Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DST:TMP - Drydock Sequence Recreation WIP

• whitestarwhitestar0 Posts: 0Member
    By far the most impressive Enterprise refit wip Ive ever seen. That is my favorite ship and youve done such an amazing job. Please give any more updates and maybe youll do a Enterprise-A version please.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    BTW, there's one thing you can do to improve on what the movie did. Have Earth in the background. I don't know why I never noticed it before, but Earth is never where it should be in any of the Drydock shots. In fact it frequently changes position.
  • animatoranimator0 Posts: 0Member
    whitestar wrote: »
    By far the most impressive Enterprise refit wip Ive ever seen. That is my favorite ship and youve done such an amazing job. Please give any more updates and maybe youll do a Enterprise-A version please.

Don't worry, this WIP is still being worked on. Due to recent PC problems, I had to order a new one from Apple, which only arrived today (iMac, i7 version - yellow tint problem included free of charge). This has seriously delayed all of my planned work. Expect a stream of updates from later tomorrow/Monday morning. :)
  • lexington1709lexington1709339 Posts: 29Member
    This looks AWESOME! Great work, man! Question: how did you get the correct color for the deflector dish? Mine doesn't look the same, though when I did the sampling, HD wasn't mainstream yet. :)
    For the deflector dish, I edited the diffuse texture and changed the hue to a gold-brown.

I haven't been able to post any updates for a while (although I'm really hoping that will change when Apple finally deliver my replacement iMac on Monday morning), so here is a short clip of one almost-completed shot. The animation and length are way off, but this will be fixed after all of the main problems are sorted out. :)
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    This is an amazing start to a well made sequence :)

I'm probably being a bit biased, but i loved it when they reworked the sequence in TWOK, and love the music that came with it.

But as this is the TMP version, its a great start so far and i look forward to seeing more of it.

OMG would love to see this Enterprise Refit, square off against a Reliant.. Future project maybe :P
    Thanks. ^^

The Mutara Nebula sequence is definitely a possibility after this is complete. xD
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    i only just noticed, your drydock has many elements from the modified Generations version.

do you plan to rework them to TMP?
    I have not spent enough time in Modeler to manage any serious mesh changes just yet. ^^

Update:

Another shot has been completed. It still needs a bit of Post work, but looks decent enough to upload. As always, comments/constructive criticism is encouraged. :D

Link: YouTube - ST: TMP Drydock Sequence Recreation - Rear Motion Shot WIP
    Update:

Locked side camera shot completed. Please excuse loss of quality due to compression.

Link: YouTube - ST: TMP Drydock Sequence Recreation - Side Motion Shot WIP

Only a few more to go, and I can start to composite!
    It has been far too long since I last updated this thread. **glances at date of last post, eyes widen**

I had to put this on hold for a while, but am working to complete the entire sequence by Thursday. That being right up to the Jupiter fly-bys. :)

With the advent of a Mac Pro, I've been able to re-render a few of the shots with original lens focal lengths, much better lighting and more accurate animation. So do check back occasionally for plenty of updates, starting with the seriously WIP shot below (comments/criticisms appreciated!).
    84397.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Very cool.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    animator wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been working on this piece-by-piece for the last few months. The final goal is to render a recreation of the Drydock power-up and leaving sequences. For the moment, while I await arrival of the new iMac, I'm stuck with a low-end PC, meaning render-times are high, so some of the more complex scenes will have to wait until next month.

For the moment, here is what I have completed so far. A couple of shots at the current stage of this WIP are animated zooms of still images, so consider these placeholders. Mesh credits in YouTube description. :)

Video: YouTube - ST:TMP - Drydock Sequence Recreation WIP

Comments/Crits welcomed as always!

UPDATE: Lights-on shot for saucer section top completed and rendered. One more placeholder to complete, and I'll start work on the next stage of the sequence.

UPDATE 2: Final nacelle lights-on shot completed and rendered. Stage 1 of the sequence is complete.

Man that was beautiful.
    wow, its been a while lol
  • Dennis BaileyDennis Bailey407 Posts: 54Member
    This is really cool. What models are you using, or did you build these?
    wow, its been a while lol

Haha, indeed it has. Only about 3 more shots to render, and the entire sequence as far as the Jupiter flyby will be complete (well, other than the post work).

This is really cool. What models are you using, or did you build these?

Thanks, Dennis. I am using Al's Refit and DryDock. :)

Quick update:

The compression has turned my once TMP-precise grain into rainbowy mud... Ah well. ^^;

EDIT: LightWave has been causing me problems lately. For some reason, it keeps randomly corrupting segments of frames or boosting my glow settings to insane levels over the lower segment of frames. I would be extremely grateful if anyone might know what is causing this, as I have just lost 4 hours worth of renders to this little anomaly. The high glow intensity is rendered to my tiff sequence, however when I go back and render the same frame separately, it is gone.

I'm going to run a memory test just to rule out bad RAM as a cause.
    84433.jpg
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    starting with the seriously WIP shot below (comments/criticisms appreciated!).

Question: don't see any coloring in the aztecs/hull plating, did you choose to do it that way?
    I am using Al's Refit

Don't know why I had this idea, but I was thinking you were using Dennis his refit, but from the last picture one can clearly see it's AlA’s.
  • Dennis BaileyDennis Bailey407 Posts: 54Member
    I could see in one shot that the textures on the interconnecting hull were more sophisticated than what I did, so I knew it wasn't mine. I usually recognize Al's, but in this case I didn't and was curious as to whether this was a new model.
    wjaspers wrote: »
    Question: don't see any coloring in the aztecs/hull plating, did you choose to do it that way?

Yes. I have been attempting (not very successfully) to replicate the original vacuum-formed/reflective look of the studio model, and am trying various combinations of texture modifications. I still have some way to go in terms of mastering LightWave's renderer.

An example of the look I am aiming for would be the nacelle texturing during its power-up shot from your own remake. Any tips you could offer would be very helpful. :)
    Since my model has modeled hull plating it was easy to give the plates their own material and reflectiveness etc.
    I once did the same with Dennis his mesh in 3dsmax, but this was because Dennis his mesh came with colored aztec/hull plating textures, which where easily adjusted to the look needed. In case of Al's mesh, don't know if his textures are just grey tones, in that case I wouldn't know.
    Ah, I see. Maybe I'll do a retexture at some point.

For now, another update:

This is one of the redone shots. Not totally finished, but will be with a few more minutes in AE. The Jupiter pass shots still look a little daunting to composite, lol.

Apologies if the color temperature on these is a little cold. My monitors both have different color temperatures, so I'll have no basis for comparison until I get my upgrade next month (HP ZR30W).
    84462.jpg
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Beautiful...love the soft feel to this, really feels like film and not 3D. I need to back up and check this thread out more :)

I was just listening to the soundtrack from this the other day, and the music that goes with this scene is really one of favorites in all the Star Trek movies. That and the Overture in the beginning. Reminds me of the best parts of Star Trek. The wonder and the majesty of space.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    This is amazing work, very realistic looking with nary a hint of its CGI origins. I did notice a little flub in your most recent image, though. The "Enterprise" banner on the underside of the saucer (located near where the saucer and dorsal neck merge) is backward, or maybe upiside-down. It should be placed so that the banner is readable as the ship moves away from the viewer's POV. It's a little nitpick, but I thought you'd want to know about it.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    I really like how the Enterprise looks in this last shot.

Those light-panels on the drydock look odd though.
    ST-One wrote: »
    Those light-panels on the drydock look odd though.

You're right, they do look a bit strange. There's no camera movement, so I'll mask it in post. ^^

Another update:

Saucer section front shot completed. I'm particularly happy with how this one came out. :D
    84487.jpg
    these pics have some real movie studio model quality feel to them, if you were to go on to add workbees and little guys in space suits, would probably not be able to spot the difference between what is yours and is TMP
    Thanks, Dr-Timelord. I'll probably get the working draft of the sequence finished first, then go back afterward and add in all of the extras. Should have some video ready to post by this evening.
    Sweet! Can't wait
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    You just screen capped screen shots from the movie, you cheater!
    LOL JK

This is pretty good. Does feel and look like the movie. Just thread in some shots of William Shatner from the movie and people won't be able to tell the difference.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.