Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy WIPs

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Ah now I see why you weren't sleeping :p
    Nice boxes :D
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not normally a TOS guy, but I started this:
    surya000.jpg
    surya001.jpg
    83204.jpg83205.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1216 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,644Member
    Very awesome. :D
    Getting closer to getting it right, thanks Tallguy, whereever you may be :p

20100805215344clipboard.jpg

20100806002439clipboard.jpg

20100806002933clipboard.jpg
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member
    Very nice. It looks like you have a seam or crease between the saucer and the upper deck. Glad you could get that shape sorted out, though.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    That seam is just some geometry sticking out, the rim is one object.

I was going about cutting the step in wrong, if I just cut it in from the top as a straight line, I get all the curvature I need m( (that's a facepalm emote by the way :p)
    I was wondering when Tallguy would see this, lol... the ship's coming along great! :)
    Finalizing the shape, no more seams and sticking out geometry :)
    83552.jpg83553.jpg
    I guess everyone hates the TOS Miranda ships? :p

More updates, regardless :flippy:
    83582.jpg83583.jpg
    Ok here's a post to push it through :p Not much to comment anyway :devil:
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771405 PNWPosts: 763Member
    Melak wrote: »
    I guess everyone hates the TOS Miranda ships? :p

More updates, regardless :flippy:

I like it! :thumb:

Right now it seems pretty basic. Not much to comment on I guess. The only thing I can think of is that the rear section seems a bit short from these views. That was one of the issues I had with the blueprints when I built my version.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I like it as well..
    Lizzy777 wrote: »

Right now it seems pretty basic. Not much to comment on I guess. The only thing I can think of is that the rear section seems a bit short from these views. That was one of the issues I had with the blueprints when I built my version.

What set of blueprints/orthos were you using for refs?
    What set of blueprints/orthos were you using for refs?

I used a lot of images for my references. The USS Reliant, (TMP) the Dollond Class HC, Surya, and Vindicator (TOS) from cygnus-x are some I can recall right off. Also someone linked a set of prints at TrekBBS some time ago that looked like it was pieced together from a collection of premade parts. It took me a bit of searching to get a good set of images to use.

In the end I mostly just redesigned the Reliant to more of a TOS look and designed my own pylons and roll bar with torp launcher. The TOS blueprints I referenced became more of a style guide than a build guide.
  • publiusrpubliusr558 Posts: 1,758Member
    Ah Neale Davidson IIRC Vances Toolkits fame.
    Lizzy777 wrote: »

Hmm, well it's short in the sense of being just as long as the saucer would be, some plans show it that way some differently.
    Ok here's a post to push it through :p Not much to comment anyway :devil:

Thanks, seems to have worked :thumb:

Some more progress :)

20100810113347clipboard.jpg

20100810113403clipboard.jpg
    83619.jpg83620.jpg
    publiusr wrote: »
    Ah Neale Davidson IIRC Vances Toolkits fame.

Those are the orthos I gave Melak to work from, as I like Vance's take on the ship the best.

Updates look great, btw. :)
    WHeee, updates!
    83731.jpg83732.jpg83734.jpg
    More pictures..

Surya_Class_WIP_7_by_Melak47.jpg

Surya_Class_WIP_6_by_Melak47.png
    Damn... this is a tough crowd... seriously not much love for this ship here, lol... I guess because it's not a Connie... :P

Well, basically, Melak graciously agreed to make this ship for me, and I am starting to see why modelers don't much like it... every set of orthos and refs for this ship is different, and to make matters worse, there are TWO classes of "TOS Miranda" out there... the Surya and Coventry. I am finding that I am having to use bits of both to rationalize this design into something truly viable as a Starfleet vessel.

One example is the "box" thing that was on the top aft hull, by the impulse engines... that is a feature of the Surya, but on this ship, it made the hull look too busy, so I borrowed the "spine" section from the Coventry, to simplify it, and make the hull look more open.

I was kinda hoping Tallguy would see this WIP thread, and offer any insight he may have, as he himself tried one of these a while back. Oh, well, lol.

I think it's coming along great, though. :)
    It isn't that there's no love for this ship or the design itself. It's just that TOS style ships have been done so many times. In order to get more attention it seems people have to do something that really stands out.

Right now the model is still pretty basic. The mesh work looks clean so far, but there really isn't much to it yet. Like a blank, resin model just waiting to be detailed!

If you want another take on a similar design, here's what I did:
    http://lady-die.deviantart.com/art/USS-Miranda-ortho-1-161610512
    http://lady-die.deviantart.com/art/USS-Miranda-ortho-2-161610526
    Hmm..it needs to stand out you say?

20100819000747clipboard.jpg
    Melak wrote: »
    Hmm..it needs to stand out you say?

You forgot the engine blower on the front. :lol:
    That's pretty neat, Lizzy... I like how you extended the main hull to accommodate the extra parts, like the box on the upper aft hull, because on a smaller hull, it really makes the ship look crowded.

I see your point about Trek ships, but it seems like so many people post Connies and stuff, and get regular feedback on them, lol. No worries. As for the lack of detail... unfortunately, TOS ships didn't have as much surface details and greebles as movie-era and TNG and beyond ships did...
    I know how Jefferies wanted to keep a clean and neat exterior for his ship designs. That's why TOS ships look so plain. When I built my Miranda, it was actually difficult for me to hold back on adding stuff. For detailing, I really liked how Koerner designed his version, plus there are a number of other talented artists on this very forum that have their own touches to the classic design.

As for the lack of feedback. That's SFM for ya!
    Is that fumeFX ? Anyway, where's the updates !? School starts soon and you won't have time to do anything ! :flippy:
    Hehe no I'm not that bored :p

I was just messing around with Howard's great explosion...it's all particles and max materials, just one tiny image file. It's really quite educational :)

And, relax dude! Classes don't start til October :p
    Ah great so you're not doing your own models and only using other modelers' ideas :p
    But seriously it looks really cool, I will have to look into the effect myself - it could be adapted to a lot of situations.
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Was just about to say you are doing a good job on the Miranda and then saw the fumes... and it made me chuckle :D even so I like what you have done so far with the design. TOS designs tend to be simple yet elegant in designflow which is kind of hard to texture I think. At least I have that when working on TOS 2d designs.

But keep it up and I'll keep watching this thread for inspiration.
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member
    It's looking nice so far. TOS ships are known for their clean lines, but really go look at the TOS Enterprise - she'll surprise you. If you can capture that "detailed but clean" look you'll have a winner.

I know what you mean by the multiple plans for this type of ship. David Nielsen drew his set of plans to go with his Avenger Class plans and then Todd Guenther made his own modifications in Ships of the Star Fleet. My own take on it was to adapt David's original plans as faithfully as I could but add Todd's window placement. So all of my components (bridge, engines, etc.) follow the dimensions from the Franz Joseph Constitution rather than the TOS 11 foot series model (like Todd's plans do).

I just saw the comment about how you're using the various "pre-Mirandas" as a "style guide". Nicely put.

It's really such an iconic configuration that anything with a saucer and underslung nacelle's is a "whatever-Reliant". New Voyages did their own take on it. The Nebula from TNG is kind of a "TNG-Reliant" (kina). Heck there was even a "JJ-Reliant" in the 2009 Star Trek.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle