighting too. the nacelle itself of course needs to be lit, but by all means change the effect so that it its illumination is not tied to that light can on the lower edge of the nacelle itself!!!

its impossible for that light to illuminate the nacelle itself, its like having your car's foglights illuminate your cars hood and windscreen!! :lol:

other than that, absolutelu beautifull!
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Animator, this is wonderful work!
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Impressive recreation, considering the drydock sequence is still one of the best model VFX sequences 30 years on.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    That pic is amazing - could have fooled me to think its from the movie.

Keep it up...
    animator wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, Shadowknight1. I've corrected the impulse engine problem (they are no longer lit), and the thruster assembly is something I can fix in post. :)

While the previous scene is rendering for the first draft, I've started work on the next shot (image attached). It still has a few problems (lighting could use some work, needs background), but is gradually becoming what it needs to be.

I'll probably be posting the first videos of these shots around Friday or Saturday.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    anystar wrote: »
    i'm loving this so far, but i have a nit-pick about that forward nacelle lighting too. the nacelle itself of course needs to be lit, but by all means change the effect so that it its illumination is not tied to that light can on the lower edge of the nacelle itself!!!

its impossible for that light to illuminate the nacelle itself, its like having your car's foglights illuminate your cars hood and windscreen!! :lol:

other than that, absolutelu beautifull!

Actually, that's how that is in the movie. ^_^
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Great job so far! My only real crit would be to work on the interference painting of the saucer section. I'm having real troubles with that myself right now. Keep up the good work! That sequence in the movie has always been very inspiring to me :)
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very nice!
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work ...
    Thanks everyone ^^.

I had planned to upload the video to go with that image today, before I discovered that the final render had a really peculiar artifact (everything was white!) on 2 frames. Going to look over the entire scene, then try to re-render (might do individual frames, then recombine later for safety).
  • Flibble42Flibble42331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great so far..

As far as the hull is concerned it was painted with car laquer(sp?), Lightwave has a car laquer node maybe this could help..

I played for a while just to see if it had potential..
    74526.jpg